Spoilers... Mens Sp | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Spoilers... Mens Sp

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Tim in Tenth...

I suspect the airing was due to two things.

1) The pre-recorded "hype" about the Weiss / Goebel match up and

2) Tim is a top contender even though he had a very bad skate - if they HADN'T aired his performance, all of us including me would have been in an uproar without it.

Side note...poor Zamboni got NO air time last night. Guess Zamboni's aren't as critical with that many men's fannies covering the ice....

Just my thoughts...but of course I'm no broadcast expert!

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am so in love with Bradley's skating. He "oozes" charm and is my kind of skater. I think Matt needs to be "packaged" differently. Different hair cut, length, and definitely different clothes. He needs some "oomph" to counter act his sedate skating style..........he has possibilities.

As much as I like Weir, I don't think he'll be at the top of the podium. Weiss is a "crunch" skater and as he said in his interview, he's been first, fourth, oldest, youngest..........he knows pressure and he looks focused! Well, may the skater with the least "splats" win.

I know quads and triple-triples are the norm these days, but it sure takes away from the performance..........give me a double jump and a clean skate anyday..........(I enjoy edges and footwork better than "leaps in the air" anyway.) 42

Last edited:

Matt

On the Ice
Weir: It's about time this guy skated well at Nats. Great skate; you can't ignore the fact that he was probably the cleanest of the bunch. I love his spins:love: He looked a little slow, and had a weird air position (it looked tilted to me), but I think he can do it. It's only a mtter of Weiss and nerves.

Weiss: FIX THE ENTRANCE TO YOUR BLOODY 3AXEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....other than that, great skate; good spins

Savoie: Good to see him skating clean again. He a real solid skater and you can really appreciate that. Nice, innovative positions on the spins. He looked a little slow in the SP, but he'll definitely stand on the podium

Bradley: Dear God, than man hit the rafters in his 3axel! It was almost shades of Ilia Kulik for a minute. GREAT CHOREOGRAPHY; one of few skaters who actually take the time to develop some semblance of character in his program. Even with the wonky 3lutz, I though he should have been higher

Goebel: :cry: (As I'm writing this, Goebel has already withdrawn from Nats. I'm sorry to see him go. I knew he had boot problems all year, but it's sad to see it turn out like this. Have faith, Tim)

Ward: Too much hype, didn't deliver. I hope he skates well (cleaner than the SP), but I wasn't all that impressed (though how one can skate with dreadlocks and not get hurt deserves an award)

Lysacek: I've been pointing to this guy all along. Wonderful energy to his SP, though he was guilty of flailing. Don't think he can win, but he's in a position to possibly do damage.

As my #1 for Nats was Goebel, I shall take this time to repredict the mens final:
1. Weir
2. Weiss
3. Savoie

April

Rinkside
Golden Boys

Johnny Weir should win the gold medal. Weir's style and technique is just what the mens field needs. He has a quad, musicality, and flair. He is a real contender for a world medal, especially with the multiple injuries and aging warhorse-skaters delaying surgery or just skating around unchallenged for the last year, Plushy, Weiss, Abt, Honda, etc. I am so glad to see so many new and wonderful skaters moving up in the ranks.

Matt Savoie is great, but quadless. The new system will be very good to him. I would love for him to win the gold medal Saturday too.

The LP is the the LP. Anything could happen, and it probably will with all the withdrawing drama's. Hopefully, the men want repeat last year's nationals fiasco.

Prediction
1. Weir
2. Lysack
3. Savoie

kappa_1

On the Ice
Well all I have to say is that it's really toooo bad about Timothy. On the positive side though, even without the jumps I still wasn't board with his performance.

I too get the feeling that the 4th place means really nothing and that Weiss might somehow appear on the top of the podium come tomorrow.

Of course I would love , given the events that transpiired last year, that Weir or Savoie would win!

While he had great energy, Lysacek's EXCESSIVE, superfluous arm sflailing REALLY got to me by the end of his programme.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
new predictions

1. Savoie (yes, some of you are using him as a fridge break, but he's consistent...almost Hughes-esque)
2. Weiss (someone with experience)
3. Weir

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm going with:
1. Weiss
2. Weir
3. Bradley (How's that for a leap of faith?) 42

roobies

Spectator
I have to disagree about Ryan Bradley. Although he was "charming" there wasn't much too his skating EXCEPT for that massive 3axel. I suspect the other Ryan, Jahnke, had a better overall skate (although I know he stepped out of his solo triple). Too bad ABC didn't let us compare. Anyway, I have seen them both skate together on the same practice sessions and Ryan Jahnke is by FAR a superior skater in virtually every way. Ryan Bradley can hit a bigger jump...sometimes. But he is also "out of control" a lot of the time, with the wildest splats and pops you ever saw. Plus his "choreography" seemed to be mostly hamming it up, not skating and edges and all that nice stuff we see always from Jahnke. But...Bradley did charm the audience, I will grant you that. But on the podium? No way!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Bradley kind of reminds me of Christopher Bowman, only, if possible, a little more out of control out there. He's a bit of a nut. But there's nothing wrong with that. I think we could use a nut long about now, to keep things lively.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi roobies, thanks for your post and welcome to GS. I think that's what I like about Bradley, his "devil may care" attitude, doesn't take himself too seriously. (Maybe that's why he hasn't climbed too far up the ladder yet.) I picked him for third as a wild card spot, just to spice it up a bit.

Jonny.........I think you might have something there.....another Chris Bowman (the showman). Wouldn't that be refreshing....42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Show42, do you happen to subscribe to SKATING magazine? They have a picture from the Sectionals with Ryan Bradley (along with Braden Overett and Daniel Lee) and it's supposed to be the standard stand-there-and-smile-with-your-medals-on picture, only these three are SITTING on the podium in their warmups pointing at the camera with these wacked-out expressions on their faces; they look like 3 frat boys playing quarters in the frat house! I'm pretty sure Ryan B had a lot to do with that!:) I am sure he provides quite a coaching experience!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I feel so bad for Tim...

This is the first I heard he withdrew. He seems like such a nice, down to earth young man and a hard worker. I've always enjoyed watching him on the ice, and also his interviews off the ice. How sad for him. I hope he's back in action next year.

DG

Pati

On the Ice
I really liked Bradley also and I'm looking forward to watching him develope. How long has he been a senior skater?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Darn, Jonny, the only mag I currently receive is IFS........would love to see that picture...........

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Pati, Ryan B. has been in Seniors since at least 2000, which is the 1st time I saw him (my critique at the time, according to the notes, was his long program was rather a "fascinating display of unfocused hyperactivity from Gosh Golly Gee I'm Just So Happy To Be Here to excessive cockiness; few 16 year olds would have the guts to preen for the judges like he did." Looking at another source, that was his first year as a Senior; he won Juniors in 99.

Show42, I have tried to find an internet link to that pic I was talking about, but no luck. :(

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've been looking for the post that gives info on when he was interviewed on tv but haven't found it. Something about his muscles and bones all got moved around or something from all the boots he's been trying. Doesn't look good and sure hope he can get it fixed. Maybe someone else can remember.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grgranny said:
I've been looking for the post that gives info on when he was interviewed on tv but haven't found it. Something about his muscles and bones all got moved around or something from all the boots he's been trying. Doesn't look good and sure hope he can get it fixed. Maybe someone else can remember.
Thanks Granny, I didn't hear that. Now, that makes sense why he withdrew. At first I thought it was because he skated so poorly but waited or asked to see what happened. I thought Tim would be more ethical than to withdraw because of a poor skate.

Dee

PS Granny, I love your signature line.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
"love your signature line", thanks. I have been thinking it's time to change it but haven't had time to think. That is the few times it works. (the think that is) :laugh: