The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses. | Page 7 | Golden Skate

The Greatness of British Actors/Actresses.

Meoima

Match Penalty
He is a great actor indeed, even that The Silences of the Lambs is a bit too much for me too. :laugh: The Remains of the Day is top of my list for his works. The way he chose to portray Mr. Stevens a bit far too hard-hearted than the book made his character stand out more prominently. He is such a genius.
Hopkins is still the best Hannibal out there.

For some reasons, I can't stand the hype over the new Hannibal series. Teen girls rush over the new Hannibal because they think he'a hot. :unsure:
I can't stand the voice of that guy. He talks like he is having a sheep in his throat.

Anthony Hopkins killed that role for me. :bang:

BusyMom

Medalist
Hopkins is still the best Hannibal out there.

For some reasons, I can't stand the hype over the new Hannibal series. Teen girls rush over the new Hannibal because they think he'a hot. :unsure:
I can't stand the voice of that guy. He talks like he is having a sheep in his throat.

Anthony Hopkins killed that role for me. :bang:
I've never seen the series but I saw Hannibal Rising. The French model who played Hannibal is pretty creepy though.

A long time ago I watched HBO miniseries John Adams. It was produced by Tom Hanks if I recalled correctly.

I can't remember if Hanks produced it, but I wouldn't be surprised. He loves history and has created some great TV programs about it. I wish there were more like him working behind the scenes in television and fewer like that guy who produces all the Real Housewives programs.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think historical series/costume dramas are on the uprise, actually - at least if you compare to a few years ago. I think part of that may be the success of Downton Abbey - they've seen that it doesn't have to be set in the here and now to be successful. And the more there are - and the more different kinds there are - the more chance that... some of them will be to my liking. :) Which, let's face it, is what mainly is of concern to me. :)

It's fantasy rather than historical, but I'm looking forward to Galavant - a fairy tale musical comedy series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebCU8X34JE

BusyMom

Medalist
It's fantasy rather than historical, but I'm looking forward to Galavant - a fairy tale musical comedy series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebCU8X34JE
Vinnie Jones...OMG:love: Count me in. :love:I love all the Crazy Gangs. I though all of them should turn to acting, especially Dennis Wise.

I can't remember if Hanks produced it, but I wouldn't be surprised. He loves history and has created some great TV programs about it. I wish there were more like him working behind the scenes in television and fewer like that guy who produces all the Real Housewives programs.
Tom Hanks is a real big star in Asia. His name sales, period. HBO Asia kept promoting one of his series through out the year. I have no idea how many times they bring Band of Brothers back on screen.

If people still love reality TV, I guess it is almost impossible to avoid the Real Housewives kind of programs. History Channel is pretty successful in Asian Market at least. :bow:

Alba

Record Breaker
Kingsley can be equally convincing as a good guy and a very bad bad guy. Yet if you saw him on the street, you wouldn't pick him out as a movie star. He's undersized and not especially yummy-looking, and he doesn't look as if he has a personal trainer or a stylist. This makes me like him immediately.

I fully agree with you. Just a weak ago I was saying the same thing to my friends how Kingsley can be so good and convincing as a bad guy as much as a good guy. In the "Death and the Maiden" for example he's so brilliant.

BusyMom

Medalist
Tim Roth is another my favourite British Actor. His best work for me is The legend of 1900 and of course Rob Roy. But for some reason I'm not really like his series Lie to Me as much as I should. :think:

His latest project: United Passions , he will portrait Sepp Blatter (FIFA's President) :bang: I hope he shows us the real evil in human form. Since the movie is owned by FIFA itself, I don't think my wish would be fulfilled. :eek:hwell:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Tim Roth is another my favourite British Actor. His best work for me is The legend of 1900 and of course Rob Roy. But for some reason I'm not really like his series Lie to Me as much as I should. :think:

His latest project: United Passions , he will portrait Sepp Blatter (FIFA's President) :bang: I hope he shows us the real evil in human form. Since the movie is owned by FIFA itself, I don't think my wish would be fulfilled. :eek:hwell:

BusyMom -- IMO, Tim Roth was amazingly diabolical in Rob Roy; he made my skin crawl... :eek:

Agree w/ Meomima & Alba re: Grand Budapest Hotel -- brilliant!

BusyMom

Medalist
Caroliza I add two more of NI actors to your list. First is John Lynch who appeared in The Secret Garden and In the Name of the Father.He also played the part of George Best in the movie Best too.

Another actor(hope he's qualify for the NI actor) is Sam Neill. He is a NI-born Kiwi. Apart from Jurassic Park, I love his part in Bicentennial Man. His Event Horizon scared the life out of me. :laugh:

Sam Neill was brilliant as Brian de Bois-Guilbert in this TV production of Ivanhoe:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084157/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_99

The way he portrayed his conflicted and flawed nature. Also, some other good actors in there as well. :)

I love that Ivanhoe! Nearly all the actors are superior to the ones in the original MGM movie, though the music from the original makes it a favorite of mine. (The 1950s Ivanhoe was one of Miklos Rozsa's best scores, in my opinion.) The TV remake had Anthony Andrews as a far more committed and dimensional Ivanhoe than Robert Taylor (who tended to be rather wooden), a wonderful Rebecca in Olivia Hussey, a tremendously warm and dignified Simon in James Mason, and of course Sam Neill as Bois Guilbert. He managed to make Bois Guilbert a little sympathetic by showing that he really did love Rebecca, while Ivanhoe could never bridge the gulf caused by her religion. This was an intelligent and emotionally satisfying remake, and I'm glad to find someone who remembers it. It's available on DVD, I believe, and well worth a look, though as I say, the sound track of the original (and its beautiful costumes and production values) make it very interesting also. And Elizabeth Taylor during her most transcendentally beautiful years played Rebecca in the earlier film.

LRK

Record Breaker
I love that Ivanhoe! Nearly all the actors are superior to the ones in the original MGM movie, though the music from the original makes it a favorite of mine. (The 1950s Ivanhoe was one of Miklos Rozsa's best scores, in my opinion.) The TV remake had Anthony Andrews as a far more committed and dimensional Ivanhoe than Robert Taylor (who tended to be rather wooden), a wonderful Rebecca in Olivia Hussey, a tremendously warm and dignified Simon in James Mason, and of course Sam Neill as Bois Guilbert. He managed to make Bois Guilbert a little sympathetic by showing that he really did love Rebecca, while Ivanhoe could never bridge the gulf caused by her religion. This was an intelligent and emotionally satisfying remake, and I'm glad to find someone who remembers it. It's available on DVD, I believe, and well worth a look, though as I say, the sound track of the original (and its beautiful costumes and production values) make it very interesting also. And Elizabeth Taylor during her most transcendentally beautiful years played Rebecca in the earlier film.

I thought the movie version was... okay, but it wasn't really "Ivanhoe", if you see what I mean? And what was Rebecca doing traipsing about in boy's cothing? I just can't imagine her doing something so.... well... hoydenish. She was a very dignified young lady.:)

I do think that that exactly describes Bois-Guilbert actually. He clearly does love Rebecca. But it's also clear he's not such a nice person. To me, the line that he says (pardon that I do not recall the exact wording) "Many a law and commandment have I broken, but my word never." really encapsulates him. And I for one believed him - both in the book, and in the movie where Sam Neill delivered it beautifully. He is far, far from being a good person, but he has his own personal code, if you will, that he steers by. He is an extremely complex character, really.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
The mention of Anthony Andrews reminded me of the gorgeous 1980s UK version of Brideshead Revisited in which Andrews played Sebastian Flyte. Another incomparable British cast: not only AA but Jeremy Irons, Claire Bloom, Laurence Olivier (one of his last roles? :cry:), Diana Quick, and so many others whose names are escaping me. The musical score was fabulous as well. I couldn't watch the Brideshead that came out a few years ago -- for me this is the one and only.

I have friends who swear by that first Brideshead also. I never even tried to see the remake. By the way, Jane Asher was also in the original production, if I recall correctly.

LRK, I agree about Bois-Guilbert. He wasn't just a scenery-chewing villain. The standout character for me was Rebecca herself, because she was based on a real person and that vitality came through.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, Jane Asher was in the original Brideshead; she played Charles Ryder's vapid wife, Celia. I should go back to the references upthread re: her other roles & try to see them -- have allowed Celia to define her for me, which isn't very fair.