Tell us about yourself | Golden Skate

Tell us about yourself

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
As most of the old timers here know, I like to know more about you. I have been amazed how much some of them tell. There are quite a few new people here and welcome all of you. The more the merrier.
Most of you know that I am a great grandmother and am a widow. I have had numerous jobs. Started working right out of high school at 17 in Lincoln, NE. I did not work when my children were small. I am so glad I was able to be home with them. I know nowadays that most mothers have to work and I can't judge them for that. I am just thankful I could be home with them. Met my husband in Lincoln when he was a UN student and we were married 50 years before his passing. Out latest ventures were making jewelry and taking it to art & craft shows all over the country. We had a van & travel trailer and some hairy escapades with those. Did you ever notice a bunch of RV's in the mall parking lots when there were craft shows going on? That was us a lot of times. I always called them "generator city". :laugh: And no, we didn't think it was funny at all when the teenagers would drive through in the wee hours honking after we had arisen early to do the show and it was very late when we got to bed and we were completely worn out. After all, if you had jewelry you sure didn't leave it setting out overnight in the mall. You still had to lock it all up after everyone else had left.
Now, I am trying to get my four level house ready to sell and it sure is slow going. Overwhelming, actually.
So tell us about yourself. I think we can be more understanding when we know more about each other.

Becca84

Rinkside
Hi Grgranny :)

I'm a 19 yr old Floridian, born & raised. I've always loved to watch figure skating events when I can, & I've been to a live competition once ('98 Keri Lotion F.S. Classic) & SOI this year. & although I love f.s., I can't ice skate w/out holding on to a rail.
As I posted on another thread, I have only had a tv for 2 yrs, & the internet for less than a yr. Because of this, I wasn't able to watch many f.s. events before Dec. '02, so now I try to find as many videos as possible.
Aside from f.s., I love to scrapbook, watch Smallville (& actor Tom Welling), & I'm a Clay Aiken fan...
I'm an only child so I'm spoiled :laugh: & right now I'm looking for a job so I can afford to go to college.
& that's about all I can think of right now...

Rixis

On the Ice
That's a good question! I don't know much personal stuff about you guys. Yes, I don't ice skate much, although I was great a couple years ago, now I don't think I am graceful enough. (But I am a fabulous skier, and pretty good at badmintton too) :p I'm Steph, a sophomore in high school..most people think my intelligence is the best thing I have going for me. I start college classes next year and I plan on going into medicine, Dermatology or Sports Medicine. I know English, Italian, and Latin, I'm learning Russian, and I would like to learn German and Japanese. I don't like English music and I can't stand people my own age. I live in Ohio land of disgusting weather :-b I love film, adult swim, figure skating (of course) drawing, the mob, culinary arts, video games, among many other things. The thing people notice about me first is usually my dark, crazily curly hair. Strengths: Can always put a smile on one's face, very intelligent, a generous person, never following the crowd. Weaknesses: Obsesses over people and some stuff way more than she should, too egotistical, procrastinates, low self esteem, bad grooming habits. Well I guess that's an okay introduction to my life. :D

aliaschick

Rinkside
Hi. I'm a 17 year old from Canada (18 on April 14th!) I'm not a skater but I have always been a big skating fan. I do a lot of dance at my local studio, mostly ballet and jazz. Other than skating, the other sport I follow is gymnastics. I'm also a big fan of the tv show Alias, as well as CSI and Without A Trace. I'm going to university next year where I plan to major in political science. And thats it I guess. This is a good question! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok well, I'm not a newbie... but that doesn't mean I'm DQed right? LOL

I'm Toni, I'm 19, and was born and raised in Alaska... which I still currently reside in. I have no life LOL I live on the net. ;) I live in a small podunk of a town where jobs are scarce(except in fast food and the fast food workers have bad reps so I don't even consider those jobs. I'm a college freshman... though really I'm only taking two classes this semester. I plan to go to the University of Alaska, Anchorage next fall. I'll be living with my aunt who bought all the ESPN channels on her Satelite thing just so I could get all the skating! :laugh: I love her :D Anyway I plan to major in Journalism and Public Communication...

I am a Southern Baptist... my dad's a youth pastor... and I've recently become the head of the media/worship department... I answer only to the pastor and music minister! :eek: lots of pressure...

I'm an American Idol fantatic... I hate to miss a show if I do on accident... and Clay is so totally the best! WOOT WOOT!

As for figure skating... I love all parts of it... but professional skating is my absolute favorite... I've been a fan of "show skating" since I was 3... so yeah... that was a while ago!

um... basically that's me.. if not just ask or check out my site or my journal.

lulu

Final Flight
I'm from the United States, currently in college. My major (for the time being;) ) is international relations, as well as minors in communication and organizational leadership. I speak some Spanish(not fluent by any stretch of the imagination though)

I'm worried about trying to find a summer job. I tend to worry about everything though.

:(

None of my friends really like FS, so I'm sort of the odd man out.

I love FS, my favorite discipline is pairs, with my least favorite being ladies. Although I do like certain lady figure skaters. I really enjoy going to nearby rinks and watching local competitions. Despite seeing the local talent, I have never seen elite skating live. :eek:

I'm also into website design.

I also enjoy soccer & basketball (to play-although I was never on a team). Artistic and Rhythmic gymnastics. I can pretty much listen to any kind of music and like it. Exceptions being some type of country music (except Patsy Cline-she was great)

mariana

On the Ice
Hi! I'm from Argentina and I am 21 years old. Born & raced in Buenos Aires, our Capital, I'm a law student and I work for tree lawers so I can get experience and a good reference for my Curriculum vitae when I graduate.
I fell :love: with figure skating when I was 5, that's the year when my grandmother and I went to a Holiday on Ice Show. But at that time I didn't had cable so I could only see my favorite sport once a year. That was until '99, when my family (my dad, and only because he wanted to see more tennis tournaments

:D ) finaly was able to get cable, I have not miss a single broadcast since then. And the was that ESPN doesn't transmit, well, whats internet for if not to download my favorite sport?:D
I love Pairs and Dance, and I like men and ladies.
:p

R

Rebecca

What a nice thread. As great as it is to read information about everybody else, let's be honest here: who doesn't love to talk about themselves? ;) Oh? I'm the only egoist who just likes to hear myself type? Lies! Fabrication!

I'm turning 22 in a week or three. My goodness. When did that happen? I could have sworn that I was 20 just two days ago. Blink.

I'm just wrapping up my third year of what should be a 4 year psychology program, but.... because I'm extra special, I get to stay for a 5th *cough* I chalk that up to switching programs 600 times. I was all over the place too: computers, biophysics.... then psychology? I'm not sure what happened either. If you figure it out, let me know.

I live just outside of Toronto Ontario, Canada. It's okay here. At least I'm not right in Toronto. Too much concrete for my liking.

When I graduate I am hoping on going to school in Vancouver to take a Masters in Cognitive Psychology. We'll see how that goes. At some point I'd like to teach English overseas. Whether or not that happens before or after the Masters is yet to be decided. Whether or not the Masters is the end of the line or not is also yet to be decided.

I have loved figure skating for as long as I can remember, but I stopped watching after Salt Lake City. I lost faith and eventually forgot about it altogether. Then a few weeks ago, I came home and my roomate was taping the mens free program at the worlds for his girlfriend, who is a huge fan of the sport. Naturally, watching along with him was a much better option than studying, which is what I should have been doing. Somewhere in that two hour timeframe, the 12 year old in me came out and got totally hooked on one of the skaters. Being the 12 year old that I am, I googled him immediately. In doing so, I read about lots of other skaters, lurked a few different boards, and eventually settled on this one. Somewhere in all of that, my love of figure skating was renewed! So... thanks, Joubert *cough*

Figure skating is not my first love though. That honour goes to Tennis. Greatest. Sport. Ever. Every summer I go to the Tennis Masters Canada and watch the best in the world duke it out on court 600, or wherever they happen to schedule my favourites that week. I also have made it to the US Open the last couple years, and hope to keep up the tradition.

So, that about sums me up.

Negative qualities of mine would likely include my tendancy to ramble on and on and on about myself, and my likes, and my life, and me me me. Some might consider me a little bit self centered. Lies! Fabrication!

A list of my positive qualities would have to include my inability to take anything seriously. I insist that this is a good quality, and will not be convinced otherwise! Stubborness. Also endearing.

The tongue is always placed firmly in cheek.

(edited, because I can not spell)

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Not much to tell...I started figure skating in Prince George, BC when I was about twelve years of age. My dad made a rink in our back yard, and I skated every night until it was dark. I still have photos of me out there practicing my spiral. I figure skated for many years in and around the lower mainland (Vancouver and outer areas). Now, I am more of "an arm chair expert" and recreational skater. I still like to get out there once in awhile (although I feel ancient) and skate around. I can still do a sit spin!

My brother was an ice dancer and competed many years. I used to go to all of his competitions. It was fun. I got to see many of the top skaters this way for free!

I also play the piano and love music (classical being my favorite) and movies. I work for a college (as an auxiliary) most of the time I work in the bookstore. Of course, my interest in figure skating has never changed. I still love it.

I live in a small apt. and I am hoping to be able to buy a place (townhouse) soon.

That's about it!!!!

-Not very exciting!;)

rusalka

On the Ice
hello!i'm 20,i'm from Genoa,Italy, but i study in a different town at a university for interpreters and translators(don't know what it's called exactly in english).i speak english,russian(not very well),a little spanish and i'm studying arabic.
i started skating when i was5(not on ice and not figure skating).i <<fell in love>>with figure skating watching SLC olys.figure skating is not a very popular sport in italy,it was the first time i had the opportunity to watch it. i'm interested especially in ice dance.The first ones i saw skating are FP&M they're one of my favorites.
then i like Torvill-Dean and, lately, Denkova-Staviyskiy and Faiella-Scali(absolutely not biased ;) :p :laugh: )
i like music,some of my favorites are R.E.M.,Evanescence, Shakira and many others.i'm also interested in traditional music from different parts of the world

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Hi, I'm Kara. I'm 22 and I live in Moncton, New Brunswick. I just moved here two weeks ago....fourth move in a year. My poor Kitty is stressed from all the change. Whenever we open the front door she runs and hides....I think shes scared that we're going to put her in the car again.

Right now I am unemployed...I was working 2 weeks ago, but my contract ended. :( Yesterday, I heard that I have been accepted into grad school. I'm not very excited. I'm not sure if its the right thing for me. Its hard figuring out what to do with my life. I think I would like to become an interior designer...but how does one become one? I dunno

I am usually not as muddled up as I am today.

Its nice to hear from all the relatively new people...especially fellow Canucks! :)

icenut84

Final Flight
Hi :) I'm Rachel, I'm 20 and from England. I'm in my first year at university at the moment, and am also about to start a part-time job at a theme park for during the holidays.
I fell in love with skating when I was 10, watching Torvill & Dean's comeback, and they're still my favourite skaters. It was a dream from then onwards to skate myself, but the lack of a local rink made it impossible. I finally began lessons when I was 17, so I have been skating for three years, and I love it! I'm also starting to love spirals almost more than any other move. When you get a good FO one, you really do feel like you're flying. I'm working on getting strong spirals on all 8 edges (forward & backward, inside & outside, both feet).
I have a very eclectic taste in music.
My favourite eligible skaters include Plushenko, Lambiel, Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya, Suguri, Denkova & Staviyski, Faiella & Scali, Shen & Zhao, and many more. I also have high hopes for the Kerrs after their amazing first major year this year. :) I also love Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze.
I have a big crush on Johnny Depp.
I've travelled to quite a few countries but never been outside Europe.
I'm a quarter Irish (my grandmother).

:)

N@d&A

Rinkside
Hi I´m Nadia, I´m from Puebla,Mexico I´m 15
I felt in love of skating when I was 10 but here we didn´t have an ice rink in that time so I started skating until I was 13 exactly on the day of my birthday:)

I speak English, French and I´m lerning Russian, I´ve never been on a live competition but I´ve been on Champions on ice tour exactly on the day of my birthday too:D

I love music, dancing and men and dance
I don´t have a favorite skater because I think everyone is good but some of them only need to fix some mistakes.
I have a sister (12 years old) who´s always bodering me by the way she´s bodering me right now but I love her.

So I think that´s it, Is nice to meet all of you

BYE

Kateri

On the Ice
Hiya,

I'm English, and a 22 year old third year university student, reading Classics (y'know, the Greek and Roman dead guys). I love literature, philosophy, mythology, theology, and languages (can read/speak French, German, Latin and Ancient Greek, and am currently trying to teach myself Japanese from internet learning sites!)

I'm pretty unathletic, and could never figureskate myself. I got into it through my mother, who used to like to watch in case anyone fell down, so she could laugh:rolleye:
I got really into it, although I only started watching in 1998, so my knowledge of anyone prior to that is limited.

My favourites include Annisina/Peizerat, Yagudin, Ber/Sik, Abt, Jeannette, Abitbol/Bernadis, Suguri, Lambiel, Savoie, Shen/Xaou (in fact, all the Chinese pairs), Kwan, Chait/Sakh, Denk/Staviski, Weir, uh....more I've forgotten...

And I like to waste my time posting to message boards when I should be writing essays!!

Kate(ri)

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi Grgranny,

I always love these threads, as I too like to learn more about fellow GSers.

For you newbies, I am in my 50's, mother of 2 and as of 4-13, the grandmother of one little boy. Welcome, "little" Michael Gabriel! He weighed 8 pounds and was 21 1/2 inches long. Not exactly tiny! My son-in-law said he's grounded for missing his first curfew - he was 3 days late! Baby and parents are all doing fine. So are 2 grandmas and 1 greatgrandma! He's the first and only grandchild on both sides, so he'll be spoiled, guaranteed!

Now, you've heard about my daughter - my son is a junior at Ohio State and an Army Reservist, at least for a few more months until his enlistement ends. He is an honor student there. Now why wouldn't he do that in high school?

Obviously, I am proud of how my kids turned out, in spite of me raising them!

I am divorced and live with a 19 year old cat. My senior kitty citizen is named Smokie and she is going blind. Still, she woke me up an hour ago because she wanted to play and me, party pooper that I am, I was trying to sleep!

I'm old enough to remember when the entire US figure skating team died in a plane crash on the way to worlds. I fell in love with skating watching Peggy Fleming on ABC. Haven't stopped watching since.

Fan only, as I have two left feet and have been known to trip for no reason.

Well, I'll shut up now. Again, welcome to all the newer members. Hope we hear from you often. (aside to my fellow Ohioan. Yep, the weather here often sucks. But we are supposed to have lovely spring weather this weekend if you can hold on! :D )

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm in my late 60's & have been a figure skating fan for 35 years or so. My video tape collection goes back to 1983. When I was a teen I competed in short track speed skating. What I enjoy most now is watching certain young skaters develop & improve & hopefully, become successful at the Sr. elite level. Right now, I'm most interested in Weir & Lysacek who I saw for the 1st time at the '01 Jr. Worlds. I admit to being very pro-US skaters altho I appreciate the time & effort that skaters of all countries put into this sport. I've posted on various boards for the past 4 years or so & am known to some here as Dede from SkateForum.
Oh, I've been a widow for 14 years, mother of 2, grandmother of 1. I live alone with my dog, Kristi (named for ???) & I love it. (living alone, that is. Well, I love my dog, too!) My daughter is retired from the USAF & my son owns & operates a video store. I'm a retired banker, business woman.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'm 24 and have lived in Chattanooga, TN all of my life. I am the youngest of three children (by far). I'm currently student teaching and hope to work as a 5th grade teacher after I graduate from the University of Tennessee.

I love English, literature, history, geography and anthropology. And, I have one admission....I have another obsession that nearly equals the one I have for figure skating! I love Russian history, especially anything to do with Nicholas II and his family. I also have an obsession with movies! I love all types of music, but as of late I've been on a classical kick.

I have two nieces and nephews and spend a great amount of time with them and my family. I have a wonderful doberman named Hallee and two sugar gliders named Albert and Lilly. I've also owned everything from hamsters to cockatiels to rabbits to tree frogs....I'm a big animal nut. That is all for now!

icewings

Rinkside
Hi, this is a good idea for a thread! I post very rarely but for around a year have been reading GS, Fsuniverse, MKF. I'm a high school senior in D.C. and I'll probably be going to CU-Boulder next year; I want to be a physical therapist, specializing in elite athletes (runners, gymnasts, cyclists, figure skaters hopefully) I'm a very very very serious runner and hope to qualify for the 2008 (at the earliest) or 2012 Olys. Injuries have been bothering me for some time now and going to PT 3x a week for over 2 years is what has made me interested in PT as a career
My favorite skaters are: MK, Plushy, Stephane, Brian, S/Z, Johnny Weir, Sasha, G&G, B&S, Brian (Boitano), Miki (most recently) and there are probably some others I'm forgetting
I also love Lance Armstrong, Tyler Hamilton, Tom Boonen (all 3 are cyclists), Shannon Miller, Mary Decker Slaney, Deena Drossin(now Kastor)
I'm trying to find a way to get to Turin for Olys!! I can dream I guess...
I guess that's about all I can think of now...

mpal2

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
I'm 24 and have lived in Chattanooga, TN all of my life.

:eek: We have to get together! I thought I was the only FS fan in Chattanooga!!