So Who's an Underdog and Who's a Favorite at Nationals? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

So Who's an Underdog and Who's a Favorite at Nationals?

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I thought this thread was buried...

Sorry, I was away for the weekend visiting my sick grandma. I was just catching up! I promise this is the last time I visit this thread!

You can stay as long as you want, MKFSfan. It's not about the Nationals in several countries anymore but it now takes on a kind of singular mode.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Can you name those media accounts for my reading? Michelle did NOT SKATE at all last season. Why bring her name into it? Irina was Sasha's rivalry for the Oly gold. I can not see the USA press pushing Irina over Sasha. duh. Your making this sound like a sad tale.:cry:

Joe

MSNBC.com archives... NBC's Today Show... not all news media comes from the net though... and most of what I digested around the time of nationals and the olympics was on TV...

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm suggesting that you feel the need to protect Sasha and at the same time, suggesting that it's ok to protect Sasha. It was your user name that confused me.

I don't get it Joe are you trying to say that because someone is a fan of Michelle's skating (and choose a username connected with that fandom) that they can't be a fan of Sasha's or invoke arguments "protecting" Sasha??? :scratch:

Ant

MKFSfan

Medalist
Especially considering this fan, using the same name, was banned from Sasha's forum for being too much of a Michelle fan! ;)

Tonichelle said:
MSNBC.com archives... NBC's Today Show... not all news media comes from the net though... and most of what I digested around the time of nationals and the olympics was on TV...
And this is the foundation of the remark? hmmm. that sort of thing goes in one year and out the other for me. Such sensitivity!! my!

Joe

antmanb said:
I don't get it Joe are you trying to say that because someone is a fan of Michelle's skating (and choose a username connected with that fandom) that they can't be a fan of Sasha's or invoke arguments "protecting" Sasha??? :scratch: Ant
Of course not. I am 100 per cent fan of Sasha and with many Kwan fans in Calgary we were yelling our heads off for her - moreso than Kimmie, in fact.

It was the use of words of such sadness that was written about Sasha's plight in this world that cracked me up.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Of course not. I am 100 per cent fan of Sasha and with many Kwan fans in Calgary we were yelling our heads off for her - moreso than Kimmie, in fact.

It was the use of words of such sadness that was written about Sasha's plight in this world that cracked me up.

Joe

And those words of "such sadness" were intent to be dripping in sarcasm but somehow that feeling didn't make it across cyberspace!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
US Ladies

I don't think if Sasha skates, that Kimmie will be the favorite. Kimmie will be the underdog.. If Sasha does not skate, then I think the odds on winning will be evenly distributed between Kimmie, Katie, Emily, Alissa and Bebe because all of them will havve 3x3s this season. Only 3A will win. Placements are special because those three will head for Tokyo.
I guess it depends on pre nation competetions (GPs), which Kimmie most likely be there. If Kimmie has some majore make over in presentation dpt (and it's about time), she will be the favorate.

Joesitz said:
Japanese Ladies

It seems to me that Mao will be running free and clear of the competition and be the favorite. However, underdog Fumie may just rock the boat. Miki and Nakano are just not up to it. Placements, of course, will be interesting, and whomever the top 3 are will be right in their own backyard.
Mao most likely be the favorate at Japanese Nationals. And compete against Kim and Kimmie internationally. Kimmie will have much more stronger competetion in coming worlds than the last one.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Kimmie does her best, however, she will always be a contender no matter how tough her competition is.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And this is the foundation of the remark? hmmm. that sort of thing goes in one year and out the other for me. Such sensitivity!! my!

Joe

not sure why I got a cheeky reply... I was merely answering your question as to where I was getting the impression that the US media was being less than fair to Sasha Cohen.... I'm not saying they do it just to her, or to Johnny... just the flavor of said year's winter games...

The Today Show/MSNBC is a very well respected medium of news. I appreciate them far more than CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, or any other of the major news networks... they are pretty good at getting accurate...

I'm not sure why I even bothered... I had already said that Katie Couric - a well respected Journalist in the US - was the source of my rant pages ago... you merely asked for a source, and I gave it... if you want I can burn you a DVD of the said interviews and send it your way. ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
not sure why I got a cheeky reply...... if you want I can burn you a DVD of the said interviews and send it your way. ;)

Sometime s I get afraid to read the replies form Joesitz, He scares me. But his opinions are good and always worth the read.

For sure Katie Couric dissed Sasha in her Olympic interviews. Couric made it quite clear that, for her, Michelle Kwan was the story of the games. Sasha looked like she wanted to say, "Hello, I'm the one who will be skating tomorrow, trying to win a gold medal for the United States."

MKFSfan

Medalist
Mathman said:
For sure Katie Couric dissed Sasha in her Olympic interviews. Couric made it quite clear that, for her, Michelle Kwan was the story of the games. Sasha looked like she wanted to say, "Hello, I'm the one who will be skating tomorrow, trying to win a gold medal for the United States."

It seemed to me Katie was trying to get Sasha's take on Michelle, either get a sympathetic repsonse or something, even asked what she would say to Michelle if she saw her. Sasha said something like,"It happens." and then said something along the lines,"I don't think about Michelle. It's MY time now." which made Katie back off about MK and pretty much ended the interview shortly thereafter.

At the time I thought it was rude of Sasah, like all she had to do was say,"I'd tell her to feel better! It's really disappointing to not realize your dream." and then she'd look like a sweetie. Now I also see that Katie was rude in pressing the issue, putting Sasha on the spot about a competitor. However, everyone else interviewed, from Evan to Irina to Kimmie to Fumie had touching comments so Sasha's stuck out like a spoiled brat comment.

I don't think Couric was dissing Sasha. Many of the NBC listeners were concerned about MK, and Katie, rightly or wrongly brought the matter up to her top US competitor. Nothing wrong with Sasha's indifference to the question. Sasha had a perfect right to avoid an answer, and good for her.

The sensitivity of some posters when it touches on favorites can be overwhelming.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
That was a pretty bad interview, I remember. I would have probably asked about MK too but she kept on asking about her instead of moving on to some other questions.

ladybug

On the Ice
Remember when Princess Di was killed in the auto accident....Every time Fergie was interviewed after that, she was bombarded with questions about Diana.

After Michelle won her National title, Christine Brennan questioned Michelle on Angela's Mother. Right or wrong, that is what you have to expect from the media.

Michelle was the big news at the Olympics. That is why she left Turin so quickly. She didn't want to upstage any of the skaters and even turned down an NBC Olympic commentary job.

If Sasha had given one sympathetic answer, Katie probably would have dropped it after that and Sasha could have won some brownie points with the MK fans. Sasha didn't have to be honest, maybe just kind.

Ladybug