The latest on Gracie Gold | Page 67 | Golden Skate

The latest on Gracie Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandiceskater

Spectator
Very often easy solutions are the most effective ones ...

What like changing to a more established "iconic" coach before the Olympics to get to to the next level and fix her inconsistency?

They may seem effective but they are almost always bandaid solutions because they don't address the root of the problem, espeacially when it is psychological. Unfortunately, peoples ways of experiencing the world and processing those experiences in their brains aren't black and white. In fact, thinking they are is often what leads to the most damage.

Not to be that person, but I am a skater under the usfsa system and think i know what im talking about. I have suffered anxiety and depression that I tried to "grow up" and suppress and ignore and I ended up with a nasty meltdown just like gracie, and what got me out of it was nothing easy, I can assure you that. It is a long and difficult process, but it makes the strongest people in the end.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I keep reading this thread thinking of all the times posters here have called Kovtun a spoiled brat, and much worse. Nobody defends him. He's the same age as Gracie. And for all his bad performances you never see anyone showing concern for his well-being, just mockery. Nobody is wringing their hands over other skaters who never fulfilled their potential, apart from a few devoted people in their fan threads. She's not the first skater to go through hard times. If people want to be empathetic toward Gracie, there's nothing wrong with that at all, but it's not something that can be demanded from everyone else. I just wonder why she is given this kind of special treatment and others never are. It's like this forum is turning into "Graciegoldskate.com" with all the never-ending discussion and drama.

I've expressed how baffled I was at the negative attitude toward Kovtun though I'm not very involved and knowledgeable about him.

I tend to be forgiving toward young talented people who have worked harder than most people to have achieved greater success than most people of any age and who face tremendous pressures than most could imagine. I don't expect them to be perfect, or polite/slick at all times, and to not have moments/periods of weakness, and to never express their frustrations and stress. I extend the understanding to ordinary young people, which we all were at one time, or still are. Thus, in this forum, I often defend the skaters whether or not I'm an ardent fan of theirs. In the case of Gracie, I only became involved in this discussion when the original title/topic interested me.

But I expect more from older, supposedly wiser, professional people in positions of authority and in nurturing role to the young.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I appreciate this post because it is critical of Gracie without passing negative judgment about her as a person.

ETA: BUT it's pretty hard to zip it when you're surrounded by media at a competition. Let's not blame skaters for talking about themselves when they are asked questions about themselves ;).

This leads straight to my point. I don't understand why Gracie doesn't just tell people that she's done talking to them about the same subject over and over again. I guess what I mean when I say "Zip It" is that I want Gracie to tell Reporters to stop asking the same question over and over. IMO, All she needs to say is that this wasn't her greatest season and that she'll be in the rink training and that's it!! She doesn't need to justify her life or her decisions to anyone. Clearly things haven't been going well behind the scene's which explains her split from Frank. I have worked with many different directors and coaches over the years and there is always more to the story than what meets the eye.

Look at a Coach like Robin Wagner. She was spectacular for Sarah and though Sasha did well with Robin, She and Sasha did not stay together very long and she went back to John Nicks for the Olympics and the end of her career. Sasha also skated under Tarasova, and Raf, so I don't think it's that big of a deal for Gracie to make this change. Didn't Michelle Kwan have 3 Coaches? Frank, Scott, and Raf? 4, if you count her father. Gracie felt she needed a change and now she going to get one. The time is now to make her decision count.

bobbob

Medalist
I think Gracie should figure things out herself physically and mentally before rushing to find a new coach.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I keep reading this thread thinking of all the times posters here have called Kovtun a spoiled brat, and much worse. Nobody defends him. He's the same age as Gracie. And for all his bad performances you never see anyone showing concern for his well-being, just mockery. Nobody is wringing their hands over other skaters who never fulfilled their potential, apart from a few devoted people in their fan threads. She's not the first skater to go through hard times. If people want to be empathetic toward Gracie, there's nothing wrong with that at all, but it's not something that can be demanded from everyone else. I just wonder why she is given this kind of special treatment and others never are. It's like this forum is turning into "Graciegoldskate.com" with all the never-ending discussion and drama.

FWIW, I never liked to bad mouth Kovtun either. I feel like there were a few vocal folks, but I don't think they speak for the majority.

As someone who is in a semi-public job, I can sympathize with the challenges of having your mistakes broadcasted to everyone. In my case, my mistakes aren't as high stakes, but I definitely get plenty of hurtful comments from the peanut gallery. So my philosophy (and I am not asking everyone to follow this, just my take) that if I can't post/writing something that I wouldn't say to their face, I don't write it.

Eislauf

On the Ice
i think he wanted to beat her to the punch after seeing her free skate because that was very embarrassing and shocking to witness. He didn't want to be blamed for Gracie faltering and because he didn't have a good relationship with her, he decided to tell the press "she's in a deep, deep depression", to shift the blame away from him.

Great point. Frank has his own coaching reputation to uphold and may have believed that Gracie's skating has been making him 'look bad'.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Gracie should figure things out herself physically and mentally before rushing to find a new coach.

I agree, and now that Gracie has no further competitive events, this is the perfect time for her to reflect on her life and career. She's so talented that she may ask one of her former friends and skaters to help her and that might be enough. Joshua Farris may be retired but, he was one of the most talented skaters ever...Maybe she could give him a call. I think Christy Krall and Joshua's former Choreographer could do wonders for Gracie. With Joshua as a mentor, I think they could give Gracie a real boost of confidence. It's really difficult when we don't know what's going on in her head to offer her any advice. Hopefully, it's enough for her to know that she still has legions of fans who still care.

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
What like changing to a more established "iconic" coach before the Olympics to get to to the next level and fix her inconsistency?

They may seem effective but they are almost always bandaid solutions because they don't address the root of the problem, espeacially when it is psychological.

The only help the world can offer to Gracie is strictly skating related. Everything else, most importantly - her mindset, must be solved by Gracie alone. Only by her. If she cannot do it then nobody else can do it either, and it means a sad end of her career.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frank HAD told Gracie about the split before announcing it publicly, and that probably was why Gracie threw the jacket at him and yelled. It had to be another blow after her poor performance at Nationals and being left off the World team. She was not expecting him to take the jacket, throw it in the trash, and then make a public announcement of the split while commenting on her mental state.

She later said she was shocked that he went public with it without her---she had expected that they would make a joint announcement after all the details were worked out.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well i don't remember when Pogo started to compare herself to other skaters (who won much more titles than her) and saying that she is the best.

I find it not just bad but destructive that immature posters want to beat Gracie when she is so clearly unwell. She is severely depressed. We could see this at her first competition- the pallor the sheer fear she was not going to compete up to her standards. Frank and Wagner last year said Gracie feeels totally worthless because she is a perfectionist when she does not perform. Several threads are bashing a girl who is now mentally very unwell and has been dumped by her coach.

One certainly sees the immaturity and compassion level of various posters. Sadly part of Gracie's problem is that she likely reads what the internet has to say about her. I think the mods should stop this not just because she is a great American skater and champion but because her coach has told us she is so deeply depressed that nothing he says even gets through to her. Need I remind anyone that depressed people sometimes suicide? He said deepl x three depressed and he cannot cope with the lack of results after pouring all his energy into her. She should be at the therapists office twice a week I hope.

Where were Gracie's parents when Sabinfire saw her out eating alone? Where was Carly Gold? The minute I saw Gracie's face at the beginning of the season I knew that things were bad. She was terrified. And I know she wants to compete but maybe she does not have that ability to compete and accept she did her best. Perhaps all the posters that called her a head case should wonder if their online behavior has added to her misery and self doubt.

She deserves all our support. She is not okay and trying to send this girl off to the next coach given what we know now is stupid talk. She is a person not just a skater. I am shocked at the bashing over a stupid jacket and the fact she is trying to give herself positive talk. That is construed as arrogant. My how some people love to see their idols crash and burn. Shame shame.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
ChuckM - how do you know Frank told her about the split before she skated. That seems, in and of itself, a very defeating act. I hadn't heard that so was wondering?????

lyndichee

Medalist
Frank HAD told Gracie about the split before announcing it publicly, and that probably was why Gracie threw the jacket at him and yelled. It had to be another blow after her poor performance at Nationals and being left off the World team. She was not expecting him to take the jacket, throw it in the trash, and then make a public announcement of the split while commenting on her mental state.

She later said she was shocked that he went public with it without her---she had expected that they would make a joint announcement after all the details were worked out.

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/823295765346942977

According to her text message to Phil Hersh, he didn't inform her of his decision.

The only help the world can offer to Gracie is strictly skating related. Everything else, most importantly - her mindset, must be solved by Gracie alone. Only by her. If she cannot do it then nobody else can do it either, and it means a sad end of her career.

She can seek professional counselling to help her mental state that is unwell.

I just really hope Gracie takes a long break from the public eye and figures out what is best for herself.

Manitou

Medalist
I find it not just ad but destructive that immature posters want to beat Gracie when she is so clearly unwell. She is severely depressed. We could se this at her first competition- the pallor the sheer fear she was note going to compete up to her standards. Frank and Wagner last year said Gracie feeels totally worthless because she is a perfectionist when she does not perform. Several threads are bashing a girl who is now mentally very unwell and has been dumped by her coach.

One certainly sees the maturity and. Compassion level of various posters. Sadly part of Gracie's problem is that she likely reads what the internet has to say about her. I think the mods should stop this not just because she is a great American skater and champion but because her coach has told us she is so deeply depressed that nothing her says even gets through to her. Need I remind anyone depressed people sometimes suicide.

Where were Gracie's parents when Sabinfire saw her out eating alone? Where was Carly Gold? The minute I saw Gracie's face at the beginning of the season I knew that things were bad. She was terrified. And I know she wants to compete but maybe she does not have that ability to compete and accept she did her best. Perhaps all the posters that called her a head case should wonder if their online behavior has added to her misery and self doubt.

She deserves all our support. She is not okay and trying to send this girl of to the next coach given what we know now is stupid talk. She is a person not just a skater. I am shocked at the bashing over a stupid jacket and the fact she is trying to give herself positive talk. That is construed as arrogant. My how some people love to see their idols crash and burn. Shame shame.

OK, a really good post. But does it mean the forum is a support group now and any critical post must be cut? Does it mean that opinions like "Gracie must grow up", "She is an adult and must be hold accountable" or "she should show respect" are censored? Does everything must be overly sugar coated now? Just because Gracie herself can potentially read it?
She is a celebrity and an athlete with Olympic aspirations. Doesn't it comes with a price?

pjskater

Rinkside
I find it not just bad but destructive that immature posters want to beat Gracie when she is so clearly unwell. She is severely depressed. We could see this at her first competition- the pallor the sheer fear she was not going to compete up to her standards. Frank and Wagner last year said Gracie feeels totally worthless because she is a perfectionist when she does not perform. Several threads are bashing a girl who is now mentally very unwell and has been dumped by her coach.

One certainly sees the immaturity and compassion level of various posters. Sadly part of Gracie's problem is that she likely reads what the internet has to say about her. I think the mods should stop this not just because she is a great American skater and champion but because her coach has told us she is so deeply depressed that nothing he says even gets through to her. Need I remind anyone that depressed people sometimes suicide? He said deepl x three depressed and he cannot cope with the lack of results after pouring all his energy into her. She should be at the therapists office twice a week I hope.

She deserves all our support. She is not okay and trying to send this girl off to the next coach given what we know now is stupid talk. She is a person not just a skater. I am shocked at the bashing over a stupid jacket and the fact she is trying to give herself positive talk. That is construed as arrogant. My how some people love to see their idols crash and burn. Shame shame.

Yes, this is so well stated. I had just asked the mods to take down this thread for exactly what you expressed so well. I hope they do.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The difference between people calling Kovtun a brat and people calling Gracie a brat boils down to: Kovtun has always been a brat. He's always run his mouth. He's always made no secret of his disrespect for his fellow competitors, for the fans, for even extremely distinguished coaches (remember, he rejected Mishin's jump suggestions because he claimed to know better).

For Gracie, it has become increasingly obvious that something has been going on over the last year, but as far as I know, she hasn't really been a "brat". However her public comments have become increasingly alarming windows into her potential mental state.

Manitou

Medalist
Yes, this is so well stated. I had just asked the mods to take down this thread for exactly what you expressed so well. I hope they do.

If she doesn't read it here she will read it elsewhere. The internet is really big. And by doing so this forum will lose its purpose of being a platform for discussing opinions.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You can't really censor opinions. We know the internet is a very cruel place filled with people who can't take an ounce but can dish out a ton regularly. Public personalities know this and someone in a fragile mental state should know better to avoid reading public opinions except in a safe supportive place such as the Fan Fest.

pjskater

Rinkside
If she doesn't read it here she will read it elsewhere. The internet is really big. And by doing so this forum will lose its purpose of being a platform for discussing opinions.
But that's not what is going on with some exceptions. It's bashing, name calling, and shaming which is against the policies here.
In the meantime I have blocked the abusive users for my own well being but sadly she can't do that.

lyndichee

Medalist

There is a distinct difference between "I think she could have reacted better to the situation." versus "Quit the sport" or "Special snowflake" or "Snowflake syndrome" or "There is something in western culture...treated like delicate babies".

Why can't we work to reduce the amount of negative comments directed towards skaters? Just because they appear on other places, doesn't give anyone the okay to keep doing something clearly wrong.

I think the forum should give a suggestion to posters, don't post your opinion unless you are willing to say it in an adult conversation in front of a skater. Be respectful.

pjskater

Rinkside
Until this thread is removed I will post many positive posts so hang onto your hats or block me if you can't handle the kindness for a change....

Gracie is talented, lovely, and kind. She skates across the ice with athletic finesse and beauty. Go Gracie! You are loved and supported!!

Status
Not open for further replies.