Skate America returns to Chicago | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Skate America returns to Chicago

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I had the whole nine yards, four rows out in 2014. I TOTALLY recommend the practices! You get to see your faves practice for all of that extra time, and it’s loose and fun.

I'm already picturing Gracie, Ashley, Mao, and Gabby on the rink at the same time! :yahoo: And also Jason, Adam, Shoma, Jin. :hap57: I'm getting all excited just thinking about it. I'm losing it! :hap10:

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I'm already picturing Gracie, Ashley, Mao, and Gabby on the rink at the same time! :yahoo: And also Jason, Adam, Shoma, Jin. :hap57: I'm getting all excited just thinking about it. I'm losing it! :hap10:

Oh yes!
......and random things like this happen, although Mirai won’t be there this year I guess. I hope you have a Facebook page, If so, this will show up.
An elevator usher said that I missed Samantha Cesario breaking in to a dance by the elevator when signing autographs for her fans. I would have paid extra $$ to see that one!
https://www.facebook.com/dave.smith.7505/videos/vb.520122726/10153438353737727/?type=2&theater
I’ll load some more stuff.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yes!
......and random things like this happen, although Mirai won’t be there this year I guess. I hope you have a Facebook page, If so, this will show up.
An elevator usher said that I missed Samantha Cesario breaking in to a dance by the elevator when signing autographs for her fans. I would have paid extra $$ to see that one!
https://www.facebook.com/dave.smith.7505/videos/vb.520122726/10153438353737727/?type=2&theater
I’ll load some more stuff.

Oh yes! :yes2:This is the good stuff! I bumped into Tarah K. and Danny O. at Worlds and had a chance to meet Max A. at Nationals. Talked with Dick Button for a bit. I treasure these moments! I'm a big Shoma fan so really look forward to seeing him.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope this is o.k. to post this here. It is my S.A. 2014 "review" from my FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dave...le-days-at-skate-america-2014/768955476474957
:) It was my first competition, and when I looked it up with 3 weeks before it, I found it was only AN HOUR away like 2016 will be.

Oh this is so awesome. Your vivid report makes me feel like I'm there! Brings back such good memories of the 2014 competition! I enjoyed it so much! It was my 2nd big competition (2014 Nationals being the first), so I was still kind of awestruck. I live near Woodfield, so it was a piece of cake to go to the Sears Centre. They did an awesome job in '14, and I assume they will this time too. Are they possibly testing the waters to make a bid for Nationals?! :drama::palmf:

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Oh yes! :yes2:This is the good stuff! I bumped into Tarah K. and Danny O. at Worlds and had a chance to meet Max A. at Nationals. Talked with Dick Button for a bit. I treasure these moments! I'm a big Shoma fan so really look forward to seeing him.
Cool! A few days ago, I found out that with my VIP pass, I also get a Meet n Greet! I didn't even know it! :love:
Oh this is so awesome. Your vivid report makes me feel like I'm there! Brings back such good memories of the 2014 competition! I enjoyed it so much! It was my 2nd big competition (2014 Nationals being the first), so I was still kind of awestruck. I live near Woodfield, so it was a piece of cake to go to the Sears Centre. They did an awesome job in '14, and I assume they will this time too. Are they possibly testing the waters to make a bid for Nationals?! :drama::palmf:

Thank you so much! I LOVE to write, and I have about 85 notes, (essays) on FB. LOL Unfortunately, people don't read them all that much. I LOVE that Sears venue. It's a great place. I saw Carrie Underwood at the Allstate Arena, and it was BAD in terms of sound, seating, etc. I did an essay on her also.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cool! A few days ago, I found out that with my VIP pass, I also get a Meet n Greet! I didn't even know it! :love:

Thank you so much! I LOVE to write, and I have about 85 notes, (essays) on FB. LOL Unfortunately, people don't read them all that much. I LOVE that Sears venue. It's a great place. I saw Carrie Underwood at the Allstate Arena, and it was BAD in terms of sound, seating, etc. I did an essay on her also.

Congrats on the Meet and Greet! That should be great! Do you know is that American skaters or all participating skaters? 2 years ago a friend of mine won amazing VIP tickets in a raffle. They were great seats and included a VIP lounge and some food and drinks but no Meet and Greet. (And the raffle tickets were being sold by Jason Brown's brother -- which was an adventure in itself!) Pretty awesome.

After attending several Wolves games and a Stars on Ice at Allstate, I said Never Again. I am 5'2" and yet could barely fit in those horrible seats. I really do think Sears could handle Nationals, although it is a bit of a drawback that it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. We do have enough skating clubs that I think they could come up with enough of the needed volunteers. We can always dream, right?!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This may have been answered earlier in the thread and I missed it, but does anyone know the official host hotel?
Is it the close by Marriott? Half the fun is seeing the skaters in the lobby at these events.
Thanks for any help.

I don't think we know yet. Usually that info is in the announcement, which isn't up on the ISU website yet.

... I believe the Marriott Northwest is the closest hotel.

Update:

The official hotel is the Chicago Marriott Northwest, per the Announcement (which now has been published -- I noticed it on the ISU site for the first time today).

http://static.isu.org/media/371174/gpusa-2016_-announcement_final.pdf (see page 7)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Perfect! That's the Marriott I booked back in May, for a killer rate! :cool:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I contacted Sears Arena to find out if they have free Wi Fi. Unfortunately, the answer was no. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wanted to know.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
FYI: Single-session tix went on sale today. In my searches, I'm seeing VIP-level tix available for all individual sessions.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great news to hear! That's what I hoped to see for the TBD spot in men. I'm so glad for Timothy. I also hope Castelli/Tran get the pair spot.[/I]

Would love to see Marissa and Mervin! I love them, and it would be fun to see how they would do against Tarah and Danny.

ETA Hooray - Marissa and Mervin are competing!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
FYI: Single-session tix went on sale today. In my searches, I'm seeing VIP-level tix available for all individual sessions.

Looks like you are the senior member/grand pooba/Lord High executioner at this event! ;) To all those that are going, sabinefire really knows skating and is a great person. Me, I only like to watch. I did four events last year and this year I am only doing Nats. SA is a great event, though and this year's has a great cast of charactors...hope y'all that are going have a wonderful time....and dont forget to cheer for my Gracie.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/C...l 2015/a g 1_zps3lj013jr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

Drink a toast to absent friends and I will see you at nats...

On the road somewhere in the west
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/C...6/Chris pic 1_zpsbjlflkyr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

ozmodiar

On the Ice
I just noticed the Shibs are no longer on the dance page of entrants on the SA website. :(

Agafonova/Ucar have also been removed. Castelli/Tran have been added to the pairs page.