The race for the Ladies JGPF | Page 12 | Golden Skate

The race for the Ladies JGPF

bubblecherry

Final Flight
No, it's not. The spirit of the GP is selection of best skaters. The final should consist of best of the best - despite their nationality. Period. Do not mix it with spirit of WC or 4CC - diversity and giving chances of "tourism for free" to weak skaters - you should look for it there. GP always been elite event for elites in this sport. Until this season.
It has nothing to do with nationality and I’m a Russian ladies fan more than anything else :palmf:

The GPF typically leaves out some of the top scoring skaters because of the placement qualifications. A different system, but the same concept this time. They’re both completely flawed if we only looked at scores—but the GP does not only look at scores.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The GPF typically leaves out some of the top scoring skaters because of the placement qualifications. A different system, but the same concept this time. They’re both completely flawed if we only looked at scores—but the GP does not only look at scores.
The biggest difference is that they usually look at 2 events, and in this case, they only look at one, best, performance and only placement wise, when the problem they were trying to address was 5/7 stages not being available to some skaters, hence access to gold medals being lower. This didn’t address the root cause of changing the system this year.

On top of it, a nation that didn’t compete at all—and not because it was forbidden to come, but because they didn’t want to—gets spots in two disciplines at the expense of pairs.

So, one or none gold is sufficient and quotas extended for singles and ID, but cut down for pairs. That’s not in keeping with previous practices.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The Japanese federation is hosting the event. I see nothing unfair about allowing Japanese skaters to participate.
If it wasn’t done at the expense of pairs, I would have less objections to Japanese pushing their weight around. But pairs losing a warm-up group to accommodate those extra 2 skaters from Japan in singles is not cool to me, given that the pair competitions were not at all impacted by Covid restrictions. That was just mean-spirited of Japan.

Cdimop

Rinkside
Becasue there are none. ISU announced that there will be no JGP standings this season before the series started.
Thank you for clarifying that. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is? Wikipedia kind of sorta have a kind of ranking

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
If it wasn’t done at the expense of pairs, I would have less objections to Japanese pushing their weight around. But pairs losing a warm-up group to accommodate those extra 2 skaters from Japan in singles is not cool to me, given that the pair competitions were not at all impacted by Covid restrictions. That was just mean-spirited of Japan.
I mean technically pairs was impacted. Canada withdrew (and had pairs) but France couldn't host with pairs. So they added pairs to Poland. Now that's not quite as impactful as Russia missing the first two events, but it was a change, and could affect training, etc.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I mean technically pairs was impacted. Canada withdrew (and had pairs) but France couldn't host with pairs. So they added pairs to Poland. Now that's not quite as impactful as Russia missing the first two events, but it was a change, and could affect training, etc.
Sure, I will write a strongly worded letter to Skate Canada about how it was their fault that I don't get to see a full pair event at the JGP. Because it wasn't Japan at all who asked for it. So, will we see less pairs in Turin and Tallinn too because it affected the training?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wonder what the reasoning behind that is?
It was provided in Communication 2418 in early August. The ISU stated that fair and consistent ranking is impossible, hence the emphasis will be on safety and participation, with alternative criteria to determine the selection for the final

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Sure, I will write a strongly worded letter to Skate Canada about how it was their fault that I don't get to see a full pair event at the JGP. Because it wasn't Japan at all who asked for it. So, will we see less pairs in Turin and Tallinn too because it affected the training?
Well, we will see less pairs at the JGPF. But also there is the possibility that we would have seen different pairs. I also didn't say they were as impacted as others, but they might have been. Also, I'm not sure I would hold either Japan or Canada responsible for it. Ultimately, it's a global pandemic and I'm just happy we get any junior competition at all.

Reactions: Myr

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, we will see less pairs at the JGPF. But also there is the possibility that we would have seen different pairs. I also didn't say they were as impacted as others, but they might have been. Also, I'm not sure I would hold either Japan or Canada responsible for it. Ultimately, it's a global pandemic and I'm just happy we get any junior competition at all.
You suggested that the change from event 1 in Canada to event in Poland impacted pairs event in such a way that the quotes reduction was justified. Japan doesn’t have junior pairs, always cuts pairs out when they have a chance (NKH) or undervalues their performances, like in Team Trophy, so, I would say that the decision to cut one warm up from pair event to accommodate Japanese wild cards was from Japan and what Japan thinks is interesting to the Japanese audience. Nobody else would have had it on their agenda to cut out pairs.

About the only hill in this JGPF decision that I would die on is that pair quote cut was not justified and meanspirited.

Last edited:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
You suggested that the change from event 1 in Canada to event in Poland impacted pairs event in such a way that the quotes reduction was justified. Japan doesn’t have junior pairs, always cuts pairs out when they have a chance (NKH) or undervalues their performances, like in Team Trophy, so, I would say that the decision to cut one warm up from pair event to accommodate Japanese wild cards was from Japan and what Japan thinks is interesting to the Japanese audience. Nobody else would have had it on their agenda to cut out pairs.

About the only hill in this JGPF decision that I would die on is that pair quote cut was not justified and meanspirited.
No I didn't. I merely suggested that pairs was impacted by scheduling as well as the other disciplines. (I didn't refer to the quotas and loss of places until later.)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
No I didn't. I merely suggested that pairs was impacted by scheduling as well as the other disciplines. (I didn't refer to the quotas and loss of places until later.)
I still don’t see how moving from Edmonton to Gdańsk = 2 pairs less and additions in singles… I mean, Edmonton is a wonderful city, no argument, but I dunno if they can put Pair Skating Paradise in their travel brochures…

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I still don’t see how moving from Edmonton to Gdańsk = 2 pairs less and additions in singles… I mean, Edmonton is a wonderful city, no argument, but I dunno if they can put Pair Skating Paradise in their travel brochures…
It doesn't. I never said it did. All I was saying was that pairs competitions was impacted by covid restrictions.

Climb

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Now it is clear that it was not just about women discipline. Russian Kovalev is out and Canadian Chiu is in.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Now it is clear that it was not just about women discipline. Russian Kovalev is out and Canadian Chiu is in.
The way it played out in the tight trio Rukhin-Chiu-Kovalev ended up with the same result as they showed in Krasnoyarsk, when all 3 skated in the same competition. Given that Kovalev started gaining form late, with a rather lacklustre performance at the Moscow Junior championship and had problems with his free skate there and in Krasnoyarsk, and missed the final by a popped quad even in Linz, there is absolutely zero assurance he would have outskated Chiu in Corchuvel-2, definitely not Malinin. I don’t remember what stage he initially had in France. It was very close between him and Rukhin, down to 2 points for that final. But, basically, if you look at the system comparisons, in total points, Chiu would have been first sub, in current system, Kovalev is the 1st sub. In regular system, there would be 3 Russian men in the final, as Levandi would have went in with 2 silvers. So, basically, it hit exactly half-way between, and Chiu’s highest score allows him to be completive, more so than Thorngren. I assume that there is zero argument with Malinin’s aptitude to be in the final despite the soft French gold.

Last edited: