The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 16 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Sssshhhh. Adelina won the LP because she had the most triples. ;)

Unfortunately, the media and many viewers with no knowledge of fs will go with the explanation of Adelina "winning" bc she had 1 more triple than Yuna...

Kissx3

Final Flight
Unfortunately, the media and many viewers with no knowledge of fs will go with the explanation of Adelina "winning" bc she had 1 more triple than Yuna...

That's the explanation most are running with. Higher tech. Not a peep about the second mark because hey, if the judges themselves don't understand it beyond using it as a placeholder, how is the media supposed to make sense of it?

ericsfo

Spectator
Although I'm not a big fan of figure skating, I am a fan of the winter olympics and end up watching lots of figure skating every 4 years.

As a "casual fan", I really can't judge skating in an objective way, so can't really argue for or against the fairness of judging in a technical sense. However, I would argue that many sports violate the sense of "fairness" for the greater good of the sport. For example, most sports need the concept of a "home field advantage". The fact that most teams do a lot better on their home court helps with attendance and popularization of the sport, which translates into more $$$ coming into the sport. Officials do tend to make more calls in favor of the home team in many sports. Objectively speaking, this is unfair, but for the greater good of the sport, it's accepted.

For the VM vs. DW controversy in ice dancing, it seems to me that the sport is better served with new blood on the podium every 4 years. Davis and White winning gold seems much better for the sport of ice dancing than a second gold for Moir and Virtue. The U.S. is the largest commercial market and figure skating's popularity here is probably marginal at best, and figure skating as a sport will certainly benefit from the DW win. Yuna Kim has singlehandedly popularized figure skating in Korea since her OGM. Adelina winning the gold in Russia is obviously going to be great for the sport of figure skating and makes a bigger overall impact than a Yuna repeat. It's also great that the "home team" has something to cheer about and this benefits the olympics as a whole.

Most established sports have a commissioner whose job it is to popularize the sport. It seems to me that rules are often bent in ways that are meant to popularize the sport and sometimes these do go against the sense of fairness. I have no idea if there's a real conspiracy going on and I have no idea how skating as a sport is promoted, but if I were the commissioner of the sport, I would certainly make sure the judges were aware of factors that would benefit the sport.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I must say that I will not sign the petition.
It been several year that the judges boost skaters they want by the PCS, nothing have change in this sport since 2002, except that a this Olympic they have manipulate the system to far and that's the result of theses random mark for the skaters.
Funny how a same program in another competition can value 10 points less than the Olympic :rolleye:

I have begin to reject that sport since the controversy of Mirai Nagasu/Ashley Wagner, the sport is so beautiful but all the political injustices in this sport make the sport ugly besides the corruption coaches random wages, etc.. I'm speechless of all of this!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Quick question: What happened to judges leaving room for later skaters?

There's no way humanly possible that Yuna could have matched Adelina's score, a flawed skate that is mere points away from Yuna's WR in Vancouver. Yuna wasn't competing against her past performances...she was competing against Carolina and Adelina. Even if the Russian had more energy, the inflated scoring was ridiculous.

Leaving room? This isn't 6.0.

stevlin

On the Ice
My favorite skater tonight was Carolina Kostner. She was beautiful in her skating. Lovely to watch as she floated over the ice. "Bolero" was perfect for her. I did not care for Yuna's music. I wanted her to skate to something pretty. Well, on to Worlds.

carmenta

Spectator
Actually this Olympic competition was the greatest competition ever I've seen on live, and I was overly impressed with their performances and I won't forget in my life. Kim, Kostner, Asada, and many other figure skaters just did splendid job and also the new Olympic champion Sotnikova was gorgeous, though I thought Kim or Kostner would deserve a gold medal, just my opinion. It seems like many people may feel disappointed because their favorite stars failed to get a gold medal like I got disappointed and suspicious of the judging conspiracy while the program was going on. I am not sure whether the judging conspiracy have just really happened or not, but the score won't get changed even if people complain on it. Score is score, but how human being can judge the arts by their own standard? Seriously. Anyway, as one of figure skating fans, I got satisfied and feel glad that many skaters showed great performances in Olympic and I really don't want to care about score anymore.

starrynight

On the Ice

Well, why did they skip an explanation on Adelina's two-footed TRIPLE combo, which scored very close to Yuna's double combo?

Ven

Match Penalty
The petition is over 65,000 signatures now. Did not even show on tv here in the U.S. yet.

After it shows on tv here, I will share on social media too.

usethis2

Medalist
Yuna's SP GOE sheet

3xLnCy0.png

Adelina's SP GOE sheet

QRrqeV1.png

5 judges gave +2/+3 GOE for EVERYTHING that Adelina did in SP. I'll let that sink for a minute.

So Adelina got higher TES in SP than Yuna even with weaker contents. I strongly believe Yuna's SP should have scored 4~5 points higher than Adelina's, at a minimum. Plus, don't forget about the Step Sequence that the tech panel gifted Adelina with level 4 while holding Yuna back down to level 3 in both SP and FS.

starrynight

On the Ice
Sounds like a Queen Yuna megafan...

Yuna surpassed Sotnikova on the component mark. It was about the 6 triples to Sotnikova's 7 triples. Yuna lost the gold by about 4 points...one more triple, and the gold is hers. Her lack of a triple loop jump really cost her here...

Again, Adelina faltered and two-footed her TRIPLE combo, which scored not much better than Yuna's clean dobule combo. You know, a double combo gets a higher point than a triple. According to your rationale, Mao who prouldy carries 8 tirple ammunitions should have beaten Adelina down to the ground in the FS.