The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 17 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

jkun

Final Flight
I've thought about what some have said about having figure skating removed from the Olympics and I was sad at first, because it would seem like a resignation saying figure skating is not a sport. I think it is a sport, a subjective sport though, and for that reason I don't think it would be allowed at the level of the Olympics. The Olympics are about bringing nations together and figure skating, being subjective, is too subject to politiking and bringing nations apart. This does not mean figure skating is not a sport, it is, but having it at the olympic level is too dangerous, I feel.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna's SP GOE sheet

3xLnCy0.png

Adelina's SP GOE sheet

QRrqeV1.png

So Adelina got higher TES in SP than Yuna even with weaker contents. I strongly believe Yuna's SP should have scored 4~5 points higher than Adelina's, at a minimum. Plus, don't forget about the Step Sequence that the tech panel gifted Adelina with level 4 while holding Yuna back down to level 3 in both SP and FS.

But I thought that was the point of the new system. TES is a combination of what is done and how well it's accomplished.

Perhaps Sotnikova did have easier content... but she performed it to a very high standard according to the score sheet. She traded some base-value for grade of execution points... I'm not sure what the controversy is about this.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Unfortunately, the media and many viewers with no knowledge of fs will go with the explanation of Adelina "winning" bc she had 1 more triple than Yuna...

Given that there isnt a media report I have seen yet that hasnt mocked or questioned Adelina's gold medal in some way (if anyone has one I would love to see it) I doubt that will be the case. Even someone who knows nothing about skating can see a robbery. I was watching the event on small screen at the same time as a movie with my friend who never watches skating in his life, and even he laughed at the result asking how many people the Russians something I wont say (something more extreme than money, I will leave it at that) did something for to get that.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
But I thought that was the point of the new system. TES is a combination of what is done and how well it's accomplished.

Perhaps Sotnikova did have easier content... but she performed it to a very high standard according to the score sheet. She traded some base-value for grade of execution points... I'm not sure what the controversy is about this.

The controversy is that the score sheet was very, very generous.

usethis2

Medalist
Yet the tech panel gave higher levels to Adelina so that she can score higher total. How wonderful is that?

Actually this Olympic competition was the greatest competition ever I've seen on live, and I was overly impressed with their performances and I won't forget in my life. Kim, Kostner, Asada, and many other figure skaters just did splendid job and also the new Olympic champion Sotnikova was gorgeous, though I thought Kim or Kostner would deserve a gold medal, just my opinion. It seems like many people may feel disappointed because their favorite stars failed to get a gold medal like I got disappointed and suspicious of the judging conspiracy while the program was going on. I am not sure whether the judging conspiracy have just really happened or not, but the score won't get changed even if people complain on it. Score is score, but how human being can judge the arts by their own standard? Seriously. Anyway, as one of figure skating fans, I got satisfied and feel glad that many skaters showed great performances in Olympic and I really don't want to care about score anymore.

Were you there in the arena? Lucky you! I agree, quarrels about the judging aside, what a show!

Welcome to Golden Skate! Thanks for posting. :yes:

Gee

Rinkside
I'm pretty sure after Julia fell, the judges had to overscore Adelina to keep Russia's medal hopes alive.
After the horrific and dismal failure of the Russian hockey team, they had to rejuvenate the nation with a gold medal - handing the gold medal in the marquee event of the Olympics to a Russian girl definitely offsets the failure of the hockey team.

I cannot believe people who are surprised at the result. I saw the crowning of a Russian women ever since the team event. It was inevitable.

We are in Russia folks. If Putin wants a gold medal in women's FS, then there will be a gold medal in women's FS.

I've thought about what some have said about having figure skating removed from the Olympics and I was sad at first, because it would seem like a resignation saying figure skating is not a sport. I think it is a sport, a subjective sport though, and for that reason I don't think it would be allowed at the level of the Olympics. The Olympics are about bringing nations together and figure skating, being subjective, is too subject to politiking and bringing nations apart. This does not mean figure skating is not a sport, it is, but having it at the olympic level is too dangerous, I feel.

The thing is, the IOC keeps adding sports which have subjectivity to them. For instance some of the new skiing and snowboarding sports have subjective components. And gymnastics certainly has its fair share of similar subjectivity issues. I think that sports like these are fine to have in the Olympics (too be honest they draw in big audiences), but the IOC is going to have to find better ways of keeping politicking/cheating/etc. under control.
Maybe if they enforced stricter policies that wouldn't allow a country to participate in the next Olympic's of that season or perhaps make them pay a fee for their dishonesty.... I really have no idea if either are feasible, but they may make individuals and/or countries think twice....

ginal

Rinkside
No anonymous judging and highest judge score and lowest judge score should not be counted. That's how it works in many other judged sports, they drop lowest and highest scores. Both russians were held up. Julia looks like a little girl and skates like one too. Stop the insanity!!

jehan215

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure after Julia fell, the judges had to overscore Adelina to keep Russia's medal hopes alive.
After the horrific and dismal failure of the Russian hockey team, they had to rejuvenate the nation with a gold medal - handing the gold medal in the marquee event of the Olympics to a Russian girl definitely offsets the failure of the hockey team.

I cannot believe people who are surprised at the result. I saw the crowning of a Russian women ever since the team event. It was inevitable.

We are in Russia folks. If Putin wants a gold medal in women's FS, then there will be a gold medal in women's FS.

Yup he wanted to stage his own Sports Day for his nation, and he needed some extras on set.

Ven

Match Penalty
Wow 100,000 signatures on the petition now. Eventually this gets into the millions the IOC and/or ISU will have to do an investigation like 2002.

Kissx3

Final Flight
5 judges gave +2/+3 GOEs for EVERYTHING that Adelina did in SP. I'll let that sink for a minute.

Sotnikova is fully 5 points better in placeholder component scores than Mao Asada giving one of the performances of her career. Soak in that as well.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wow 100,000 signatures on the petition now. Eventually this gets into the millions the IOC and/or ISU will have to do an investigation like 2002.

and if they did hopefully they get the message by people boycotting watching next seasons skating competitions. Bankruptcy has a way of sending a signal. I watched the event today with a couple of people who had never watched skating before (we were watching a movie at the same time so we werent even that into it) and they vowed it was the last time they would ever watch it again. Meanwhile I know several friends who are bigger diehards than I am who say it will be a long time before they watch another skating competition as well.

No anonymous judging and highest judge score and lowest judge score should not be counted. That's how it works in many other judged sports, they drop lowest and highest scores. Both russians were held up. Julia looks like a little girl and skates like one too. Stop the insanity!!

They do drop the highest and lowest scores. The anonymous judging thing is on the agenda for the next ISU council meeting, and will probably be done away with.

Ven

Match Penalty
and if they did hopefully they get the message by people boycotting watching next seasons skating competitions. Bankruptcy has a way of sending a signal. I watched the event today with a couple of people who had never watched skating before (we were watching a movie at the same time so we werent even that into it) and they vowed it was the last time they would ever watch it again. Meanwhile I know several friends who are bigger diehards than I am who say it will be a long time before they watch another skating competition as well.

People shrug off home scoring for the Russians, as if it's expected. First of all, the judging should be fair, no exceptions. Second, even if there's a "benefit of the doubt", that's not what we're talking about here. Sotnikova was given nearly world record scores for a flawed program. Her program was easier than Yuna's 2010, didn't have the spiral sequence, didn't match the music, and she botched a jump...and she still scored decimal points from Yuna's flawless WR performance.

Even Julia scored 135 despite all of the mistakes in her LP...135!