State of Russian Men's Figure Skating 2015-2016 | Page 18 | Golden Skate

State of Russian Men's Figure Skating 2015-2016

Abstractor

Rinkside
Kolyada has the power and drive but additional quads won't be enough for him to be on the very top. They should try a different road and make him look different then the current russian men and that means NO russian choreography and traditional technostyle which means - just better send Mika to Orser, it would make way for a breakthru.

moriel

Record Breaker
Kolyada has the power and drive but additional quads won't be enough for him to be on the very top. They should try a different road and make him look different then the current russian men and that means NO russian choreography and traditional technostyle which means - just better send Mika to Orser, it would make way for a breakthru.

Also, honestly, as long as he stays close to top current men, he will be ok because he will get worlds and europeans spots.
As for Orser, i disagree. There are more than enough Orser boys already, and its not always a win.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Choreography, performance and execution can be improved. Ilia Averbukh has actually offered Mikhail help with that part, although I have no idea if it'll come to anything.

Stephane Lambiel said the he would be happy to work with Kolyada praising his artistry and how finished his movements were already.
I am not sure Averbuch's choreo would be a good fit for Mika. Lambiel's might be a better choice.
I am very curious what ideas Mika and his own choreographer Olga Klyushnichenko will come up with in the new season. I absolutely love his SP I think it's one of the best programs of this season, unique, original, Mika was totally in his element, music cuts were clever, if anything I think this program was underrated.
About the LP some might not know that this program was created over 2 years ago before he got injured. At the beginning of this season the team had no idea how the season will go so the program was kept but it is clearly not to his full potential.
I appreciate originality of ideas the new less known choreographers come up with. I do not want Mika to conform with what the judges would like or the public. I have a feeling that Mika is a creative person and has a lot of say in a choice of his programs. So can't wait for the new season.
And please do not send him to Orser he is fine where he is. We need different skaters not the ones from the conveyor belt...

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Stephane Lambiel said the he would be happy to work with Kolyada praising his artistry and how finished his movements were already.
I am not sure Averbuch's choreo would be a good fit for Mika. Lambiel's might be a better choice.
I am very curious what ideas Mika and his own choreographer Olga Klyushnichenko will come up with in the new season. I absolutely love his SP I think it's one of the best programs of this season, unique, original, Mika was totally in his element, music cuts were clever, if anything I think this program was underrated.
About the LP some might not know that this program was created over 2 years ago before he got injured. At the beginning of this season the team had no idea how the season will go so the program was kept but it is clearly not to his full potential.
I appreciate originality of ideas the new less known choreographers come up with. I do not want Mika to conform with what the judges would like or the public. I have a feeling that Mika is a creative person and has a lot of say in a choice of his programs. So can't wait for the new season.
And please do not send him to Orser he is fine where he is. We need different skaters not the ones from the conveyor belt...

I think that Mika's programs are reasonably well accepted by judges and fans (there is no big booo this is awful). They are also pretty original and seem to fit him well.
Now, there is a thing - he is not going to beat Hanyu and Fernandez by his own merit any soon. So imho a smart strategy is to work on an original image, his own style that would make him different, instead of trying to copycat the top guys. This way he can guarantee him a nice fanbase (and then shows and such, as people already want to see more of him, even if he isnt #1), and some solid top finishes, maybe even podiums.
Considering the state of current russian men, that will be more than enough to stay on top and develop at his own pace, without having to add 2-3 quads over one season etc etc etc.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Now, there is a thing - he is not going to beat Hanyu and Fernandez by his own merit any soon. So imho a smart strategy is to work on an original image, his own style that would make him different, instead of trying to copycat the top guys. This way he can guarantee him a nice fanbase (and then shows and such, as people already want to see more of him, even if he isnt #1), and some solid top finishes, maybe even podiums.

I think his main competitors next season will be Shoma & Boyang, as Yazuru, Javi & Patrick (?) are in the league of their own. With a few improvements on PCS side and addition of another quad to beat or to be at least on par with them is a very realistic goal.

Re: Kovtun - I think as long as he is with CSKA and trying for 5 quads he will remain on the scene no matter what his competitive results will be. Just IMHO

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

He already has his own style and a coach he loves. And he doesn't need Orser. For what?? Is Orser supposed to coach every single skater with potential in the world? He's got his hands full already.

Stephane Lambiel also said he wants to work with Adian - I hope he takes him up on that offer.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that Mika is a creative person and has a lot of say in a choice of his programs.
Yes, he said in interviews that he actively participates in the entire process. He also gives credit to Chebotareva for his jump technique, which barely anyone else seems to do.
"My coach Valentina Mikhailovna (Chebotareva) has taught me since childhood and has always tried to achieve the same correct technical execution of the jumps,” said the Russian silver medalist who enjoys jumping best. “As for the height of my jumps, this is probably just by nature."
http://www.goldenskate.com/2016/01/mikhail-kolyada/
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/02/01/163359272/kolyada-shows-different-side-of-russian-skating

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Re: Kovtun - I think as long as he is with CSKA and trying for 5 quads he will remain on the scene no matter what his competitive results will be. Just IMHO
I think that as long as Kolyada has the training resources he needs, Kovtun can go right ahead and remain the Federation's darling. Less pressure on Mikhail.

Abstractor

Rinkside
For what?? ....

For the good. He's skating is not on par with the leaders - he needs to improve in many areas to stay in the pack. Why stick to the 'one coach for life' dogma ?
To move on and develope further the time has come to rise to a different level from a regional russian style one he's currently up to. Ortherwise he risks to drift the path of old-fashioned russian men like Menshov or Voronov who while being very talented lost their chance in their yearly 20s failing to get a breakthru.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Adian and Stephane work together. Adian is by far my favorite Russian dude on knifeboots. He's not the best at any one thing but he is really good at everything. Well...he might be the best spinner they have...maybe :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
For the good. He's skating is not on par with the leaders - he needs to improve in many areas to stay in the pack. Why stick to the 'one coach for life' dogma ?
To move on and develope further the time has come to rise to a different level from a regional russian style one he's currently up to. Ortherwise he risks to drift the path of old-fashioned russian men like Menshov or Voronov who while being very talented lost their chance in their yearly 20s failing to get a breakthru.

Everyone needs to improve, but running to Brian Orser isn't the answer in all cases. Kolyada lost ground not because of his coach, but because he was out for ages with an injury. He wasn't going to get the highest PCS this season when he is virtually unknown to judges. He has to complicate his programs gradually, but this can certainly be done without the help of Brian Orser. Plushenko has offered to help him if he needs it, Lambiel...not exactly poor help to have.

And by the way, Voronov did break through in his late 20s, unless you don't think being the #4 man in the world, with 2 Euro medals & a GPF medal, is worth anything. He made several improvements with Eteri in his late 20s & he may still improve with Goncharenko, we'll see. The only thing "old fashioned" I see about him, maybe, is the lack of transitions, but plenty of younger skaters lack them as well (Boyang, hello?).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I hope Adian and Stephane work together. Adian is by far my favorite Russian dude on knifeboots. He's not the best at any one thing but he is really good at everything. Well...he might be the best spinner they have...maybe :)

Sorry...that would be Petr Gumennik :)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
His positions are craaazy but unfortunately he tends to lose levels :laugh: Mika is pretty good spinner too!
Mikhail is surprisingly flexible for someone without a reed-like constitution of, say, Hanyu. TAT couldn't stop raving about it every time she saw him skate :biggrin: And flexibility really does make men look better on ice. Not just spins but the ability to turn your legs all kinds of ways (basic ballet training, essentially). Although of course a reed-like built is not a guarantee of flexibility in and of itself, you still have to work on it. Plenty of narrow-boned skaters cannot do anything close to a biellmann. And, of course, in ballet men have to be flexible independent of their constitution and jump ability, they don't get free passes on that.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Everyone needs to improve, but running to Brian Orser isn't the answer in all cases. Kolyada lost ground not because of his coach, but because he was out for ages with an injury. He wasn't going to get the highest PCS this season when he is virtually unknown to judges. He has to complicate his programs gradually, but this can certainly be done without the help of Brian Orser. Plushenko has offered to help him if he needs it, Lambiel...not exactly poor help to have.

And by the way, Voronov did break through in his late 20s, unless you don't think being the #4 man in the world, with 2 Euro medals & a GPF medal, is worth anything. He made several improvements with Eteri in his late 20s & he may still improve with Goncharenko, we'll see. The only thing "old fashioned" I see about him, maybe, is the lack of transitions, but plenty of younger skaters lack them as well (Boyang, hello?).

yeah orser has had amazing results but he was sort of feast or famine or hit or miss - not sure it is his fault or doing but for every Hanyu and Fernandez there was another Javier and Nam and Sonia who didn't even qualify for the freeskate. I really hope we see Mikal become his own person:)

Tutto

Record Breaker
Interview with Kovtun's coach, Elena Vodorezova:
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/reviews/988698/

Summary:
The next season will be decisive for both of us including the future of our partnership
Maxim is very talented but disorganised
The help of sport psychologist was sought at the beginning of the last season but Maxim didn't commit to attending the sessions
No plan to upp the tech further. If Maxim does all he is able to do, his current content is competitive at least till Olympics 2018

A few words also about Adian:
'To work with Adian is very interesting. Adian is light, quick, physically gifted, and despite his shyness, there is a turmoil of ''madness'' inside him. He is capable to become a very interesting skater. Though we haven't started to work yet in full.'

It sounds to me like Maxim's coach is giving up on him. I don't think she ever spoke so openly about his problems before. Maybe it is a wake up call he needs?

Tutto

Record Breaker
We probably should start a thread for the new season but before we move on maybe we could reflect on the season past.

The state of Russian men is still not too optimistic with Mikhail Kolyada's 4th finish at his debut Worlds probably the brightest event of the season.
The Russian Champion, Maxim Kovtun lost the opportunity to redeem himself in Spokane after disastrous 18th place finish in Boston due to ear infection. Kolyada stepped in at the last moment and helped Team Europe to get silver on Day 2 with a decent free skate. In the short All three Euro men bombed, Kolyada somehow managed in that company with his score of 70 to be the best amongst them. No comment.
Sergei Voronov who had plenty of time to prepare himself for the event didn't do well- was it due to lingering injury or recent coaching change? But his future does look a bit shaky. Will the federation continue to support him next season?
The next season could bring some changes for Maxim too or at least what his coach is saying

As a fan of Kolyada I naturally hope to see him cementing the position of No1 Russian skater. It would be of course interesting to see how the coaching change will work out for Adian
But who else do you think could step up a level next season? .

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, I am not optimistic that Inna Goncharenko will be a good coach for Sergei, at all...but he was visibly fatigued and I suppose jet lag could have been a factor. Still, they should have been better prepared. I will wait and see what happens; I certainly don't think he can be written off just because of whatever issues he was going through this season. He did have some good performances last season, just never really managed to put two together. Adian and Dmitri Aliev are by far the most promising of the younger skaters in my opinion (not counting the 13/14-year-old juniors); they just need to become more stable, of course. I like Mikhail, but I cannot stand the idea that the Russian fed should put all their eggs in one basket and just promote one "star" at the expense of the other talented men. It makes my blood boil, in fact. Not a good strategy, especially since injuries can happen to anyone at any time and none of them are the model of consistency.

edit - forgot to mention Anton Shulepov, who tried a 4lz at a recent competition & is a fairly well rounded skater, imo...could be a dark horse

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I like most of them in their own right. I think Max Kovtun might have to sort himself out over the next few months, as I don't think his problems are merely skating related. At least I hope he does and he has support, he's only 20 years old after all. Sergei needs a bit of a kick, he can still do it, but can Goncharenko deliver what Eteri couldn't?
I'm definitely looking forward to the development of Mikhail (absolutely loved his SP), but also Adian and Dima. The youngsters are still maturing in their personalities, which will help them to interpret their music and match expression to athletic abilities. Adian's gala programme already highlighted his acting ability (same as Mikhail) and entertainment value. Bring on the Russian boys, good luck to them. :cool2: