Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

Diok

Rinkside
oh nice! skating last is a big plus when ur first after the short. Still a bit peeved they r not atleast 2pts ahead as they should be the fix better not be in rolls eyes.......Other teams skate not even looking at each other these 2 scream chemistry. Awesome world record SD!

Haikush

On the Ice
We need to be preapared for the huge injustice coming. PC will win the gold. Today's joke of a score left no doubt. Highest PCS? LOL...........

Haikush

On the Ice
oh nice! skating last is a big plus when ur first after the short. Still a bit peeved they r not atleast 2pts ahead as they should be the fix better not be in rolls eyes.......Other teams skate not even looking at each other these 2 scream chemistry. Awesome world record SD![/QUOT

I'm really pissed off. VM were amazing today but they're only first almost by default. Should be 2-3 pts higher if not for that joke of a score for PC

Diok

Rinkside
i totally agree the scoring for papadakis/cizeron r sketchy and was watching with friends they all didn't even get the hype these 2 get all the time i get their FD is beautiful but their short today was terrible. Again should be 2.5 its ahead atlas

well they did get a world record score so not by default but i get what ur saying P/C were over scored to keep it close.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
There is hope for tonight. I was really afraid SD will set things up.

Good luck Tessa and Scott!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
here are my impressions re-posted from The Edge thread - I think that performances like today's will go as iconic for many years to come and will remind a lot of people that there was such exquisiteness once upon a time produced, making me longing for them harder, wishing that there would be someone like them, with such presence, but there is none really.

The most prominent feature of the performance was iron confidence radiating from their every move - they owned the moment, the music, the connection happening between them in a very complex way that comprises from not only from moving, but also having certain level of consciousness and control over the movement itself. The performance was simply driven, magnetic and 'animalistic' in its attack, design, boldness. My impression is that this was the highest quality level of performance possible not due to scores/levels received, but due to their ability to focus and cumulate the energy, skill, emotion inside those few minutes and leave a mark that is lasting, impression that lingers for a long time, longer even than WR score they achieved.

I get the opinion that their TE performance was more effective to the outside - it definitely felt more 'relaxed' in terms of expression as it was only a warm-up to the real competitive deal. They obviously needed that run to work out execution kinks of all those recent changes introduced at Nationals, making them integrated and effective with the wholesome, but still emit that energy and vibe required for interpretation and reflection of musical style/convention chosen. Today's SD performance however was for me a master class of how the program should be led in various perspectives to become unity, but provide a kaleidoscope of impressions to digest on, on the highest level of competition - the program that was not an universal favourite and a loved convention to choose, neither it was designed to fill up the 'darling' spot among the all; the program was a challenge in many ways I think for them, but the way they moulded it into their own preference, personalities step by step reached its pinnacle today, making a statement and a signature in my opinion.

They were in control in EVERY aspect of their performance, leaving nothing to a chance - the command with their executed steps, elements and exchanged energy/chemistry between them left practically no room for error and discussion about it; they were able to focus on their material, way of executing it solely, improving it steadily, not really having a notion in them of being concerned about people's reaction. They believed - in programs, their abilities, decisions made, approach taken, perspective pursued and it really showed today in manner they skated. There was a precision in both step sequences that appeared already during the season in parts, but not all the way around (except maybe Nationals): to blend technicalities, athleticism in executing them with Latin ballroom styling of movement (all figures, body actions, connections, framing presented amazingly, especially samba references in regards to movement and rhumba interpretation/partnering), applying it perfectly in synch with music/rhythm AND still making it flow seamlessly it takes something special. Also, one of few teams that really translated the overall feel/vibe/style of music/pieces of it soundly into choreography and interpretation - it was almost like the music predetermined the attitude, envisioned this right picture, this 'punch' to be applied in their step to make it work - and sell further; the music required certain level of boldness, vividness, this decisive line marked over musical accents by movement, this sensuality on the verge of being provocative, 'animalistic', hypnotic touch to make the dance speak and dare by its visual. With this, they followed the suit with expression and partnering - they are both equally visible and engaged into the performance, there is Scott amazingly presenting Tessa's exquisiteness of lines, edge work, movement finishing, body isolations/control and so on, but there is also Tessa making the frame that Scott made into something beautiful, intricate, completing the picture. It was especially visible during pattern and partial step section today - they were both complimentary to each others' silhouettes and lines created perfectly, enriching the value of performance altogether.

I might be in minority, but I really love this loud vibe, unapologetic drive transmitted by them in this dance and today's performance, with Scott's OTT et all. It makes something very individual, custom at the end and leaves one of a kind impression that is not applicable for any other team. The dance design and performance quality may be bold and big to fill in, but each time they performed it in competition there was a great sense of re-balancing the loudness of package/concept by making rhumba section more intimate and closer in holds, with more and more lines' details and adding more musical intricacies into the choreography, making this whole boldness to breathe, flow and cast a spell. And I feel that the vehicle overall is allowing people to explore/experience the intensity of various emotions at once, which adds to the vibrancy of visual created.

I showed several clips of SDs happened today to my workmates who are not into FS at all - they have different favourites among performances, but the common thing they've said is that there is indeed something strongly 'je ne sais quoi' (experience, control, maturity, vividness, chemistry etc.) about the way they are performing and about that particular program comparing it to other ones. For them, it was just another level of sharpness, intensity, consummation into performance and connection between them. One of my colleagues said after non-touching step sequence (I showed them Virtue/Moir as the last performance) 'I really get why they are won this segment, even not seeing the rest of the program. they are a walking, moving statement, you cannot take eyes of them, her in particular'.

No surprises really about scoring, PCS in particular. Nothing new under the sun about that one. Good though for them to get all lvl4, a proof that they are capable of that also outside of Canada. I bet it was not in the agenda for today in many books, especially after TE SD. And happy to see them pushing everything to the very limit - they sure are aware that it will get ten times harder tomorrow.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey guys, so my friend posted this.

My friend is not interested in ID whatsoever but ended up spending hours (instead of working on her PH.D. thesis :laugh:) looking up V/M videos and tweeting her insistance that they're "doing it." LOL.

Anyway, enjoy this to calm your nerves for the FD! They had a fab SD yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=32&v=wyCDhYyfwVc

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Time to rewatch Mahler n5 :agree2: I can't believe it was 8 years ago.

:), today (after re-watching like 5 times in a row SD) I watched their 'Valse Triste' FD from their very first senior season back in 2007 ... Talk about those who brought back classic into modernity, made it young, desirable, emotional, time flies so fast...

Bahar

Rinkside
They did it! Omg I am sooooooo happy for them. They are the OLYMPİC GOLD MEDALİSTS AGAİN!!! 😍💃🏻🎉

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
A dream come true. I'm happy they chose Moulin Rouge...it was just epic...
Thank you for everything, Tessa and Scott!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Hi GS,

Been lurking for a while now but I have to say that I am thrilled for Tessa and Scott to finish their competitive careers with 2 OGMs for 2018 with 4 brilliant skates in the team and individual events! I started watching FS when I saw V/M's OD from 2008 Worlds. Their wonderful expression captured my interest in ice dance and I have been following all four disciplines since (although I lack the technical knowledge of skating not being a skater myself). I am glad to have seen them live once in Skate Canada 2016. Their Prince SD was the highlight of the competition for me. They are an inspiration, coming back and winning the OGMs after their first one in 2010. Congratulations to Tessa and Scott!