The race for the Ladies JGPF | Page 11 | Golden Skate

The race for the Ladies JGPF

Skatesocs

Final Flight
You got me!

I love Isabeau more than Jason Brown, Andrew Torgashev, and Donovan Carrillo combined. She is my lodestar. And only and solely because she is American, because I all I want to do is beat all other countries because winning a women's skating competition will demonstrate just how wonderful I am and my country is.:devil::devil::devil:

(Complete and total sarcasm, in case that is missed ;))
Not just that! Not only will Isabeau's success in the junior grand prix circuit bolster her fame - it will also rejuvenate figure skating in the US! As its popularity rises, the USFS can organize more events in the US, slowly but surely increasing ticketing prices as more and more people flock to the US for figure skating. This money will then be used towards your, Isabeau's, and the USFS' plans for world domination, as people become helpless addicts and slaves for US skating!!!!

(still joking)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Looks like the worst possible solution, if I’m honest.

You’re having more than 1 group anyway, add Samodelkina in for gods sake. People who only went to 1 stage now have a way in, but Samo doesn’t. :-/ Levito now doesn’t even have to attend her second jgp, she’s in anyways. How’s this fair.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not just that! Not only will Isabeau's success in the junior grand prix circuit bolster her fame - it will also rejuvenate figure skating in the US! As is popularity rises, the USFS can organize more events in the US, slowly but surely increasing ticketing prices as more and more people flock to the US for figure skating. This money will then be used towards your, Isabeau's, and the USFS' plans for world domination, as people become helpless addicts and slaves for US skating!!!!

(still joking)
I agree with this. There is a lot of new talent coming up in the US Ladies. Our Men have been great but, the OGM is always HUGE here in the states. Isabeau and Lindsay have recreated a spark in the ladies event. I haven't followed junior skating a quite a while but, it's been very exciting this year.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Also, I „sorta“ get them allowing Japan to add one skater, since they are hosting it. However, wasn’t it JSF choice not to send anyone?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I agree with this. There is a lot of new talent coming up in the US Ladies. Our Men have been great but, the OGM is always HUGE here in the states. Isabeau and Lindsay have recreated a spark in the ladies event. I haven't followed junior skating a quite a while but, it's been very exciting this year.
It was a joke post...

Lzbee

Final Flight
Samodelkina does still have a chance but she has to hope for Levito to win or come 2nd or for whoever comes 2nd to have a total score less than hers.

If Levito doesn't get gold or silver then Samo has to hope that one of the Russian girls score less than 200...

They really should have taken out the 3A combo in the SP :/

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
As I understood it, highest score only comes into play as a secondary assessment, if the individual gold medallists cannot fill up 6 spots (which is not the case in ladies except if Zhilina has to withdraw).
That's true😦
So that's mean that even if Zinina and Muravieva finish 1-2 (Levito 3rd), one of them will stay at home despite having two silver and maybe higher total score than Levito.
If Zhilina can even just jumps regular triples she will compete. So it will be: Akatieva, Zhilina, Petrosian, Levito, Thorngren, Zinina/Muravieva.

Poor Samodelkina. 0 chance even if Zhilina withdraw.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Samodelkina does still have a chance but she has to hope for Levito to win or come 2nd or for whoever comes 2nd to have a total score less than hers.

If Levito doesn't get gold or silver then Samo has to hope that one of the Russian girls score less than 200...

That's true😦
So that's mean that even if Zinina and Muravieva finish 1-2 (Levito 3rd), one of them will stay at home despite having two silver and maybe higher total score than Levito.
If Zhilina can even just jumps regular triples she will compete. So it will be: Akatieva, Zhilina, Petrosian, Levito, Thorngren, Zinina/Muravieva.

Oh darn I miscounted, there's 7 GPs not 6 :palmf: So Samodelkina has to hope for at least one of the Russian girls to score below 200 regardless of medals. Yikes that's rough.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think this winners only rule is more for Zhilina than Thorngren and Levito tbh. Those two would have been in with normal rules anyway (barring a Levito meltdown).
But they initially said they won’t do normal rules, couldn’t backtrack from that decision apparently and then they decided „why not do something worse instead“.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think this winners only rule is more for Zhilina than Thorngren and Levito tbh. Those two would have been in with normal rules anyway (barring a Levito meltdown).
The bad thing with it is that even if she has a meldtown now and finishes 10th, she's already in...

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Looks like the worst possible solution, if I’m honest.

You’re having more than 1 group anyway, add Samodelkina in for gods sake. People who only went to 1 stage now have a way in, but Samo doesn’t. :-/ Levito now doesn’t even have to attend her second jgp, she’s in anyways. How’s this fair.
I do agree this particular part seems very unfair.

However, I don't think this would have really mattered. She would have lost to Akatieva in her first assignment anyway, and I find her inferior to Petrosyan, too, although I guess she could have beaten her on tech by going all clean. I don't think 2+3 usually makes the GPF either, but I guess maybe it could have been 2+2. (Correct me if I'm not thinking right btw, don't have the rules all straight in my head yet)

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
She could theoretically still make it if Levito won JGP Linz and Muraviova and Zinina both scored below 200 (roughly). Then Sofa would be in on account of her third highest total score. But it would be so devastating for the two other girls. :(

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

But they initially said they won’t do normal rules, couldn’t backtrack from that decision apparently and then they decided „why not do something worse instead“.
If this was announced earlier, Russians could leave Sofia A. to rest and Liza Kulikova could be in the finals now, BTW...

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Among many others, this was my suggestion as well.

I think it keeps the spirit of the GP, competing well against your field, and every single lady (and all disciplines) that has JGPF prospects had two chances to win an event, so it’s fair in that respect. It does leave some top performers out, but the normal GPF selections do as well, so nothing new there. Filling any spots left with the next top scorers is a good choice as well.

I said it before, but the GPF selections were never completely “fair.” It’s always been about capitalizing off the opportunities in your field.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Among many others, this was my suggestion as well.

I think it keeps the spirit of the GP, competing well against your field, and every single lady (and all disciplines) that has JGPF prospects had two chances to win an event, so it’s fair in that respect. It does leave some top performers out, but the normal GPF selections do as well, so nothing new there. Filling any spots left with the next top scorers is a good choice as well.

I said it before, but the GPF selections were never completely “fair.” It’s always been about capitalizing off the opportunities in your field.
If those fields are or can be more or less equal this system would be valid. If the fields are that uneven as were this time, this is a corrupted system. Fields at both Courchevel events were significantly weaker than at other ones, no question about that. If qualification is a qualification, than it should show your overall quality throughout more competitions, like in normal case, not that you are born "under a lucky (and influential) flag star."

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It’s not even like usual years, where you sometimes end up with a bad draw but the Russian skaters (and the Korean, in some cases) literally weren‘t allowed to attend the first two events and had to be relocated.
Russian and Koreans fought a good fight, and Japan gets a free out of jail card…

Hey, at least nobody would say that ISU is all one giant Russian conspiracy.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
I think it keeps the spirit of the GP, competing well against your field
No, it's not. The spirit of the GP is selection of best skaters. The final should consist of best of the best - despite their nationality. Period. Do not mix it with spirit of WC or 4CC - diversity and giving chances of "tourism for free" to weak skaters - you should look for it there. GP always been elite event for elites in this sport. Until this season.