Tatsuki Machida | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yes, I think he is in a perfect position to take gold with a great no.9 tomorrow. He is within reach and without any pressure or media attention that had proved to be so distracting. And I am sure the Spanish crowd would clap along with the music to help him on. :biggrin:

I think the Spanish crowd will eat up Tatsuki's flair for the dramatic in his Ninth Symphony LP.;)

BTW love how the BEsp commentators "get" Tatsuki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpjduJ6Qvqo. Simon: "He represents the music so well." Chris: "The great things about this guy is his commitment to the program."

And I realize that Tatsuki is the same margin behind Yuzuru that Yuzuru was as to Tatsuki in last Worlds (seven points). I love them both so I want each of them to have the best possible performance tomorrow. Also hoping the best from Javier.

Hibiskas

Spectator
So there were slight mistakes but that was really beautiful.
I'm proud of you,Tatsuki!!
Hope to see your good smile at FS's Kiss and Cry:cheer:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Tatsuki at the press conference (via Absolute Skating):

My second Grand Prix was also in Europe, in France, and I didn’t have much time in between before coming here so it was a bit hard mentally and physically for me but I did my best to prepare. I can’t say I’m in the best condition, especially today in practice I felt quite desperate, it was not a good practice. But I was able to pull out a performance I can be proud of.

Also FS run through report from today (via @CSSp4)

Tatsuki was OK on basically everything although didn't do a lot of jumps during his music. Fell on 3A

Check out this beautiful 3Lo from the run through. He's doing it with his hands on his hips!
https://vine.co/v/O6D19exYiFH

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Well nobody is touching this thread and with good reason. As I predicted a few posts earlier, I didn't underestimate Yuzuru and listed him as the winner. He was in a different league today, miles ahead of the others.

Back to Tatsuki - that was probably the most horrifying program I've ever seen. GPF 2013 nightmare is replaced by GPF 2014 nightmare no matter how much I wished this wouldn't happen. But I admit I wasn't expecting it to go this bad and no matter how much I'm trying to find answers I can't. I guess he's been saying he wasn't feeling well for the past few weeks or so. I'm not even sure this was a case of pressure going to his head, it was much worse than that.

I hope this is not the end. No matter what happens, I'm still a huge fan of his, and I'll keep being one. :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Certainly not the skate Tatsuki wanted. Like some in the GPF senior men's thread I wonder whether he's physically all right. Or his LP performance may be due to the same mental issues that ionap had previously noted. :(

I sincerely hope Tatsuki doesn't beat himself up over this as he has a tendency to be very hard on himself. There is still Japanese Nationals where besides the usual suspects, he will have to contend with the rising Shoma Uno. Praying for a redemptive skate for Tatsuki there and then at Worlds. Ganbatte Tatsuki!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I hope this is not the end. No matter what happens, I'm still a huge fan of his, and I'll keep being one. :)

Me too. He has become so dear to me, probably because I have "discovered" him so late and also because I think he doesn't get the appreciation he deserves.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Certainly not the skate Tatsuki wanted. Like some in the GPF senior men's thread I wonder whether he's physically all right. Or his LP performance may be due to the same mental issues that ionap had previously noted. :(

I sincerely hope Tatsuki doesn't beat himself up over this as he has a tendency to be very hard on himself. There is still Japanese Nationals where besides the usual suspects, he will have to contend with the rising Shoma Uno. Praying for a redemptive skate for Tatsuki there and then at Worlds. Ganbatte Tatsuki!

I'm as worried as you are, Maria. I'm also wondering whether he's physically / mentally ok. I also wonder if this is a result of beating himself up too hard, like you said. I can only imagine what he's going through right now and wish I could do something to support him but I can only send good thoughts.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Me too. He has become so dear to me, probably because I have "discovered" him so late and also because I think he doesn't get the appreciation he deserves.

ITA. That's probably the reason why I feel so protective of him right now, it gets tiring enough to skip past so many disrespectful comments and now this happens. I also happen to think he is a wonderful person and wonderful skater and doesn't deserve any of the things he's getting in his life/career. But in the end his only enemy is himself. I won't deny, I am very worried about Nationals now.

Wo|flax

Final Flight
ITA. That's probably the reason why I feel so protective of him right now, it gets tiring enough to skip past so many disrespectful comments and now this happens. I also happen to think he is a wonderful person and wonderful skater and doesn't deserve any of the things he's getting in his life/career. But in the end his only enemy is himself. I won't deny, I am very worried about Nationals now.

I think he will come back strong for Nationals after this. :yes: :cheer2: Or I hope so. I also wish assumptions on his attitude weren't made. I think there is a tendency to typecast a little, does that make sense?

iceberg

On the Ice
Hi guys just like you all are i have the highest of hopes for Tatsuki but because of whtat just happened with a heavy heart i have decided to officially skip watching and following this seasons competition. I will still be staying here though on his page and will watch his programs that i adore. I am still wishing him the best of what this season awaits him.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I think he will come back strong for Nationals after this. :yes: :cheer2: Or I hope so. I also wish assumptions on his attitude weren't made. I think there is a tendency to typecast a little, does that make sense?

The last time he was so disastrous at the GPF he ended up 9th at the Nationals... but that was 2 years ago and I actually thought those days were over.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I'm as worried as you are, Maria. I'm also wondering whether he's physically / mentally ok. I also wonder if this is a result of beating himself up too hard, like you said. I can only imagine what he's going through right now and wish I could do something to support him but I can only send good thoughts.

Tatsuki is a far, far better skater than that GPF LP performance would show. I hope he realizes that and starts his way back from there. His mother, who is a loving woman by all accounts, I think will help him there. And I think Tatsuki's coaches should also sit down with him.

I think what Brian Orser said before as to Yuzuru's NHK performance is applicable in this instance: "You know, each skater gets his humbling competition, when you have to walk ashamed in front of everybody. We all have that. I was not hoping for it, but there is always a silver lining. If you manage to get something good out of something bad, that's nice."

I hope for that silver lining for Tatsuki.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
This was the one big damper of the GPF for me. I guess GPF really isn't Tatsuki's competition.

I don't know what happened... a lot of those jumps looked decent on the take-off, but he just couldn't land them. Maybe the media/fans/everyone (myself included) hyped things a bit too far after SA, naming Tatsuki as leader of the Japanese charge, ect. I hope that now Tatsuki has some of the pressure off him, he'll do better at Nationals/Worlds.

I'm nervous for him because Japanese nationals for men is a little like Russian nationals for women: one mistake might be the difference between first and fourth. And I'm not sure the federation will make an exception for him if he underperforms.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
He was absolutely incredible in practice today. I couldn't believe my eyes during the actual competition. If something was wrong with him, it must have happened after practice. Either that, or nerves or just an off-evening. But I still love watching him skate and will forever cheer for him.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
I feel awful for Machida. I was really hoping for a Yuzu, Tatsuki, Javier podium and for him to end up last? Shocking. I hope he recovers, it has to be hard on him mentally.

ioanna

Record Breaker
To be honest, I couldn't even picture Worlds 2015 without his Fantasy SP and Symphony no 9 FS. He only has 12 days left to pull it together and get a Worlds ticket, will it be enough?

Maria - you are right about his mother. I hope she'll have a talk with him, she's probably the only person who can really help him right now. As for his coaches - it almost looks like he's been training by himself since TEB? He's been saying "I don't feel well" for weeks now, did nobody do anything about it I wonder?

Sandpiper - I know you were nowhere near a Tatsuki fan not too long ago, but for his sake I'm glad he's still gaining new supporters. Can I ask though, out of the curiosity of a longtime fan and also to give a more positive vibe to this thread, what is it about his skating this season that made you like him?