Thanks for everything Evan and Johnny | Golden Skate

Thanks for everything Evan and Johnny

UM84

On the Ice
You both have done hugh things for US skating, and your presence will be greatly missed. All I can say is think god we have 4 yrs to find the next star.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I definitely agree, thanks to them both!

For me personally especially thank Johnny for the beautiful artistic programs and for continuing to skate this entire Oly cycle. Pretty please go to Worlds just so I can see the programs one more time??

ranjake

Final Flight
he really was the old johnny, wasn't he? i hope he's proud of himself. i've missed that 'in the zone' johnny.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Are they really both retiring?
I agree, thanks to them both. And congrats to Evan on the gold.

Figure88

On the Ice
Are they really both retiring?
I agree, thanks to them both. And congrats to Evan on the gold.

Evan said he probably won't compete in Worlds. (Yay! This will give other skaters the opportunity to compete) He said will probably continue competing for the next season at the most but he has no definite plans right now. Hersh's new article:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Thank you Evan "Man In Black" Lysacek and Johnny "Angel/Diva/Gaga" Weir for an amazing several years of blood, sweat, and tears. Evan for your consistency and attack and Johnny for your artistry and even your funny comments.

Now let's turn the page and let Jeremy and Adam have their time! Heck even Ryan Bradley going to Worlds!

Evan said he probably won't compete in Worlds. (Yay! This will give other skaters the opportunity to compete) He said will probably continue competing for the next season at the most but he has no definite plans right now. Hersh's new article:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/

No Evan and Johnny at Worlds=Ryan and Adam going to Worlds. Ryan gets a final send-off and Adam can start the Sochi cycle against the 2014 contenders!

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Johnny is quoted as saying he's going to Worlds, then he'll take assessment, with the hint he's leaning very heavily towards retiring then.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
It's all well & good to hope that Ryan & Adam will represent the US at Worlds next month but do you think they & Abbott will be able to secure us 3 spots for '11 Worlds? I hope Johnny & Evan both show up at Worlds & send Ryan in place of Jeremy. I do want the world to see Ryan's free program! But I echo "Thanks for everything, Evan & Johnny".

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Johnny & Evan both show up at Worlds & send Ryan in place of Jeremy.

Oh, HELL NO! Jeremy earned his spot on the Olympic and World team fair and square by skating spectacularly in both the SP and the LP at Nationals. It's his decision to give up his spot . . . the USFSA has no right to step in and "send Ryan in place of Jeremy." :scowl:

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
I will be so sad to see Johnny and Evan leave. I would like to thank Evan and Johnny for all the wonderful memories they have given us over the years. US Figure Skating definately won't be the same without them!! Again, thank you Johnny and Evan!!!!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Where did I mention the USFSA in my post? I'm thinking that Jeremy might choose to stay home. Not likely, but possible. Considering his age, I'm afraid I don't have that much faith in Abbott.

taikwan

On the Ice
Johnny WILL be at World's and Italy.

Johnny:

"I may not be the most decorated person in the skating world, but judging by the audience reaction at the beginning of my program and at the end, they go on my journeys with me.''

"I made myself proud. It was a damn good performance.''

"I'm happy I came back and competed. I knew things would be different here, and the result wouldn't be something I could control as much as I have in the past. I made myself proud. I came back and skated again this season for all the right reasons. Maybe I didn't win a medal at the Olympics, but I gave a darn good performance."

"I stopped thinking about the points when I came to this event. I knew mine would be different than everyone else's. I wasn't thinking about the judging as much my own performance."

After hearing the crowd's reaction to his performance and being given a garland of roses by a Japanese fan Johnny said "that was my gold medal."

".

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I just realized how bittersweet this day is. I will so miss these two men. I can't imagine U.S. Figure skating without them. No rivalry, no outrageousness, no joy and inspiration.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I agree, it will be really odd not to have the two of them skating in amateur competition. Thank you Evan and Johnny for representing the U.S. well for so many years. You did us proud and we were so lucky to have you.

I'm glad Johnny is proud of how he did. I didn't want him to be disappointed. He performed well.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/figure_skating/news?slug=ro-weirside021910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
I am going to skate in the World Championships and then I have to decide how long I want to stay on vacation,” he said. “In figure skating your body can only last for so long. I can’t be 50 and trying to skate but I can be 50 and be in fashion, so I have to look to my future and what I want to achieve.”

I look forward to seeing him there, for sure. Go Johnny!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
What about poor Jeremy? Thanks for nothing, Abbott? If we have to pile on the Hallmark sentiments, then let us thank Jeremy for um... sucking less after flubbing the first two jumps in the FS?

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I guess it's for Evan and Johnny because they've competed so long at the top level and may be done soon. Perhaps Jeremy is expected to continue?