Sports broadcasters: Sale/Pelletier & Browning | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sports broadcasters: Sale/Pelletier & Browning

ildah

Rinkside
I think it is an honest concern to wonder why an American network, NBC, wouldn't be able to find American commentators. I don't think that's an unreasonable comment for someone from the USA to make. For example, there are lots of American ladies who could be trained to commentate. Michelle Kwan has been mentioned. I know she's a bit "stiff" but that could be eliminated over time. There is also Nancy Kerrigan and Peggy Fleming etc. I know there would always be someone with lots of bad things to say about any of these ladies: it seems to be open season on the Internet to criticize.

As far as Sale/Pelletier, I can't really think of a "pair" that would have the recognition that they do on NBC, but I can certainly see the desire by some people to see another couple of Americans, ie especially a singles lady, perhaps another singles male, be hired by NBC.

I'm afraid I can't argue with Hamilton/Bezic/Wilson/Button either. The guys at NBC are not idiots, and obviously the opinions of a few people on FS boards do not represent or translate into ratings problems for NBC. Figure skating in North America is very incestuous - Kristi Y. trained at Royal Glenora in Edmonton, Jeff Buttle of Canada trains in LA, if I'm not mistaken - and Lori Nichol choreographed for either Johnny or Evan. In the world of figure skating there are certain North American names that are known to the "insiders".

Long before the Olympic fiasco at SLC, Sandra Bezic commentated for NBC. She's just a very well known, respected person IN THE FIGURE SKATING WORLD, and in that respect NBC I think knows a little more than we do. And I can't imagine eliminating Scott Hamilton. I don't care if he's a bit over the top - that's what I like! Same with Tracy Wilson- lovely manner, lovely voice, very informed - but that won't mean that another dance expert won't come along in a few years to take her place who will be an American (maybe Tanith: yes, I know she's Canadian born)

I found that I like Sale/Pelletier better on CBC when they were commenting on the Canadian Nats. It was all business, very professional and of course they commented while the pairs were skating so that has to be very planned and scriped. I also loved them on Olympic Ice when they could just let themselves be crazy like the rest of the cast. But on NBC, I found that the commentators had to be very politically correct and to the point - as you would expect - but that informal "panel type" banter format required that they also be a bit off-the-cuff and loose....and I think that was a hard line to balance. I think I said this all before!

So considering that, bringing in other people such as a women's singles expert (such as Michelle Kwan) would require some coaching. It's not an easy balance to achieve. But I can certainly see why some would question why another well know American skater couldn't be brought on board the NBC ship. I think it's a good idea.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
BTW ....although Lori Nichol is known as a Canadian choreographer, I believe she is American by birth -- took from Don Laws!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Like it or not - Scott Hamilton is still one of the most recognizable MALE skaters in the US... I think with the average Joe his name would be more familiar than even Dick Button's

I agree with the people who say that NBC has the right idea. Whether or not diehards approve, it doesn't really matter, the ratings do. Just like with every other sport.