Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 293 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

orangella96

Final Flight
On a personal note, as disappointed as I am, I'm surprised by how calmly I'm responding to this. I'm dealing with disappointment in my personal life at the moment (disheartening job search), and I think I'd subconsciously pinned my hopes on V/T, like "if they can do it, maybe I can." Now it's like "if they can fail and deal with the disappointment, so can I." So thanks, V/T. :)

You can do it, like they did multiple times before. Don't give up:cheer:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Knowing how tough they are Maxim and Ksenia i'm sure both couples will comeback stronger than ever for the next GP season and 2017 WC.

Maggie

Rinkside
I have been a big fan of V and T since Sochi. Last year I went to Switzerland to see them in AOI. I am not prepared to write them off. There was something not right from the beginning in Boston. Tatiana was not her usual Sunny self. Her spark was not there. There could be many reasons : illness with her or someone in her family, maybe she didn't feel prepared, maybe the don't have the competitive fire anymore. But I do believe that if they really want to continue until 2018 they can do it. They will work out what they want and prepare the road map to get them there. But now they need our support.

Sfey

On the Ice
Maxim tweeted "sorry." :(:(:sad21:

Poor things, I can't imagine how they must be feeling right now. At least they have each other for support.

Sfey

On the Ice
https://instagram.com/p/BDuIKPFD_qN/

Cute pic on Tanya's Instagram with a message thanking fans for their support. Very sweet of her.

I'm still sad for V/T and the other Russian pairs, but I'm glad the Russian ladies delivered. Hopefully that will take a little media pressure off the pairs.

monwara

Rinkside
https://instagram.com/p/BDuIKPFD_qN/

Cute pic on Tanya's Instagram with a message thanking fans for their support. Very sweet of her.

I'm still sad for V/T and the other Russian pairs, but I'm glad the Russian ladies delivered. Hopefully that will take a little media pressure off the pairs.

I hate when imagine that how much suffering is there, with press, interviewer or federation. I hope they can overcome this things.
All they need is rest, real honeymoon, sand and sun as they always dream for. All good things are waiting.

Tatiana and Maxim, Have a safe trip home, your family especially Dexter and Guinness are waiting.

borzaya

Final Flight
I'm devastated about what have happened... :(

I was, in fact, too nervous to watch them live. I minimized the window with livestream and turned off the sound (I do so very often when my favourite skaters compete). When after several minutes I turned the sound back on and heard their music finishing and the applause beginning, the dead silence from both TAT and Grishin, who were commenting, said it all to me at once. :cry:

But, well - this is life. Anyone in sports has their bad days or meltdowns, just anyone. To write them off because of one bad start is simply ridiculous. There are numerous examples when athletes looking much more hopeless at a certain period of time climbed back to the top. Hopefully they get over it quickly... and though it's up to them to decide, of course, but I strongly hope that they will decide to stay in competition. (Secretly hoping, in fact, that this may give them a new vigour to fight...) Though the level of competition is tougher nowadays - but Tanya and Max are still capable of doing a lot, too, if they stay, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Naya

On the Ice
Tanya and Max had a bad day and that was all, it happen to everyone. They skated pretty well early in the season and were 3rd after the SP. It's amazing how many people are talking about how they shoud retire, it's a bad habit that skating fans just can't quit.

Sfey

On the Ice
Tanya and Max had a bad day and that was all, it happen to everyone. They skated pretty well early in the season and were 3rd after the SP. It's amazing how many people are talking about how they shoud retire, it's a bad habit that skating fans just can't quit.

I agree completely. If Max and Tanya should retire because of this skate, how many other teams/skaters should retire too? Kavaguti/Smirnov? Mao Asada? Patrick Chan? Denis Ten? Why not Yuzuru Hanyu, since he had a meltdown in the FS too? Weaver/Poje, since they failed to medal? The first video I ever saw of Sui/Han was of their NHK skate in 2013, which was a disaster. People in the comments were declaring their partnership over too, and look how they've bounced back!

When or if V/T decide to retire is up to them. Every team has a disaster skate at least once in their careers I'd imagine, there's a video out there of Savchenko/Szolkowy falling like four times in a free skate. It's highly unfortunate that V/T's meltdown happened at Worlds, but can't be helped.

If they do suddenly have a press conference and announce their retirement, then I'll respect their decision. But one skate shouldn't be the deciding factor imo.

im annoyed to see some people on the forums (not in this thread) talk about them as though they're already retired. At least wait for an announcement before you declare someone's career over!

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I was absolutely DEVASTATED after Yuzu and this just made it worse. Their programs were still beautiful and it was incredible to see them live and in person.

sarang

Spectator
Some poor performance is not why they should retire. If they do decide on that, either way, I will support them. I think they'll just need to rest now.

theyaremagic

Rinkside
This was not their best day, but everybody has the right to have a bad day!Unfortunately it happened at Worlds... They are sad now and I am sad too, but it's not the end of the world.
Come on, it is the first time they didn't medal at Euros or Worlds since they began to skate together!!!
Until now they always won Silver or Gold in those big events!!!!! There are not a lot of pairs who did the same!!!! So they should be so proud of themselves no matter what happened yesterday!!!
Their skate was not the best, there were a lot of smaller or bigger mistakes and they still got 6. place... so imagine what would be possible if they would have skated clean!
And anyway : Tanya and Max you are still the most beautiful skaters for me, no other pair compairs to you. They can do four quads in a row, but they will never reach your beauty! Amen :)

kinoriH

Final Flight
ok look. I really wanted to post on this thread last night, straight after their LP but i felt like most of you were still in shock. People tend to say harsh and honest stuff while experiencing hardships or meltdowns so that's why I don't judge any of you. All that points are valid and all of the opinions are right imo.

But I will say this.
The fact that V/T didn't even podium didn't surprise me as much. Many people talked about their physical condition and stamina, but I think it's not the entire picture. The whole reason as to why they came back (and they've said it themselves) is because they want to keep representing russia as long as they can. With that comes money from competitions and worldwide recongnition as a top athlete.
But that's not enough. Back in 2010 V/T had nothing to prove and the hunger for medals kept them going. when an athlete has the right mindset - he/she can achieve indredible things. Just look at Aliona, at 32 and still going because in her mind she looks at the future and sees only medals, competitions and records. People can argue that this is unhealty, but the results speak for themselves.

Now look, I'm not V/T should retire at all and I do hope they at least get to perform one amazing performance once more, but the real bummer in this whole situation the injury Max suffered after Sochi. In a way it set them back because it gave them the opportunity to experience normal life as a family. It's almost like tasting a forbidden fruit. Once someone does that all the cards are reshuffled and it's very hard to psychologicaly go back to the previous level.

With that I think they should do what makes them happy. seriously. If being happy means coming back next year with new programs and great technical side then they should do just it. If being happy means taking break, and thinking a bit before coming back then it's ok. Even if tomorrow they go to the press and announce retirement- as long as they're happy with their descision, thet's what they should do. I really don't care what haters think or say. They are people first, with emotions and desires and every human being should do what is best for himself.

Now on another note- Who is excited for ICE LEGENDS?? cause I am. :clapper::cheer:

Last edited:

TatiMax

On the Ice
They need to be humble and admit their mistakes and limitations if they want to win world medals again. They are not 25 anymore. Their programs need to be designed for their strength points.

theyaremagic

Rinkside
ok look. I really wanted to post on this thread last night, straight after their LP but i felt like most of you were still in shock. People tend to say harsh and honest stuff while experiencing hardships or meltdowns so that's why I don't judge any of you. All that points are valid and all of the opinions are right imo.

But I will say this.
The fact that V/T didn't even podium didn't surprise me as much. Many people talked about their physical condition and stamina, but I think it's not the entire picture. The whole reason as to why they came back (and they've said it themselves) is because they want to keep representing russia as long as they can. With that comes money from competitions and worldwide recongnition as a top athlete.
But that's not enough. Back in 2010 V/T had nothing to prove and the hunger for medals kept them going. when an athlete has the right mindset - he/she can achieve indredible things. Just look at Aliona, at 32 and still going because in her mind she looks at the future and sees only medals, competitions and records. People can argue that this is unhealty, but the results speak for themselves.

Now look, I'm not V/T should retire at all and I do hope they at least get to perform one amazing performance once more, but the real bummer in this whole situation the injury Max suffered after Sochi. In a way it set them back because it gave them the opportunity to experience normal life as a family. It's almost like tasting a forbidden fruit. Once someone does that all the cards are reshuffled and it's very hard to psychologicaly go back to the previous level.

With that I think they should do what makes them happy. seriously. If being happy means coming back next year with new programs and great technical side then they should do just it. If being happy means taking break, and thinking a bit before coming back then it's ok. Even if tomorrow they go to the press and announce retirement- as long as they're happy with their descision, thet's what they should do. I really don't care what haters think or say. They are people first, with emotions and desires and every human being should do what is best for himself.

Now on another note- Who is excited for ICE LEGENDS?? cause I am. :clapper::cheer:

i think you really rise some good points here. It must be so difficult to find the motivation to compete again after you reached everything... They have to compete because THEY want it and because it makes them happy, and not because the federation wants it or because you can make better money etc. If you are not there on the ice with your whole heart it will be difficult. As a fan I would be sad if they retire now, but I would understand it. But the most important thing is: They have to listen what their hearts say. Whatever makes you happy, do it! They deserve to be happy!!! Whatever will be will be...

Sfey

On the Ice

But I will say this.

While I stand by my comments that V/T shouldn't have to retire because of this skate, I agree that they should do what makes them happy. If figure skating no longer makes them happy, then they can do many other things, and skate in shows. I read in an interview somewhere that V/T are planning to coach some students at their figure skating school over the summer. Maybe that will give them some insight into what they want for the future.

mhelliknee

Rinkside

But I will say this.

I agree with you completely. As long as they're happy and doing what they want, I support them. I hope they don't feel pressured from anyone to go one way or the other.

Nessie

On the Ice
I agree wholeheartedly with Kinori – and I love her statement -- that V+T have tasted the forbidden fruit…..

Like Kinori, I hesitated to post a comment last night. I wanted to ponder a few matters like fallibility, hunger, and the idea of ‘it’s all they know.’

Many of you have said already that everyone has a bad skate at one point or another. The problem is WHEN you have it. We are all fallible. But what seems to get an athlete through a performance when it counts is a HUNGER for the top prize. (It's interesting that thousands of miles away from each other, Kinori and I came up with the same word -- hunger...) One can still make mistakes, but a fierce hunger usually wins the day and while I don’t care at all for D/R’s skating, yesterday they chewed through any potential mistakes and spit out a good program.

Sometimes I have wondered aloud why V+T keep skating and my husband replies, “well, that’s their LIFE – it’s all they know.….” Think about it – Tatiana has been skating since 4 years old and Max, something close to that. It must be alarming to think of life without training and without competitions. Kinori mentions the same person I was thinking about -- Aliona Savchenko. She couldn’t give up skating because she hasn’t yet achieved her goal, but V+T HAVE taken the top prize. Surely a goal already achieved affects their willpower to fight through a program.

And perhaps their joyous marriage has complicated their lives perhaps more than expected. Now interviewers are asking about starting a family, and this important step looms before them, surely dividing their attention. The next stage of their life together may very well be undermining their skating. V + T have so many things they can do next, but I can’t imagine mediocre performances are something they can bear for very long.

Remember some of the great skaters in this competition are 16 years old, 20 and 21 years old – certainly not in the category of marriage and children.

The commentators on IceNetwork.com reported that after V+T’s disappointing performances, Moser said that Max’s shoulder injury meant their training time was affected and, by necessity, reduced. I saw no evidence of Max’s shoulder bothering him, when they trained, but who knows? Though it did seem like 1 ½ hours of skating a day is not much. After one practice, Max hung around and talked to Moser for a while – maybe he was complaining that his shoulder felt lousy? I have no idea. But when Max and Tanya did their double axels in practice, they were spot on. And not once did Max massage his shoulder or seemed to suffer after a big throw and Tanya landed every throw with precision. They appeared to be in peak condition physically. I cannot speak to their frame of mind, but that’s is what I believe has changed. And maybe that’s just fine.

I don’t know if they will keep going or pull back. As some have said, it’s hard to see them go out after a poor showing. That may fire them up to continue, or they may say, “well, this is a kind of sign…. We need to move on.” Whatever they do, as has also been stated eloquently on this thread, we will support them. Nothing can alter what they have already achieved in their skating– excellence and grace, a frequent and genuine tenderness, compelling skills, courage, natural elegance, beauty and charisma.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
There is a lot of Russian commentary today that this is a big screw up on part of Mozer. They should never have been there.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I don't think it's Mozer's fault. A coach can only do so much and they were doing great in practices.

They will continue to skate as long as Tatiana wants to. That's the reason why they came back, because Tat said let's try.