So Who's an Underdog and Who's a Favorite at Nationals? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

So Who's an Underdog and Who's a Favorite at Nationals?

MKFSfan said:
I get careful in my posts about Sasha at times because I don't want to bash her when making my point. As for media/fan bashing-I may have written too quickly without a lot of thought. Yes, Sasha does get A LOT of hype from the press, reprters and commentators alike, but when she doesn't deliver, she is torn down quickly by all who built her up to be the greatest thing ever and the fans. The whole attitude surrounding Sasha seems to be,"This is Sasha's to win! All she has to do is stand up! The most talented...blah blah...And she's been flawless in practice!...However, her nerves are known to get her." Then when she doesn't live up to the hype, we hear,"Sasha did it to herself once again...blah blah."like she did it on purpose, she's disappointed all of us and it's a shock her nerves got the best of her.
I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm suggesting that you feel the need to protect Sasha and at the same time, suggesting that it's ok to protect Sasha. It was your user name that confused me.

Even in the above, you have these words what people are saying about Sasha and that it didn't happen. We all felt Sasha had the best chance to win Oly gold this past season and her first World Championship. She's a very talented lady. Why do you think those favorable words were tearing Sasha down? She was the favorite.

Joe

Tonichelle said:
I think where we're having a problem with the media and it's bias is defining what medium of the media we're talking about... the US national news media is quite unkind to Sasha. When they're not reminding the public that Sasha's never been a "real winner" (without Michelle at Nationals her gold doesn't count, it seems) and she's not ever taken seriously in the news. They just mention her and then go on about the other ladies (I'm talking pre-competition)
Can you name those media accounts for my reading? Michelle did NOT SKATE at all last season. Why bring her name into it? Irina was Sasha's rivalry for the Oly gold. I can not see the USA press pushing Irina over Sasha. duh. Your making this sound like a sad tale.:cry:

Joe

Spun Silver said:
Your answer and Tonichelle's to Joe re media bashing of SC are right on. Also remember the post-Olympic coverage - big fall pic on many front pages - and the post-Worlds line in the media - Cohen fails again - as well as a much-googled article on why Cohen must be hated.
They did the same to Sarah Hughes after winning the Olys and falling twice in the next Worlds. The press is the press. Anything for a story and it has nothing to do with the personalities involved.

Unfortunately, there are extreme fanatics in the fan world and they resort to all sorts of tactics to put down whom they see as a skater to hate. Michelle Kwan went through that for years but her plus fandom kept it on even keel.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah Hughes ducked 2002 Worlds, 2002 Campbell's and her two GP events, then skated far below her Olympic performance at Crest, Hallmark and US Nationals. If the media was disappointed with Sarah's Worlds 2003 performances (she tied for 11th in the QR, was 8th in the SP and 6th in the FS), just think how disappointed her fans were.

chuckm said:
Sarah Hughes ducked 2002 Worlds, 2002 Campbell's and her two GP events, then skated far below her Olympic performance at Crest, Hallmark and US Nationals. If the media was disappointed with Sarah's Worlds 2003 performances (she tied for 11th in the QR, was 8th in the SP and 6th in the FS), just think how disappointed her fans were.
And the NY media played that mess up. Sasha doesn't have a hold on bad press, if there is any?

If some of you could read the sports pages, you would see the media blast any athlete who does not do well. But then figure skating is a girlie sport as they say.

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
MK went and won her events in 2003. But her performances started deteriorating after that (for whatever reason...staving off injury, perhaps?). Forget about medals and titles here for a sec. She only seemed to "rebound" in the last minute of her 2004 FS. That's my take on it

Of course if you are hyped but do badly (or mess up somehow), you will get negative press. That's just how it works here. No one is immune from this. Often times the greats will get even more negative press than "regulars" just because their name is out there more. If you want to be a champion you've got to toughen it out and not let bad press get to you.

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Of course if you are hyped but do badly (or mess up somehow), you will get negative press. That's just how it works here. No one is immune from this. Often times the greats will get even more negative press than "regulars" just because their name is out there more. If you want to be a champion you've got to toughen it out and not let bad press get to you.

I think this is what we are all getting at, not so much insisting poor Sasha gets more flack from the media then other skaters, or other athletes for that matter. Not that it's the same thing, but in baseball, A-Rod is hailed as one of the game's best players, and in the next breath is criticized for his lack of production in the off-season, and lack of production in close and late games.

Joesitz said:
It was your user name that confused me.

Not sure how my user name confuses you-it's not as though I picked "IhateSC" or something! The name I chose, "MKFSfan", is supposed to imply I'm a Michelle fan 1st and a figure skating fan 2nd, so that's where Sasha fits in and which is why I'm not a SCfan or a MKSCfan.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle won every event she entered in the 2002-2003 season, including Campbell's, Skate America (replacing Hughes), Winter Cheesefest, US Nationals, Worlds and Spring Cheesefest.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think this is what we are all getting at, not so much insisting poor Sasha gets more flack from the media then other skaters, or other athletes for that matter.

I wouldn't call her "poor". It comes with the territory. You want attention, well you have to be prepared to get scrutiny as well. You can't have it both ways.

Come on, guys. Can you at least give MKFSfan the courtesy of reading her/his posts before responding to them?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I wouldn't call her "poor". It comes with the territory. You want attention, well you have to be prepared to get scrutiny as well. You can't have it both ways.

"Poor" was meant in a sarcastic manner.

Thank you, MM, I'm starting to feel all I do is defend my posts!!! :)

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Sorry. It didn't come across (at least to me) in the post.

OK...so you think I meant "poor, little, victimized Sasha while I was elabroating/agreeing with what you wrote?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not quite like that, but poor as in unfortunate. But I think we should move on.

Dog, it's the "not" in MKFSfan's post that clarifies the intent of the "poor."

In a way, this thread is quite a hoot. Every other post is MKFSfan saying to the previous poster, "I agree with you." Followed by that poster answering, "Why are you disagreeing with me?"

MM :frown2:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

In a way, this thread is quite a hoot. Every other post is MKFSfan saying to the previous poster, "I agree with you." Followed by that poster answering, "Why are you disagreeing with me?"

Have to say that was on my mind.?

Mathman said:

The thread is a hoot but I don't see much agreements anywhere.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
MM-yeah, that's how I feel! LOL...

I'll set the record straight:

Michelle Kwan owns my heart as far as skating goes. I first noticed her in the midst of the Wack scandle ( I LOVED Tonya then) and became a huge FAN in 1998, thanks to Nationals (the whole what will Kwan be able to do? and Lyra....wow!) and then the whole Olympics, in defeat and all.

I think Sasha is a great skater. It's a pity she hasn't had that one competition where she can truly own up to her potential. I don't care for her off-ice persona (meaning, unlike Michelle, I don't TiVo her TV appearances, like her interviews, care if she's going to make it as an actress, etc), but I do enjoy watching her skate.