The Good Judging/Judging Theory Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Good Judging/Judging Theory Thread

gkelly

Record Breaker
The choreography and musical interpretation held together but the total effect was diminished by little lapses in technical precision. (Should this be reflected in the second mark/PCS?)

There's nothing official in any of the PCS guidelines about reflecting errors in the PCS.

Skating Skills includes "Cleanness and sureness of deep edges, steps, and turns." Performance includes "Clarity of movement" (defined in the Program component explanations document from a few years ago as ""refined lines of the body and limbs, as well as the precise execution of any movement").

If you consider bad landings as representing unclean/unsure edges or imprecise execution of the movement, then you could reflect that in the appropriate component scores. E.g., "I would have awarded 8.5 for a clean performance, but each bad landing made a small blemish on the overall effect, so I'll only give it 8.25 or 8.0." (or whatever numerical values you would start with or adjust to)

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Thanks to labgoat and gkelly for the renarks about Liz Manley's program.

Of these, I think the performance was excellent ion criteria B, C, D, E and G, and good on criterion A.

Here is another one from the same era. This is Paul Wylie at the 1992 Olympics. American fans and commentators loved it, in part because of Wylie’s backstory as a perennial underdog “nice guy.” (He is still a nice guy.) Looking at the judges’ scores, though, there does not seem to be any national bias pro or against, compared to Viktor Petrenko who got 8 out of 9 first place ordinals, Canada dissenting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLhA7CVIok

Looking back, I think Wylie was overscored on the technical mark. In the modern judging system he should have got negative GOE or at most 0 on almost every jumping pass (+1 for the triple toe out of steps late in the program). Lovely moves in the field. The choreography and musical interpretation held together but the total effect was diminished by little lapses in technical precision. (Should this be reflected in the second mark/PCS?)
Depending on the lapses you consider most bothersome, I’d reflect them in:
SS: cleanliness
TR: quality and continuity, variety if they just didn’t execute something because of it
PE: if it reduced the “projection”
Co: if if reduced the “mood/feeling”
IN: nuance, movement in time, expressing the character/feeling/rhythm if poor execution made those things fall flat

Of the 5, watching Wiley’s I’d probably go easiest on CO, and more severely in SS and IN.