Skate America returns to Chicago | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Skate America returns to Chicago

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just noticed the Shibs are no longer on the dance page of entrants on the SA website. :(

Agafonova/Ucar have also been removed. Castelli/Tran have been added to the pairs page.

My two cents:

The Skate America site never has showed the dance entries entirely correctly, so I would not be worried re the Shibutanis.

The Shibs are shown on this page of the Skate America site:

Although not on this page:

AFAIK, Agafonova/Ucar never have been listed on either page. I do not know why. But I think the problem is that the Skate America site always has been wrong -- and I think that the Turkish couple remain entered.

Both the Shibs and the Turkish couple remain on the ISU list for Skate America.

And the Shibs remain listed for Skate America on the USFS assignments page.

Last edited:

ozmodiar

On the Ice
My two cents:

The Skate America site never has showed the dance entries entirely correctly, so I would not be worried re the Shibutanis.

You're probably right. It's odd they don't correct the page when they are updating for other entrants, though.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well after thinking for some time, and not having tickets yet, I'm not going to Skate America this year. :( I wish I could, but it'll be too hectic with coming back Sunday night (Since if I go I WANT to see the men's events) and I have a number of tests coming up that week. I wish it could be different. But my education is more important. Hopefully next Skate America...or maybe a 2018 Nationals. Besides I already been to the one in Chicago in 2014 (Though only for men's and dance) so I won't miss too much arena-wise. But I'll miss seeing an Ashley-Gracie showdown, my 4th time seeing Jason Brown and Denis Ten skate, seeing Maxim Kovtun skate, and more. I'll be watching on streams and checking up on lunch breaks during the stunt clinic though and when I'm at home.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
My two cents:

The Shibs are shown on this page of the Skate America site:

Although not on this page:

AFAIK, Agafonova/Ucar never have been listed on either page. I do not know why. But I think the problem is that the Skate America site always has been wrong -- and I think that the Turkish couple remain entered.

Both the Shibs and the Turkish couple remain on the ISU list for Skate America.

And the Shibs remain listed for Skate America on the USFS assignments page.

Thank you! You saved me from having a heart attack. Although it's odd that the Shibs are the odd team out in that other link considering that Pogrebinsky/Benoit were just added. Maybe because there is an odd number of entries, whoever did the design for the athletes page did not realize he/she left off the Shibs when adding Pogrebinsky/Benoit.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you! You saved me from having a heart attack. Although it's odd that the Shibs are the odd team out in that other link considering that Pogrebinsky/Benoit were just added. Maybe because there is an odd number of entries, whoever did the design for the athletes page did not realize he/she left off the Shibs when adding Pogrebinsky/Benoit.

I can't swear that my memory is reliable as to the following, but IIRC(??):

Before Ellie and Alex were added to Skate America, I think(???) the ice dance page on the Skate America website showed the names and images of eight couples -- including the Shibutanis, but not including (for some reason) the Turkish couple.
Then when Ellie and Alex got added to the page, I think the Shibs disappeared.
Maybe the parameters of the page originally were set for four rows with two columns, and never have been changed?? (Although they should have been five rows with two columns from the beginning.)

Still doesn't explain why the Turkish couple always has been MIA from both the ice dance page and the athletes page (AFAIK).
But as long as the Shibs and the Turkish couple remain on the ISU list, I don't think they have withdrawn.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I can't swear that my memory is reliable as to the following, but IIRC(??):

Before Ellie and Alex were added to Skate America, I think(???) the ice dance page on the Skate America website showed the names and images of eight couples -- including the Shibutanis, but not including (for some reason) the Turkish couple.
Then when Ellie and Alex got added to the page, I think the Shibs disappeared.
Maybe the parameters of the page originally were set for four rows with two columns, and never have been changed?? (Although they should have been five rows with two columns from the beginning.)

Still doesn't explain why the Turkish couple always has been MIA from both the ice dance page and the athletes page (AFAIK).
But as long as the Shibs and the Turkish couple remain on the ISU list, I don't think they have withdrawn.

That's true. I was wondering why there were only 9 entries and knew they had to be missing an entry even accounting for the Shibs. I think maybe they confused the fact that pairs only had 8 with the idea that it was also true for ice dance.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Castelli/Tran have been added to the pairs page.

It is about time. I don't know why USFSA took so long to take them into the event. They are the reigning National bronze medalists. I fee like the federation wanted to look for better fish than them.

charmblade

Final Flight
I do wonder if part of the reason USFSA took so long to add Castelli/Tran is due to Mervin's concussion. I'm not sure of the exact timing, but it sounds like that at least for the last few weeks/month he has been off the ice a lot and they may have been waiting to see how his recovery progressed. It doesn't necessarily explain why they hadn't named them before the concussion (I don't think it happened a real long time ago) but the timing may have worked out such that the fed was hesitant to add them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's true. I was wondering why there were only 9 entries and knew they had to be missing an entry even accounting for the Shibs. I think maybe they confused the fact that pairs only had 8 with the idea that it was also true for ice dance.

More reassurance re the Shibs is in the USFS tweet today promoting the ice dance comp at Skate America:

The tweeted graphic has photos of the Shibutanis, H/D, and P/B.

(I agree that your theory is plausible that the Skate America website designer got confused b/c pairs has only eight entries. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but just a shame that one of the omissions would be the reigning US champions in ice dance and world silver medalists.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Skate America site has been corrected re the Shibutanis.

Their names and image have been added (added back, IIRC) to the page of ice dance entries.

And they still are listed on the page for athletes from all disciplines.

But Agafanova/Ucar unfortunately remain completely missing from the Skate America site -- even though the ice dance page now has an obvious "hole" next to the Shibutanis.

Probably just an oversight -- which might have originated with the USFS press release announcing GP and Skate America assignments. The Turkish couple are missing from the Jun 30 press release as well.

The names of the Turkish couple do continue to appear on the ISU site.

ETA (on Oct 11):
Agafanova/Ucar's names and graphic finally have been added to the Skate America site's page for ice dance :).

Last edited:

bluebell0710

Rinkside
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this topic and I want to ask for some SA information. Because maybe I would strive for a business trip to USA next month, I want to see if I can go to SA live.
So the most important question is: Is there any ticket available on sale? Any website for ticket? I would get the ticket first then go to Chicago. I don't want to stay outside the rink.
And the second question is: is there public transit between the Chicago airport and the rink? I'm not a driver... if ther is no metro...I don't know how I can go to the rink.
And the third question is: is there any hotel recommended?

My English is not good. Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this topic and I want to ask for some SA information. Because maybe I would strive for a business trip to USA next month, I want to see if I can go to SA live.
So the most important question is: Is there any ticket available on sale? Any website for ticket? I would get the ticket first then go to Chicago. I don't want to stay outside the rink.
And the second question is: is there public transit between the Chicago airport and the rink? I'm not a driver... if ther is no metro...I don't know how I can go to the rink.
And the third question is: is there any hotel recommended?

My English is not good. Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

You might find the official web site helpful www.2016skateamerica.com. It gives info on a variety of topics. Throughout this particular thread, we were discussing how there is no public transportation for the arena area (Hoffman Estates). The closest hotel to the arena is a Marriott, but it is possible that it is sold out by now.

bluebell0710

Rinkside
You might find the official web site helpful www.2016skateamerica.com. It gives info on a variety of topics. Throughout this particular thread, we were discussing how there is no public transportation for the arena area (Hoffman Estates). The closest hotel to the arena is a Marriott, but it is possible that it is sold out by now.
OK. Thank you very much for your reply. Let me check the topics in that website first.