So that is how they file things at tower records | Golden Skate

So that is how they file things at tower records

E

eltamina

So that is how they file things at tower records

I have noticed for a long time that there is no place card for one of my favorite violinists Hilary Hahn. In the violinist section, there are cards and sections for just about any violinsts, including the immortal gods and kings, e.g. Heifetz, and Oistrakh box sets. There is even a place card for Vanessa Mae!!! How dare they ignore Hilary, who IMO may develop into one of the greatest violinist of the 21st century.

So I asked Mr. C, the manager of the classical/ jazz section (Mr. C is a nice, and knowledgeable guy).

He said, "She has no recitals!!"

I was thinking Huh!!! I am sure Hilary Hahn has given a lot of recitals.

I asked, "What do you mean?"

Mr. C became a bit annoyed. (He was annoyed at me over a David Oistrakh dvd earlier) He repeated, "She has no recitals, I can't make a place for her!!" There is a method to this"

I was thinking "method to what? filing madness??" I smiled and said, " Look, you have Vanessa Mae, Gideon Kramer, Joshua Bell, Midori, Neveu, Vengerov, Kogan, Shaham, Sarah Chang, Perlman, Kennedy, Repin, Rabin, Oliveria, Rosand ........., and no Hilary Hahn?"

Mr. C was more irrtated by now, " She has no recitals, and Beethoven is more important than Hilary Hahn!!!"

Then it struck me like a ton of bricks, Mr. C meant Hilary Hahn has never recorded a cd with short pieces from mutliple composers. She has not recorded enough of the big pieces for a 5 cd box set yet. Take for example her Beethoven and Bernstein cd, there are only 2 composers in that cd , and Mr. C felt that he had to file that cd under Beethoven. <span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Beethoven is more important than Hilary Hahn LOL</span>

BTW, if you are interested in her, log onto www.wbjc.com 11 pm ET tonight. Her performance of the Bach double concerto for 2 violins with the Milwaukee S.O. will be broadcast. :)

M

mathman444

Re: So that is how they file things at tower records

Thank you! I noticed the exact same thing at Border's books store, Barnes and Noble, and a couple of other places where I buy CDs. I asked the music manager at one of the Border's branches, but he was unable to give a satisfactory answer. This answer makes perfect sense.

So, should we write to Hilary and ask her to record a bunch of Paganini and Kreisler miniatures?

Mathman