Skate Canada Gala..... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Gala.....

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ladskater said:
Germanice:

I really don't think any disrespect was directed to Plushenko. He was the "golden boy" of Skate Canada and got the spoltlight in the show. I am sure Plushenko respected Yag's recognition by Skate Canada. Plushenko even commented that he thinks Jeff Buttle is one of the most talented skaters he has seen.

I think Plushenko acted like a true gentleman in his words about Yagudin. The same cannot be said about Yagudin´s comments. I´m refering to a Skate Canada interview where Plushenko spoke about Yagudin being a great skater, etc. Yagudin mentioned about Plushenko something like "I don't really care what's happening with him right now".

Plushenko though was not the only winner in this competition and I cannot understand why skating fans are saying e.g. that "no disrespect was directed to Plushenko"? There were three other winners in this competition and they all were put into a shadow because of Yagudin performing after them. I´m not saying that Yagudin did not deserve an honour, but where and when and how is another matter.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Thank you, Windspirit and Ladskater! Much appreciated! Windspirit, would you really do that for me? Is it okay to "collect" the recordings and send me the
tape(s) at the end of the pro season (... whenever that is?)?? Ladskater, yesterday I've found a German source for the tape; I'll try that first. If that doesn't work, I'll let you know. Again - a big THANX to both of you! :)

As for Yags' "legitimacy" to give his farewell at/after the Skate Canada Gala and the whole "he's-stealing-the-attention-away-from-other-skaters"-case one last remark from me, even though this topic is getting tiring: Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far I haven't heard any reports about "cheer watchers" there, standing right behind every member of the audience with a stop-watch in their hands, hissing something like "Hey, simpleton, are you NUTS? How dare you to applaud and cheer that much and loud for skater X!!! Spare it! Don't you know the great and legendary YAGUDIN!!!! is doing his farewell performance HERE right after this???" in everybody's ear. This is ridiculous. Canadian audiences are normally famous for being tremendously supportive, appreciative and enthusiastic, and there's always enough room for everyone.

Yes, I have to agree with Jaana, actually Plush is saying more nice things about Yags than the opposite (Alexei! Whatever you're planning to do in the future ... NEVER EVER! become politician or diplomat! ;)). On the other hand I truly believe "Yags fans" are saying waaaaay more nice things about Plush than the opposite. Deuce. ;)

Anke

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Edited! Silly me! Actually I've only done it to bring one more Alexei pic in this particular topic .... :laugh:

Anke

Kasey

Medalist
Good grief, you would think with Yags going into the ineligible category, that Plush vs. Yags would be done with! I guess everyone had to get one more little snide comment in on this one, huh?

Yags asked the people at Skate Canada if it would be possible to end his eligible career there...THEY agreed to it. If you want to bitch and moan about someone, let it be the powers that be at Skate Canada who allowed this horrible travesty to occur! :rolleye: As for the comments between Plush and Yags about each other...it has already been seen OVER AND OVER that they are two totally different guys, with totally different ways of speaking. And for the record, anyone here in my hometown who saw the news coverage about Champions on Ice coming through here a couple years ago heard Plush comment on Yags as a "psychotic ballerina on ice", so lets not get on the high horse here. Is their rivalry buildup to make competitions more interesting? Is is just on the ice, or in real life too? Who the hell cares??? It DID make their competitions more interesting, so if that was the whole idea, it worked! :laugh: But Plush has usually been more tactful discussing their relationship...and Yagudin has PROBABLY been the more honest of the two about his feelings! If you don't like someone, there are different ways to say that...the two of them have constantly shown those two different ways. And let's not forget that as much as Plush has stated that Yags is a "traitor" for leaving Russia to train, he himself also admitted that "I am the focus now, now I have what I want". A change that worked out for the two.

The honest facts are, no matter what the final tally between the two ended up being in head to head competition, Yags won 4 out of the 5 most important competitions they were both in together: 1998 Worlds, 1999 Worlds, 2000 Worlds, and 2002 Olympics. Perhaps Plush fans are upset now that they don't have this same rivalry because future winnings of Plush's may be taken with a grain of salt: Sure, he won...but man, what if a healthy Yagudin was around still....???? HA HA HA HA

Kasey

bestskate8

On the Ice
Bitter Yags fans here you are to protect you boy:laugh:
My point was SC was NOT the right place for Yag to skate at Gala.;) Of course I didn't have the pleasure to see Yags there.
He wanted to upset Zhenya by his appearance or what? Thanks god Zgenya is not like him and seams doesn't care :D

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I knew that Yags was a good skater but I didn't know he had such power to upset Plushy's fans so much. Of course he only has that power as long as you Plushy fans continue to give it to him. I think that someone with Evgeny's showmanship can still be the star of the show even if Yags skates. Fans quit pouting , it's tacky and have a little faith in your guy. He deserves better.

Piel

Kasey

Medalist
Bumblebee1...

I didn't include 2002 Worlds because I was only mentioning the major competitions that Yags and Plush were BOTH at...Plushy wasn't at 2002 Worlds.

Kasey

curious

Final Flight
Let's not get into Yags honest feelings for Plush:D Like I have said before,I don't buy his hate for Plushy. Plushenko's future winnings won't be affected or diminished by Yags absence since he is the only skater who can(and has in the past)beat him. I read in a recent Plush interview that he bought a house recently, Yags also bought a land( I think)in Avon to build a house. Nice coincidence don't you think? :D

Kasey

Medalist
what the hell are you implying now, Curious? Whatever their personal feelings for each other, for cripe's sakes, let it go! And "coincidence", that two young, successful athletes each purchase home and/or property around the same time? Oh, how utterly shocking!

Germanice

On the Ice
He wanted to upset Zhenya by his appearance or what? Thanks god Zgenya is not like him and seams doesn't care
No, Evgeny wasn't upset at all, but unfortunately some of his "fans" are not like him and "seam" to care pretty much ... :laugh:

Anke

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Germanice, how do you know that the skaters (ALL the winners, I mean) were not upset? It can be a totally different matter what they say and what they really feel... Of course Yagudin might act differently, LOL. I remember from a certain IFS interview him saying that it was a bit disrespectful that Michelle Kwan was the one to close the show in COI 2002 tour (in those shows were Sarah Hughes did not skate)...

Marjaana

Last edited:

alina

Rinkside
Germanice, how do you know that the skaters (ALL the winners, I mean) were not upset? It can be a totally different matter what they say and what they really feel...
Imagine Plushenko would have said something against Yagudin´s performance: it would have happened a huge outcry in the skating scene. And the officials didn´t want that because Yagudin´s skating was a very good PR for this skating event.

I think it was well calculated by Yagudin. What a coincidence! It was Plushenko´s first GP and Yagudin had to have his show there! Good timing!

Germanice

On the Ice
Jaana said:
Germanice, how do you know that the skaters (ALL the winners, I mean) were not upset? It can be a totally different matter what they say and what they really feel...
Yeah, must be the reason why the majority of them (sorry, of course I don't have the entire list!) were standing around the ice just to watch Alexei's performance. As far as I know nobody was forced to do that. And just have a look at these pics; they're showing Yags with some of those "poor, overshadowed" skaters right after the SC Gala. Sorry, but they don't look that much "upset" to me .... :)

http://www.kgphotos.com/
Updates/Skate Canada/Off ice/Alexei Yagudin

As for COI - this is a complete different story and of course I have an opinon here. But it wouldn't be very wise to drag the Kwan-fans into this particular thread, it's already long enough, don't you think? ;)

I guess that's why this is my last post on this topic.

Anke

PS: Plush fans (I'm kinda one myself)! Yags is no angel, but why not stop to "demonize" him and have a little more trust in your guy?

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Yags' speech was heartfelt, and beautiful. I've always had the utmost respect for him and wish him all the best. I wish ABC had shown the last performance, but oh well. It was nice to look back at his earlier years. I wish they had shown more of the 97-98 season though hehe that's when I fell in love with him.

Kasey

Medalist
I realize (or am hoping!) that more was shown in the Canadian version of Skate America of Yag's "farewell". I mean, wow, 2 1/2 minutes WASTED on the reigning Olympic champion! For Shame ABC!!! lol. Yeah, I'm sure if Plush caught the American version of this, I'm sure he's pretty rattled by all the attention given to his retiring rival! LOLOL

Farewell Yags, you deserved better from us and ABC!

Kasey

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
THEY agreed to it. If you want to bitch and moan about someone, let it be the powers that be at Skate Canada who allowed this horrible travesty to occur!
Actually, what they had to do was close the SC event for Alexei to even skate. They said something like--- SC, Grand Prix, competition is officially closed. So it had nothing to do with Alexei taking anything away from any other skater. This was a totally separate event. Also, fans (Evgeni's or otherwise) had the opportunity to leave if they chose to do so. There was about a 15-20 minute break in between.

Bitter Yags fans here you are to protect you boy
My point was SC was NOT the right place for Yag to skate at Gala. Of course I didn't have the pleasure to see Yags there.
Bestskate8, he didn't skate at the Gala. What is it you don't understand? I had asked you a question before and you didn't answer, please answer this one. Thanks

Dee

windspirit

On the Ice
Bestskate8, someone asked how old you were. If you are who I think you are, you're 40. Which makes your whole obsession fascinating, in a sad way.

As for those who can't understand how and why some of us don't think that Yagudin robbed anyone. Have you heard about the scarcity mentality and the abundance mentality? Clearly, people who don't think that Yags robbed someone of something by appearing there are in the second group. There are some things that are scarce in the world, but applause, admiration, love, etc. are not among those things. Not to me, at least. He didn't take anything from the winners of SC, their records still stand. They had their medal ceremonies, and the exhibition. They got all the applause, recognition, etc., they could get. If someone didn't want to have any part in Yags' farewell, they had a chance to leave before it came on. If you feel he doesn't deserve attention, just don't give him any. It's that simple.

If it was, say, Michelle Kwan instead of Yags, then even though she's not one of my favorite skaters, I would've stayed to watch her farewell skate. I would consider it a historic moment, and I would give her all the applause I could. It wouldn't take anything from my favorites or SC winners, and wouldn't cost me a thing. But then again, I don't hate her and I'm not obsessed about her.

It's really amazing how much energy people are willing to spend on demonizing Yagudin or trying to guess his motives (excluding those, of course, who "know" them for a fact -- telepathically, that is :laugh: ). Which for some, accidentally, is one and the same thing, as in majority of times the motives they come up with are negative. The truth is, unless someone sits in Yags head and reads his mind, they're, more or less, projecting their own -- whatever. Of which Bestskate8 is a great example.

windspirit

On the Ice
alina said:
i have them. how can we do it?
Thank you so much! I'll think of something, but first I have to know how big those files are. I'll send you a PM.

And now, after I saw what ABC had to show us, I think I'll be needing the tape from Canada, too. Lad, could you make me a copy of your tape? I'll pay for the tape and shopping costs, of course. But if you couldn't, and someone else could -- please PM me. I'd really appreciate it.

Yes, Anke! I can make you a copy of whatever they show of him. No problem. You shouldn't suffer just because Alexei's decided to leave amateur sport, right? :laugh:

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/pics/yags_f5.JPG

And two much bigger ones here:
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/pics/yags_f1.jpg
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/pics/yags_f3.JPG

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's really amazing to read all the negative comments here about Yags. I don't know if any of you are figure skaters, but as a former skater I can attest to the fact that the figure skating world is somewhat like a large family. If you have been connected to it for a long time, it sort of becomes an extended family - at least that is how it was when I skated.

The tribute for Yags was not an affront for Plushenko or any of the other skaters.

Canada has a long tradition of sort of "adopting" skaters. Yags loved to skate here and was treated as "one of the family" by Skate Canada." So it was not inappropriate for his farewell skate to take place at Skate Canada.

I am sure Takeshi Honda would be given the same treatment if he announced he is retiring. He has trained here for so long, we have pretty much "adopted" him.

I wish people would take things in the spirit they are given and be gracious about it.

Plushenko has many great moments ahead - maybe Skate Canada will honour him with a farewell someday.