The latest on Gracie Gold | Page 68 | Golden Skate

The latest on Gracie Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
To me, it sounds like you are trying to say that Liza has a good excuse for having lackluster seasons after winning Worlds.

It's not an excuse, Liza was clearly in rough shape after winning 2015 worlds, same as Mao Asada after winning Worlds 2010 or Miki Ando after winning 2007 Worlds... it happens, but this is not Gracie's situation.

I find it not just bad but destructive that immature posters want to beat Gracie when she is so clearly unwell. She is severely depressed. We could see this at her first competition- the pallor the sheer fear she was not going to compete up to her standards. Frank and Wagner last year said Gracie feeels totally worthless because she is a perfectionist when she does not perform. Several threads are bashing a girl who is now mentally very unwell and has been dumped by her coach.

One certainly sees the immaturity and compassion level of various posters. Sadly part of Gracie's problem is that she likely reads what the internet has to say about her. I think the mods should stop this not just because she is a great American skater and champion but because her coach has told us she is so deeply depressed that nothing he says even gets through to her. Need I remind anyone that depressed people sometimes suicide? He said deepl x three depressed and he cannot cope with the lack of results after pouring all his energy into her. She should be at the therapists office twice a week I hope.

Where were Gracie's parents when Sabinfire saw her out eating alone? Where was Carly Gold? The minute I saw Gracie's face at the beginning of the season I knew that things were bad. She was terrified. And I know she wants to compete but maybe she does not have that ability to compete and accept she did her best. Perhaps all the posters that called her a head case should wonder if their online behavior has added to her misery and self doubt.

She deserves all our support. She is not okay and trying to send this girl off to the next coach given what we know now is stupid talk. She is a person not just a skater. I am shocked at the bashing over a stupid jacket and the fact she is trying to give herself positive talk. That is construed as arrogant. My how some people love to see their idols crash and burn. Shame shame.

But even Gracie is showing a bit of immaturity at these interviews.

Look i'm not saying she cannot have a season where she wins everything, she has that quality, it's totally possible. But let it happens before saying "anyone has ups and downs", let's see her up moments!

Sometimes even being over-positive, or thinking too much about those stuffs is not good either.

Last edited:

pjskater

Rinkside
Last year at nationals Gracie skated her heart out and won the gold medal, it was an amazing performance that I will never forget. I hope Gracie remembers that performance.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree with mrrice that at some point Gracie will have to just not answer the same question over and over. It's been 2 days since the announcement, but at some point she needs to adopt the (cliché, I know) "I can't look back, I can only look forward" reply and just refuse to keep talking about her bad season! I'm sure whenever a decision is made regarding her future, they will make some kind of announcement. But at some point, she needs to put a positive spin on things so things just don't deteriorate into what sounds like a pity party.

My heart goes out to this talented young lady. I know I've already posted this photo, but I want to post it again! https://pic.twitter.com/RVDot4l1jP

Manitou

Medalist
I think the forum should give a suggestion to posters, don't post your opinion unless you are willing to say it in an adult conversation in front of a skater. Be respectful.

True. We can think what we think, but your quoted text appears to be a good guideline.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just wonder who are the other top skaters Frank is currently coaching. Does Denis Ten has a good relationship with him?

beki

Medalist
Yes, this is so well stated. I had just asked the mods to take down this thread for exactly what you expressed so well. I hope they do.

I understand closing the thread on a discussion that is going in circles, but I wouldn't like to see it removed. It is a shame when the tone turns nasty, but I don't believe in erasing conversations where there is disagreement or strong feeling.

beki

Medalist
Just wonder who are the other top skaters Frank is currently coaching. Does Denis Ten has a good relationship with him?

It seems like it at least. They met up recently for a glass of wine. In my opinion, Denis is winding down his career. He's spoken about looking for motivation to continue after his bronze in Sochi, and ultimately decided his purpose was to popularize skating in Kazakhstan. He may prefer to be closer to home. He was in his peak form under Frank 2013-2015.

That said, Denis is consistently inconsistent, so he may pull out another great performance and I'd be happy to see it.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
It's not an excuse, Liza was clearly in rough shape after winning 2015 worlds, same as Mao Asada after winning Worlds 2010 or Miki Ando after winning 2007 Worlds... it happens, but this is not Gracie's situation.

But even Gracie is showing a bit of immaturity at these interviews.

Look i'm not saying she cannot have a season where she wins everything, she has that quality, it's totally possible. But let it happens before saying "anyone has ups and downs", let's see her up moments!

Sometimes even being over-positive, or thinking too much about those stuffs is not good either.

So you expect elite athletes to just stop saying positive things about themselves to the media? Should I tell my boss I'm bad at my job? (Not that I am lol).

Also, if winning Worlds or a World or Olympic medal is the only way an athlete can be positive about themselves, that's an unfairly high bar. You're asking someone who already seems very depressed and insecure to wallow more. Its not right.

Gracie could've refused to speak for the press, and the same people would be calling her a brat, or arrogant, or to get over it and do an interview. She could've wallowed publicly, talked crap on her skating, and the same people would probably say "oh well with that attitude no one wonder she is a loser."

If you don't like Gracie's skating that's fair. If you don't like Gracie as a person - well, way to judge someone you've never met. I think many of you just want a reason to dislike her, and it's no better than when people say nasty things about how Evgenia reacts to her performances or how she acts in the K&C. It's mean and spiteful. Criticizing skating is one thing, and criticizing someone as a person based on one interview or one outburst is a whole other.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I agree with pjskater!

Gracie is a beautiful skater, in 2013 and 2014 her excitement after her performaces was infectious! She's always been a powerful athlete, a gracious competitor and a kind person. I will never forget nationals 2016 and the amazing perfomance she put out under pressure there! Watching worlds 2016 was something awesome as well, her short program was powerful, and well deserving of first place!

I have enjoyed watching her exhibition performaces as well! I look forward to meeting her at Stars on Ice this year and delivering The Encouragement Project book to her there!

pjskater

Rinkside
I understand closing the thread on a discussion that is going in circles, but I wouldn't like to see it removed. It is a shame when the tone turns nasty, but I don't believe in erasing conversations where there is disagreement or strong feeling.

I wouldn't worry, they will probably not take it down but I disagree because of the nature of the attacks against her. I for one will be leaving as this has sadly opened my eyes to something I didn't even know was out there, such hate for a talented athlete who I loved to watch. But I'm not going till I post many more positive Gracie posts to balance out the hate đź’Ş

pjskater

Rinkside
She has always been kind to her fans taking the time to sign autographs, even if it hasn't been her day. She responds to reporter questions when I know I would not be so kind. What an amazing young woman who has worked hard to get where she is. Go Gracie!!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
So you expect elite athletes to just stop saying positive things about themselves to the media? Should I tell my boss I'm bad at my job? (Not that I am lol).

Also, if winning Worlds or a World or Olympic medal is the only way an athlete can be positive about themselves, that's an unfairly high bar. You're asking someone who already seems very depressed and insecure to wallow more. Its not right.

Gracie could've refused to speak for the press, and the same people would be calling her a brat, or arrogant, or to get over it and do an interview. She could've wallowed publicly, talked crap on her skating, and the same people would probably say "oh well with that attitude no one wonder she is a loser."

If you don't like Gracie's skating that's fair. If you don't like Gracie as a person - well, way to judge someone you've never met. I think many of you just want a reason to dislike her, and it's no better than when people say nasty things about how Evgenia reacts to her performances or how she acts in the K&C. It's mean and spiteful. Criticizing skating is one thing, and criticizing someone as a person based on one interview or one outburst is a whole other.

This is not what i'm saying, you're changing completely the meaning of my posts.

Speak for yourself: "Liza won everything for one season and then NOTHING" -> i don't think it's good comparing in that way pretending you are that much better than her, or pretending you are like her, even though you are not really, and this is not just about who won what.

"I think i would be a very wise pick for the world team" no you are not at the moment!

Frankly, i would not even care about that statement except since she moved to Frank, everyone in the US started to look at her as the potential best ever female skater, and even when everything goes wrong, the next season is still "Gracie's season", and as a fan of the old Gracie (the skater she was before that coaching change) it's very frustrating.

that "over-positive" is referred to the media and her fans: every season there are high expectations on her, and if she bombs it then it's all about "poor Gracie, she is depressed, leave her alone!!"

She needs the underdog moment, but to be an underdog the eyes of the US fans of figure skating should move to someone else, and this is the time to WORK seriously (with the off-season training that she ditched), let Ashley or Karen have their moment for once.

Last edited:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
What I think is remarkable about Gracie is that she's not a quitter.

It was unwise to continue to compete when she hadn't trained sufficiently. She could have used that time to ramp up her training, including spending more time in Chicago with her old coach.

Her initial mistake was waiting too long to train. Then she compounded that error by not working with Frank to minimize the impact of it.

Contrast that with the way Ashley and Raf strategize to get the best possible results, despite Ashley's technical limitations.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It seems like it at least. They met up recently for a glass of wine. In my opinion, Denis is winding down his career. He's spoken about looking for motivation to continue after his bronze in Sochi, and ultimately decided his purpose was to popularize skating in Kazakhstan. He may prefer to be closer to home. He was in his peak form under Frank 2013-2015.

That said, Denis is consistently inconsistent, so he may pull out another great performance and I'd be happy to see it.

At TDF he skated beautifully and he said after the free skate that he's very happy to be still considered as a contender.

The programs are Morozov's style: love it or hate it but this style suits him well.

I don't know, Nikolai Morozov has an history of successes at the Olympics with his underdog skaters, and Denis is actually one of those skaters who could have a terrible season but still doing well at these major competitons, also he wants to skate well in Korea because of his descendency.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wouldn't worry, they will probably not take it down but I disagree because of the nature of the attacks against her. I for one will be leaving as this has sadly opened my eyes to something I didn't even know was out there, such hate for a talented athlete who I loved to watch. But I'm not going till I post many more positive Gracie posts to balance out the hate đź’Ş

I see no evidence of "hate" in this thread. I do see comments that reflect some disappointment and concern regarding actions by Gracie, both on and off the ice (as well as the actions of both Frank and various reporters). At the same time, there have been quite a few expressions of support for her, and well wishes for the future.

The only suggestion I have for this thread is that it be combined with the thread titled "The latest on Gracie Gold"; seems unnecessary to have 2 that are so similar.

It should be noted that this is the area of the forum for discussions of skating, both positive and negative. If you wish 100% positive comments, perhaps visit the Fan Fest area?

Figure 8's

On the Ice
She has always been kind to her fans taking the time to sign autographs, even if it hasn't been her day. She responds to reporter questions when I know I would not be so kind. What an amazing young woman who has worked hard to get where she is. Go Gracie!!

Excellent Post and well said!!!!

pjskater

Rinkside
I see no evidence of "hate" in this thread. I do see comments that reflect some disappointment and concern regarding actions by Gracie, both on and off the ice (as well as the actions of both Frank and various reporters). At the same time, there have been quite a few expressions of support for her, and well wishes for the future.

The only suggestion I have for this thread is that it be combined with the thread titled "The latest on Gracie Gold"; seems unnecessary to have 2 that are so similar.

It should be noted that this is the area of the forum for discussions of skating, both positive and negative. If you wish 100% positive comments, perhaps visit the Fan Fest area?

Think you need to reread. Calling someone a brat, etc isn't showing concern. And isn't discussing skating. There have been support posts also which I did state. But again bashing the skater as a person is stated as against the guidelines but more importantly it's cruel and hurtful to a young person who is going through something difficult in her life. That's not okay and a forum that supports that is wrong.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agree with mrrice that at some point Gracie will have to just not answer the same question over and over. It's been 2 days since the announcement, but at some point she needs to adopt the (cliché, I know) "I can't look back, I can only look forward" reply and just refuse to keep talking about her bad season! I'm sure whenever a decision is made regarding her future, they will make some kind of announcement. But at some point, she needs to put a positive spin on things so things just don't deteriorate into what sounds like a pity party.

My heart goes out to this talented young lady. I know I've already posted this photo, but I want to post it again! https://pic.twitter.com/RVDot4l1jP

I've noticed that without makeup Gracie looks so much younger! In fact, I often think she is younger in many ways than many 21 year olds. Many people by that age have been out of the house since they were 18 and in college living in a dorm or apartment with possibly a part-time or even full-time job, or if not in school working full time and living in an apartment or even possibly a young married person with maybe even a child. Maybe this is Gracie's time to grown up and spread her wings and find her way, whether it be to continue with skating or finding something else to do with her life. All I know is that I admire her greatly and will continue to follow her career with the hopes that she can continue skating as long she wants.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where is the Zhenya thread to counter the Gracie overload we are experiencing :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.