The arrogant and sore sport Chad Hedrick! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The arrogant and sore sport Chad Hedrick!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
millie said:
Did anyone see when Kimmie was interviewed after her short program. The interviewer asked her what she thought about all the media attention that some skaters were getting. She made the comment something to the effect, probablly it's her turn for the media to focus the attention on her. Huh, she's been on The Today Show two and three times a day with Katie and every other program on T.V. that has a camera going. It seems that she most of the time with Billy Bush (ACCESS HOLLYWOOD). What more do she want.

She wanted to be the new Tara Lipinski. :biggrin:

Serena

Rinkside
I think they're both being morons and need to get over it. There's nothing wrong with Kimmie not being overjoyed- it's not like she dissed any of the other skaters.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Chad Hedrick felt a bit tired: “With three laps to go I dug real deep, ‘because I could see on the big screen that Verheijen was catching me. The energy to overcome the fatigue in those laps came from my heart. It’s bigger than anybody else’s. If anybody else had felt like I felt today, he hadn’t been on the podium.”

Carl Verheijen(the bronze medalist behind gold medal teammate Bob De Jong and silver medal Chad Hedrick), on the question what he thought of Chad’s tactics to shake him off, and Chad saying he had the biggest heart: “I’m glad that Chad thinks about me in his race and not about himself. Instead of thinking how to win a silver medal, he could have thought about how to win gold. Chad likes to say that his heart is bigger than anybody else’s. But the only big heart is Bob’s, who showed so much guts to go out that fast, without having any example that what he did would be possible on this tough ice.”

Interesting comments after the mens 10000 men speed skating final. Chad is such an arrogant jerk, so bitter he was hyped to win 5 golds and only won 1 gold.
I hope to see him fail a drug test in the next 4 years so he wont be in Vancouver at all. Still very glad he was in Turin, seeing how bitter he was with every race he did not win, and reading his arrogant sore loser comments after each one was entertainment and satisfaction enough for me at these Olympics.

Verhaejan said it right on! Bob de Jong was the winner of the race, not whiner Hedrick, no matter how much Chad whines and crows that he really had the biggest heart.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Tonichelle said:
both are jerks

apparently Davis was originally planning on skating the team event, and then dropped out... and didn't talk with Hedricks or any of the other members of that team... and it pissed Hedricks off. David had an individual event the day after the team event and that was his reason... but Hedricks didn't let it go and didn't congratulate Davis right away for his gold medal and Davis went and airred the dirty laundry, painted Hedricks as the @$$ and himself as a poor little guy who doesn't deserve the crap

both need a good kick in the pants, this is getting annoying

That isn't the way I heard it. The way I heard it, it was clear from the outset that Davis would not be doing the team event Then Hedrick started making Davis look unpatriotic because Davis was more interested in winning his own individual event -- which is exactly what Davis is supposed to be interested in doing! Here are the articles:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11432269

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11429930

FreeKatie

On the Ice

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
FreeKatie said:
ever since he started crying to reporters before skating his 1st race I started thinking there is something wrong with this guy psychologically - he is a bit crazy if you ask me.

cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo!

I also thought the story of how he won a gold on the day of his grandmother's tragic passing was a beautiful tribute at the time. Now seeing him more and more and seeing the unfortunate revealing of his personality, the cynic in me wonders if it was just being a way to be a media hog.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
I also thought the story of how he won a gold on the day of his grandmother's tragic passing was a beautiful tribute at the time. Now seeing him more and more and seeing the unfortunate revealing of his personality, the cynic in me wonders if it was just being a way to be a media hog.

I didn't hear about his grandmother, but I saw him interviewed and he started crying just because he was so excited to be there and then after he won he said he won because he just wanted it the most..yada yada yada.. I definitely think there are a few screws loose.

Vash01

Medalist
IMO Chad put too much pressure on himself by setting a goal of winning 5 gold medals to match the legendary Eric Heiden. Chad has been in this sport (on ice) for just over 18 months (am I correct?). He may have been better off focusing on one race at a time and doing his best in each.

Now to the main point of discussion- I thought his behavior toward his teammate Shani Davis was plain rude. No matter what Chad thought of Shani's pulling out of the team race (Shani had good reasons for it, it seems), there is no excuse for not congratulating his teammate on his gold medal.

I thought Chad's first (and only) gold medal created a very positive impression. He won his first race;it was his grandmother's passing and it was a touching story. However, the Chad that emerged a few days later was a different one.It seemed like the gold medal had gone to his head ( "I am the one with a gold medal here....." ). Shani wanted to win a gold in his specialty just as Chad wanted to win in all of his races. My impression was that Chad was being selfish in his quest to win 5 golds. His quest could have sacrificed one of his teammates' goal.

We won't know what kind of conversation these two had jprior to the team event, but Shani was applauding/cheering Chad on his race that took place later (I don;t remember if it was the last race). I did not see Chad applauding Shani in his race. In the 10000m neither of them won, possibly due to all the distraction created by their feud. It was nice for the home crowd though to see Fabris win.

I wonder if the feud was overpublicized by the media, but it created a negative impression of the US speed skating team (except for Joey Cheek who was wonderful in every aspect), in spite of their medal haul.

Vash

Last edited:

redladybug21

Rinkside
I kinda felt he was just a big whiner. I mean come on you already won a gold medal, do u still have to whine.

ragsy

Rinkside
JillLaQ said:
even Kimmie Miesner-who the camera caught last night after Sasha's skate looking like she just got DQd.

I'd like to take a minute to defend Kimmie. First of all, if you were watching the NBC feed, remember that the broadcast was tape delayed and edited. Even if it looks like that shot of Kimmie was taken after Sasha's skate, we really don't know for sure that it was. It could have been taken at any time during the evening and then edited into that slot.

Second, remember that Kimmie skated 2nd in the event (somewhere during mid to late afternoon). Sasha skated last and it has been documented that her skate took place after 11:00 p.m. Kimmie had been sitting around for HOURS by that point. Give her the benefit of the doubt -- even if that shot was taken when it appears to be, maybe she was just tired after a very long, eventful day.

soogar

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Chad Hedrick felt a bit tired: “With three laps to go I dug real deep, ‘because I could see on the big screen that Verheijen was catching me. The energy to overcome the fatigue in those laps came from my heart. It’s bigger than anybody else’s. If anybody else had felt like I felt today, he hadn’t been on the podium.”

Carl Verheijen(the bronze medalist behind gold medal teammate Bob De Jong and silver medal Chad Hedrick), on the question what he thought of Chad’s tactics to shake him off, and Chad saying he had the biggest heart: “I’m glad that Chad thinks about me in his race and not about himself. Instead of thinking how to win a silver medal, he could have thought about how to win gold. Chad likes to say that his heart is bigger than anybody else’s. But the only big heart is Bob’s, who showed so much guts to go out that fast, without having any example that what he did would be possible on this tough ice.”

Verhaejan said it right on! Bob de Jong was the winner of the race, not whiner Hedrick, no matter how much Chad whines and crows that he really had the biggest heart.

My thoughts on Chad: not directly answering your post but I thought it was pretty interesting which is why I quoted it.

I thought Chad was amazing that on tired legs he found that extra burst of energy to beat his opponent. They race for two things, one to beat the clock, and other to win their matchup. There's a lot of Chad hatred amongst the Dutch b/c he's an arrogant SOB who has the guts to believe in himself and do what he set out to do. I thought of all the speedskaters, he was the most intense out there and you can see that he wanted to win. It's unfortunate that many athletes feel the need to hide what they really want b/c if they are too outspoken and fail, then they have to worry about the backlash. But part of being a champion is believing you can win and acknowledging that you will win and doing everything possible to win.

As for Shani and Chad, I thought Shani was retarded for even mentioning in teh press conference that Chad didn't shake his hand. Just let that sh!t go instead of dredging it up over and over. Especially the manner Shani brought this up (at least the way I saw the press conference), just out of the blue and unprompted.

And I'm happy that Bob won.

To me, the knock against Hedrick is not so much that he was an intense competitor as rather, that he expected everyone else to just step aside and sacrifice their own Olympic goals so Hedrick could fulfill his boast of winning five gold medals.

For Hedrick to win five gold medals, not only would Davis have had to skate in the relay (which Davis didn't want to do, but Hedrick wanted him to (!) ), but also Davis would have had to hold back and throw the 1500 meters. Davis said no thanks.

MM

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
soogar said:
My thoughts on Chad: not directly answering your post but I thought it was pretty interesting which is why I quoted it.

I thought Chad was amazing that on tired legs he found that extra burst of energy to beat his opponent. They race for two things, one to beat the clock, and other to win their matchup. There's a lot of Chad hatred amongst the Dutch b/c he's an arrogant SOB who has the guts to believe in himself and do what he set out to do. I thought of all the speedskaters, he was the most intense out there and you can see that he wanted to win. It's unfortunate that many athletes feel the need to hide what they really want b/c if they are too outspoken and fail, then they have to worry about the backlash. But part of being a champion is believing you can win and acknowledging that you will win and doing everything possible to win.

As for Shani and Chad, I thought Shani was retarded for even mentioning in teh press conference that Chad didn't shake his hand. Just let that sh!t go instead of dredging it up over and over. Especially the manner Shani brought this up (at least the way I saw the press conference), just out of the blue and unprompted.

And I'm happy that Bob won.

Actually your points are all very good. Still I do think trying to diminish the winners victory because you are sour and bitter you did not win a race, as Chad did atleast 3 times(team pursuit, 1500 final, 10000 final)is rude and shows poor sportsmanship rather than supreme self-confidence and bluntness.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Vash01 said:
IMO Chad put too much pressure on himself by setting a goal of winning 5 gold medals to match the legendary Eric Heiden. Chad has been in this sport (on ice) for just over 18 months (am I correct?). He may have been better off focusing on one race at a time and doing his best in each.

Now to the main point of discussion- I thought his behavior toward his teammate Shani Davis was plain rude. No matter what Chad thought of Shani's pulling out of the team race (Shani had good reasons for it, it seems), there is no excuse for not congratulating his teammate on his gold medal.

I thought Chad's first (and only) gold medal created a very positive impression. He won his first race;it was his grandmother's passing and it was a touching story. However, the Chad that emerged a few days later was a different one.It seemed like the gold medal had gone to his head ( "I am the one with a gold medal here....." ). Shani wanted to win a gold in his specialty just as Chad wanted to win in all of his races. My impression was that Chad was being selfish in his quest to win 5 golds. His quest could have sacrificed one of his teammates' goal.

We won't know what kind of conversation these two had jprior to the team event, but Shani was applauding/cheering Chad on his race that took place later (I don;t remember if it was the last race). I did not see Chad applauding Shani in his race. In the 10000m neither of them won, possibly due to all the distraction created by their feud. It was nice for the home crowd though to see Fabris win.

I wonder if the feud was overpublicized by the media, but it created a negative impression of the US speed skating team (except for Joey Cheek who was wonderful in every aspect), in spite of their medal haul.

Vash

Chad has been speed skating for 3 years actually. He started a year after the 2002 Olympics. I dont think 5 golds was ever realistic for him though, he was not even a real medal contender in the 1000 metres, so already 5 was totally unrealistic even if he somehow won the other 4 which would be very hard as well to win all 4(including the team event) since he is not dominant in any event, just one of the best in alot of them.

I think the way he acted was bitterness started by his own goal of 5 golds, the team pursuit situation killed that chance that existed probably only in his own mind in the first place. He was bitter at Shani for killing that chance for him, even though as you said Shani had valid reasons for missing that event. As the Olympics went on and his feud with Shani went back and forth and flamed a bit more each day, and races went on without another gold medal he became more and more frusterated and aggravated with the situation he was in, he was not going to end the games anywhere near the new Eric Heiden he envisioned himself, and he realized his feud with Shani was also bad for his PR so he gradualy lost his politeness, sportsmanship, and class with each interview and each action.

M

mars

I think both of them are off...one is selfish and the other a sore loser. Chad should have just got over the team relay's loss and stop complaining. Shani could have help the team but he said No, because no one help him get where is at so he is not going to help anyone else either (he could have take part in the relay without it affecting his individual races, because the relay was two days before his event).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:
BTW, there are rumors that Chad Headrick is going to be the next Bachelor.

Figures... that is definately the best place for a self-centered person to enjoy all of life's delights... :p