The moment you started liking a skater | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The moment you started liking a skater

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
How could I forget, Maia and Alex Shibutani made me love not only them with their "O" exhibition, but this is the program that made me follow ice dance in general.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
As for Zhenya at Eurovision, I liked the novelty of it at the time. But re-watching it there now, I was embarrassed for him. Yes, having three grown men in that small area meant there was no space for him to do what we know he was capable of. But, all the arm waving and smiling that he had to resort to was cringeworthy.

Yeah, looking back now, when I actually know something about figure skating, this "program" does him no justice. But then again, those were the circumstances and for 2006 me, who was all kinds of teenager, this was enough to make me more interested in figure skating. It's the small things sometimes. I was just as impressed by him just turning on the ice a little bit as I probably would've been by a quad toe. :laugh:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Was it the IceTalk one? That was a particularly good interview. And in person he is the sweetest, loveliest human being ever.

Yes I believe that was the one! The one in which he talks about his Turandot program and he believed it was a good program for him, and the costume issues!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seeing Sean Rabbitt for the first time @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA - 7/2010 - His Michael Jackson SP was so entertaining! I also loved his free skate that season - "The Offspring of Dragons" (the same music that Zhang & Zhang used in 2006?). He had the flu @ 2011 Nationals, but no doubt he was thrilled to be there. When he fell & landed on his butt @ those Nationals (during his free skate) he laughed it off.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I usually start liking skaters gradually and it takes me 1-2 seasons to become a fan, but there were 3 eye-opening "insta-love" moments for me, and that was:
- the first time I saw Ilinykh/Katsalapov "Swan lake" (at TEB I think). They did nothing for me until that moment. Too bad that partnership ended the same season.
- the first time I saw Hanyu's "Seimei" (Skate Canada). Until that program I'd been too distracted by the bling and ruffles to notice what a fantastic skater he is.
- the first time I saw Davis/White "Fledermaus" (Skate America, and I still love that version the best). That was actually the most curious instance of the three, because I hadn't liked D/W before that much, and was rooting for Virtue/Moir. But the first Fledemaus was enough to make me do a 180° turn. :p

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I usually start liking skaters gradually and it takes me 1-2 seasons to become a fan, but there were 3 eye-opening "insta-love" moments for me, and that was:
- the first time I saw Ilinykh/Katsalapov "Swan lake" (at TEB I think). They did nothing for me until that moment. Too bad that partnership ended the same season.
- the first time I saw Hanyu's "Seimei" (Skate Canada). Until that program I'd been too distracted by the bling and ruffles to notice what a fantastic skater he is.
- the first time I saw Davis/White "Fledermaus" (Skate America, and I still love that version the best). That was actually the most curious instance of the three, because I hadn't liked D/W before that much, and was rooting for Virtue/Moir. But the first Fledemaus was enough to make me do a 180° turn. :p

I also take a little time to notice and like a skater, but sometimes It's instant.
For Yuzuru Hanyu, Satoko Miyahara, Takahiko Kozuka and Gabrielle Daleman, it took varying amounts of viewings to really like them and I can't pinpoint a moment where I truly became a fan.

But for Jason's Riverdance, Boynag's Spiderman, Deniss' Puting on the Ritz and Brezina's Game of Thrones, it was instant love.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Long laundry list:

Anyone bothered with struggling to attain originality, creativity, breaking out of their bubble and comfort zone
Taking risks either artistically or technically for personal breakthroughs
Not skating for points/skating 'smart' is worthy my admiration and liking
Everyone is capable of it, but rarely do it
Or overcome their shortcomings by tackling new things head on... it is the sort of reason I quite like Yulia's Elvis program, even though it didn't work out in the season for her. The effort alone made me like them. It is about the process, not the end result.

Anyone harshly judged, unfairly marked, underappreciated by the judges also weirdly get me to like them and really want to cheer them on.

It is all about the work and how they got there, the rest is just noise (or nice bonuses).

Oh... and any egregious OVER MARKING & POLITICAL INFLATION definitely negate any positive feelings I may have about the program or performance.

Barb

Record Breaker
Love at first sight

Mao Asada (Fantasie impromptu) GPF 2007 LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJ_mG6Qvno&t=83s
Maia and Alex (Cinema Paradiso) GPF 2008 FD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zPg5i8bCuc&t=253s. The performance that made me turn to see ice dance. Which was a great achievement considering that the Mao vs. Yuna battle was at its peak. I think even the president of Korea was present in that competition.

And it is only now, as I say this, that I realize that both were in GPF :think:, no wonder it's my favorite competition

I take a little time to notice to :

Akiko Suzuki Libertango https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gDGozML94
Joannie R. Japan open 2009 S&D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkKujx5dzBg
Satoko Skate Canada 2014 Miss Saigon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh0_u1KI8Lg
Ashley Wagner Polovetsians Dances 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3csEb05r2rU
Polina T. GOT program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuO1TWFUXAs&t=167s
Michelle K. Tosca https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns The number of times I watched this program is embarrassing
Shizuka A. Listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4smHRVRd7E
Yulia L. Finlandia 2013 Shindler´s list , before this program I thought she was really terrible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p0s9732oOI
Adelina S. both programs 2015-16 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUsT45t-8zM
W/P Olympics María de Buenos Aires https://youtu.be/SryaPox_I6o?t=2289
V/M Skate Canada Carmen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-2PU_ktaw&t=293s

Patrick Chan, live 4cc 2012 that was THE REVELATION, When you go from hate to love :love:, and you have trouble accepting those new feelings :noshake: :drama: :eek:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBHURTrTNxE

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick Chan, live 4cc 2012 that was THE REVELATION, When you go from hate to love :love:, and you have trouble accepting those new feelings :noshake: :drama: :eek:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBHURTrTNxE

HEHE :) For me, Patrick was very soon on my radar. I hadn't seen him live until this year's Nationals though. I noticed you put LIVE in your REVELATION post about him because, even if I have been a fan since 2008, seeing him live was incredible. A lot of skaters look better live, some look worse... but Patrick is SO MUCH better live.. I was not expecting it, even being a fan.

A lot of people discover his artistry for the first time when they get to see him compete. So, don't have any trouble accepting these feelings. Just forgive yourself for hating him before LOL ;) it's all good ;)

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
It's the moment I learn about their off ice personality and backgrounds. Several important factors must exist: their religious faith, humility, discipline, approach to family and traditional social order. This is why I tend to like Eastern European and Russian skaters more and try to stay away from the US camp.

Those negative comments towards you were quite awful!! You are entitled to like whoever you choose based on whatever factors matter to you...which is what I believe this thread is about. There is certainly a lot of overreaction and over-sensitivity on here!

I agree with you, whilst I like US skaters as well as Russian, I love reading about the Russian approach to skating and life in general. Possibly I'm biased as I'm biologically predominantly Tatarish Russian (like Zagitova ☺️, just more "Asian" in appearance...so probably forced to skate to Miss Saigon by some people on here!! ;) ), but I don't think so - I reckon I would find their mindset, lifestyle, training, government support etc etc fascinating regardless. You are correct, the discipline those young girls possses is remarkable! Some have overcome incredible misfortune very young but have continued to work regardless and have an incredibly mature mindset, definitely something which factors in to whether I like a skater myself.
This was a factor for me in starting to like Mihara, learning of her health issues and how she overcame them.

It is fascinating to learn how each country fosters skaters, if for no other reason than to learn from their strategies.
(And yes, it is lovely to see an athlete cross themselves before a skate, it always makes me smile!)

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Stephane Lambiel - 2006 OG in Torino. Yes, I cried with him on that pedestal:agree2:
Mao Asada - 2008 NHK Trophy. I always liked figure skating, but this girl made me passionate about it.
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir - 2009 Worlds FD (Pink Floyd). For me that was WOW and so impressive. They've changed my mind about ice dance, they made me interested in ice dance.
Carolina Kostner - 2011 Worlds. I liked her, but never understood why she's so special. I needed to see her skating live....no questions since then.
Patrick Chan - same 2011 Worlds. Before that I didn't like him at all, If not to say worse) How to explain this weird feeling....when you don't like someone and his skating but suddenly you end up giving a standing ovation. From hate to love.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Shoma Uno skate for the first time at Skate America 2015 when I saw his FS of his senior debut. Since I didn't follow juniors, I had no idea who he was. I remember saying to my friend, "Who was that little Japanese firecracker?" He also looked like he was about 12. I've been following him ever since and have seen him live a number of times and have met him.

My real reason for going to SA was to see Jason, since he had captured my heart the previous year at Boston Nationals. So I left Milwaukee as a bigger Jason fan and a Shoma fan. (And the podium made me happy too!) :luv17:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Speaking of Shoma Uno, I became a fan when I saw him skate his SP The Blessed Spirits at 2013 Dreams On Ice. I haven't seen that video in a long time since it was deleted from YouTube. Actually he's the reason I started paying attention to juniors and then I saw Satoko as well.

With Daisuke Takahashi it was love at first sight - 2008 Worlds SP. With Tatsuki Machida I can't put my finger on the exact moment, I became a fan gradually.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is a little complicated. Todd Eldredge. I had seen Todd skate before. I was at Skate America in 1991 and to be honest, I was there to see Tonya Harding. I had seen her land her 3A at Nationals and I was very excited to see Tonya along with Kristi Yamaguchi. Todd was there but, he was feeling the fatigue of an extended summer tour and did not skate well. He was also over shadowed by the late Christopher Bowman who wowed the crowd.

It was at Worlds in 2001 that I was able to really appreciate Todd and his spectacular Jumps and fast spins.....He also has an engine that can't be beat. He got standing ovations for both of his performances and he had the sweetest demeanor. You could just tell that he was a very nice young man. This is Todd's LP from Worlds in 2001. You can't even hear his music over the screaming crowd during the final spin combination.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEZyj0DM_5o

I'm going to give a shoutout to one of the best, and most friendly audiences I've ever been a part of....Go Canada...:thank::bow:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Having followed the sport for more than 30 years, it is obvious that favourites have come and gone quite a few times. I am not always certain how I became of fan of this or that skater, but sometimes it is clear and I can still remember. Robin Cousins doing Michael Jackson's Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough as an ex at the Lake Placid Olympics was such radical stuff that it will never be forgotten (watched now, it is mostly very amusing :laugh:).

I think it is something in the choreographies and/or performances that usually catches my eye, like Petr Barna back in the day who was not that special technically, but had a fantastic musicality and sense of rhythm that only very few skaters have. Loved Kurt Browning's overall charisma and different take on how to make competition programs (he is also able to skate to rhythm and not just melody like most skaters). Oksana Baiul's charisma and performance qualities were amazing right from the start. Torvill & Dean and Rahkamo & Kokko for their inventiveness and the most amazing choreographies (and a bit of national pride with the latter, I confess). No recollection of the first time with these - apart from Baiul maybe because she came right to the top.

I've only been able to watch skating live for the couple of past years (it is a very expensive hobby!), but I think it has changed the way I look at skaters a lot. Now when I see sth interesting on tv, I wonder if that will look equally good live...

I will never forget the only time I was able to see Daisuke Takahashi live on ice - Finlandia Trophy when he came back to ice after an injury, obviously no technical firepower but his performance was amazing and his charisma on ice could fill a supertanker easily! Had not really been a fan before but that changed things. I am still not a huge Denis Ten fan, but seeing him live in Paris for the GP last year I was able to appreciate his skating skills and performance qualities - it is a pity he has to jump because he is not so good at it that they could really incorporate the jumps seamlessly into the choreos making them look very different (like a jumping section with very little else happening and then a super effective step and choreo sequences). His hiphop ex was out of this world and the only skating elements were the spins in it... (But on the other hand, live can also disappoint - I was really keen to see Jason Brown for the first time in Worlds and expected to like him, but he felt totally flat all the time, some "wow" transitions, but that was all the emotion his performances and skating produced in me.)

My current big fave is Javier Fernández, the after-Sochi version of him. I never really liked him before Black Betty, but I remember perking up when I saw him perform that program in Skate Canada for the first time. Unusual choice for music and I was not really sure of the outcome that first time, but the energy and commitment in the Rostelecom performace lured me over completely. Have not looked back since.

I started following the junior scene a couple of years ago and that has given a lot of love at first sight moments - Deniss Vasiljevs, Marin Honda, Artem Kovalev, Kevin Aymoz and Anastasia Gubanova although it was the live performace in Marseille that won me over...

I've also tried very hard to watch and appreciate and even like some of the very popular (and successful) skaters, but have failed so far completely - Yuzuru Hanyu, Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Shoma Uno, Yagudin, Plushenko among others make my attention wander after a minute of anything that they do...

E