The Politics of Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

The Politics of Figure Skating

Rgirl said:
Would it be fair to say then that perhaps what has Kwan fans down in the dumps (big generalization here) is not the COP itself, but rather the fact that, at least so far, Michelle hasn't benefitted from the change?
I can't speak for all Kwan fans, of course, but I think the bittersweetness that we are feeling has nothing to do with the CoP. To every thing there is a season. In terms of Michelle's competitive career, we have more to look back on than to look forward to. Difficulties in adjusting to the requirements of the New Judging System, 12 years of wear and tear on her body, the inevitable rise of the next generation of great skaters -- the details don't matter. What matters is, I better get my tickets to the December Marshall's Cheesefest-with-Extra-Cheese quick, because we will not pass this way again.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200405/worlds/action/kwan-sp1.jpg

Rgirl said:
Ooooooh! Do I smell the faint vapors of "true score" in the air? Dang it. No. I just stepped in something.;)
I was hoping you would bring up the "true score." You beat me last time, but now I am ready for you!

The true score -- oh Rgirl, how quaint, how early-Nineteenth-Century (Laplace's big paper on the Central Limit Theorem appeared in 1810).

In modern times we have learned that, for instance, the electron and the photon do not actually exist. What exists and forms the basis of all ordinary macroscopic phenomena are interactions between photons and electrons.

As to the relation between the quality of a figure skating performance and the judging thereof, what is the sound of one hand clapping?

MM :p

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Would it be fair to say then that perhaps what has Kwan fans down in the dumps (big generalization here) is not the COP itself, but rather the fact that, at least so far, Michelle hasn't benefitted from the change? That's pretty much what Red Dog says in Post #168, and ITA with him that if the COP causes Kwan further serious injury or prompts her to retire from competitive skating, it would be very sad indeed. OTOH, under the 6.0 system, a weak jumper such as Alissa Czisny--though doing better so far with the hinged boot--would not necessarily received the credit for her extraordinary spins and spiral sequence.

And with that I'll end this with the only absolute fact I know: Life is unfair.

Rgirl

Rgirl...

For me, while I don't like the NJS per se because I don't like all the sloppy skating it seems to reward, the Kwan factor is a bit different. Because its figure skating and not quantum physics, I don't doubt that Michelle could make the adjustment.

What the ubers & the haters fail to see is that she just skated really, really bad at Worlds. The system had little or nothing to do with that... Stuff happens. To every skater at some point in their career. Just ask Cohen, Irina, & Diva... they've had their share of total meltdowns at Worlds too. We just aren't used to seeing Kwan falter.

What concerns me now is that after 12 years as the "one to beat" Kwan's famously long streak of basically being injury-free seems to be over. That's hard to swallow in her last bid for tht elusive OGM. Both she & Irina should've been at the top of their game, going into their third try for the gold and it being a shoot out until the last second of the last skater's program. Its depressing that this might not be the case.

It would've been depressing under 6.0, CoP or KFC.

And yes, life is so not fair...

Last edited:
Mathman said:
I can't speak for all Kwan fans, of course, but I think the bittersweetness that we are feeling has nothing to do with the CoP. To every thing there is a season. In terms of Michelle's competitive career, we have more to look back on than to look forward to. Difficulties in adjusting to the requirements of the New Judging System, 12 years of wear and tear on her body, the inevitable rise of the next generation of great skaters -- the details don't matter. What matters is, I better get my tickets to the December Marshall's Cheesefest-with-Extra-Cheese quick, because we will not pass this way again.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/events/200405/worlds/action/kwan-sp1.jpg
What you're saying makes the most sense. Although you mentioned the COP in your first post about what seemed to have Kwan fans "feeling down," as time has gone on and now with this post, I think you've captured that what Michelle's fans have been feeling (it goes without saying you don't speak for them as a group, but I bet most would agree with you) is so much bigger than any judging system. I know bittersweet is how I feel. Even though I've only been a fan since '03, I've always respected Michelle for staying at the top of her game year in and year out for so many years, as well as for her countenance both on and off the ice.

I don't mean to sound like "it's over," but you are right. At least in terms of her competitive skating, there is far more to look back on than to look forward to. OTOH, who knows, perhaps Michelle will single handedly revive the golden years of pro skating, ie, when Kristi Yamaguchi, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning, G&G, Torvill & Dean, and others both kept up their technical skills and skated brilliantly choreographed programs that were stunningly creative. But then, as many have said, Michelle has always been a competitor first and foremost. Whatever the season has in store for Michelle, I'm sure she'll approach it with her characteristic grace and insight.

And I'd say that photo shows the essence of "Kwanliness," or at least one of its many manifestations.

Thanks for answering my question.

Rgirl

Kwanford Wife said:
Rgirl...

For me, while I don't like the NJS per se because I don't like all the sloppy skating it seems to reward, the Kwan factor is a bit different. Because its figure skating and not quantum physics, I don't doubt that Michelle could make the adjustment.

What the ubers & the haters fail to see is that she just skated really, really bad at Worlds. The system had little or nothing to do with that... Stuff happens. To every skater at some point in their career. Just ask Cohen, Irina, & Diva... they've had their share of total meltdowns at Worlds too. We just aren't used to seeing Kwan falter.

What concerns me now is that after 12 years as the "one to beat" Kwan's famously long streak of basically being injury-free seems to be over. That's hard to swallow in her last bid for tht elusive OGM. Both her & Irina should've been at the top of their game, going into their third try for the gold and it being a shoot out until the last second of the last skater's program. Its depressing that this might not be the case.

It would've been depressing under 6.0, CoP or KFC.

And yes, life is so not fair...
You must have posted while I was replying to Mathman. Thanks to you too for your elegant answer to my question. Since you and Mathman express very similar views, I won't repeat my reply. Just don't want you to think I'm blowing you off. I really do appreciate your thoughtful comments.

Rgirl

Mathman said:
I was hoping you would bring up the "true score." You beat me last time, but now I am ready for you!

The true score -- oh Rgirl, how quaint, how early-Nineteenth-Century (Laplace's big paper on the Central Limit Theorem appeared in 1810).

In modern times we have learned that, for instance, the electron and the photon do not actually exist. What exists and forms the basis of all ordinary macroscopic phenomena are interactions between photons and electrons.

As to the relation between the quality of a figure skating performance and the judging thereof, what is the sound of one hand clapping?
MM :p
I thought by saying "Do I smell the scent of 'true score' in the air? Dang it. No. I just stepped in something," it would convey that I have no intention of bringing up "true score," that I was just joshin' you for old times sake.

Where is the emoticon for "Mathman, I'm pulling your leg!" :laugh: :p :rock:

Rgirl