The Current Depth of Skating by Nation | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Current Depth of Skating by Nation

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think this is the perfect time to try it. He's been nailing it at practice for years, and now he's landing them and staying on his feet in competition. His confidence is sky-high at the moment and he's only getting better and better. I really think there's no danger in the SP for him. It's not a Jason or Adam situation.

Vaild points. From a Josh development standpoint, I totally agree, from a 3 spots perspective though, I guess I'm worried since I don't think Rippon is likely to help us get 3 spots. If he skates like he did at Nationals, though, then he definitely could be mid top 10. 3 spots isn't everything though, especially because Josh is looking like the US #1 at this point anyways so he's less at risk of getting the boot.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Vaild points. From a Josh development standpoint, I totally agree, from a 3 spots perspective though, I guess I'm worried since I don't think Rippon is likely to help us get 3 spots. If he skates like he did at Nationals, though, then he definitely could be mid top 10. 3 spots isn't everything though, especially because Josh is looking like the US #1 at this point anyways so he's less at risk of getting the boot.

Speaking of depth of a nation: I don't think the US should take three spots for granted. Even with three spots, it seems that there are not enough to go around and plenty of competition.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Speaking of depth of a nation: I don't think the US should take three spots for granted. Even with three spots, it seems that there are not enough to go around and plenty of competition.

Agreed on that, there is definitely a good chance of them keeping the 3 spots for Worlds 2016, but it's not certain. I'd dare to say Russia has the most solid ground in that since Voronov and Kovtun, though they have not been spectacular, are more consistent. Japan is in a bit of risk of losing them, as well. The American skaters can perform spectacularly (I enjoy their performances much more than the Russians) or bomb it, like much of the men's field right now, really. I hope they manage to do it anyway, specially if Joshua continues this tendency of his of improving with each competiton. Adam and Jason have become, IMO, a bit of a wild card. It kind of depends on the day, for them.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agreed on that, there is definitely a good chance of them keeping the 3 spots for Worlds 2016, but it's not certain. I'd dare to say Russi has the most solid ground in that since Voronov and Kovtun, though they have not been spectacular, are more consistent. Japan is in a bit of risk of losing them, as well. The American skaters can perform spectacularly (I enjoy their performances much more than the Russians) or bomb it, like much of the men's field right now, really. I hope they manage to do it anyway, specially if Joshua continues this tendency of his of improving with each competiton. Adam and Jason have become, IMO, a bit of a wild card. It kind of depends on the day, for them.

Jason's scores have increased from the GP to 4CC, despite a bad SP with a botched quad: He was at around 235 during his GP events to 243 at 4CC, just a hair under Kovtun's SB.

Kovtun and Vornov's scores have gone down since GP. Voronov went from 252 at Rostelecom Cup to 233 at Europeans. Kovtun has seen less of a swing, but he went down from around 243 at Trophee Eric Bompard to 235 at Europeans.

So I don't think the Russians really have a corner on consistency. Really Jason's results actually depends less on how HE performs and more on how he does relative to others.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
So I think that is why I put them equal for now. Perhaps I will change my opinion after Jr. Worlds/Worlds.

Okay, so the Jr. Worlds are drawing to a close (the Ladies portion at least), any updates on opinions here? ;)

Well, I still stand by my current depth of ladies skating as: Russia > Japan > USA. Rough outing by the USA juniors this week.

We still have Worlds later this month though... but I am a bit skeptical of how well the USA ladies will fare. There's no question that Gracie & Ashley can be competitive if they bring their A-game, although I think the bronze medal is the only one up for grabs for a non-Russian skater.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We still have Worlds later this month though... but I am a bit skeptical of how well the USA ladies will fare. There's no question that Gracie & Ashley can be competitive if they bring their A-game, although I think the bronze medal is the only one up for grabs for a non-Russian skater.

I think it will be Liza, Elena and Ashley on the podium, in that order, if all 3 bring it like they have lately. Gracie's reputation has taken a hit this season, so unless she is perfect and Ashley makes mistakes, I see it this way. I don't think Satoko will make the podium - she seems to have regressed over the season rather than improved.

kresslia

Medalist
Canada post Olympics has not been good? Listen, we lack some depth right now, but that's completely ridiculous to say.

Our top pairs and dance teams are currently undefeated this season and are favourites for the gold medal at Worlds. Whose first thought when thinking back to 2015 Worlds will be "ah yes, (insert country here) landed those 3 skaters all in the top 15"? That's great, for sure, but what matters to most is who got on the podium.

Once Chan is back, we'll have three disciplines where we're right there at the top.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Men: Japan >> Russia ≥ US

Ladies: Russia >> Japan = US

Pairs: Canada ≥ Russia > China; when V/T return this coming season, it'll be Russia > Canada = China

Icey

Record Breaker
I misread the thread title as : The Current Death of Skate by Nation!!!!!!