The U.S. Ladies of 2000: Where are they now? | Golden Skate

The U.S. Ladies of 2000: Where are they now?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2000 U.S. National Championships in Cleveland, Ohio, might be remembered as one of the most highly anticipated skating competitions in recent memory.

More

Whoa, what a great article. Nice bit of research! Thank you J.R. and Gsk8.

[Stacey] Pensgen is now on the ice every day coaching in the Rochester, NY, area and can also be seen on 13WHAM-TV in Rochester as an on-air meteorologist and reporter.
:rock:

soogar

Record Breaker
Thanks for this article. It's really interesting to see where these competitors wind up after they end their skating careers.

sarainelkins

Spectator
WHO was this female skater and what year was she at Nationals?

Does anyone remember the female skater at Nationals a few years ago who did one of her programs as a robot? It rocked the house and although she wasn't a top finisher, she performed the program again at the Exhibition/gala. I have gobs of old programs on tape and want to re-watch that program, but for the life of me I can't remember what year this was or the name of this skater. All replies will be very much appreciated.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
believe her last name was Rosenthal (not Blake)... Stephanie? maybe?

ETA - and thank you, GS, for finding out where Katie Lee has gone! I was a huge fan of hers - chatting with her online way back in the Skate Forum days helped me know who she was - and always wondered what happened after we lost touch!

Last edited:
Was the skater who portrayed a robot Stephanie Rosenthal?

That article was wonderful but also poignant, because it showed how many promising young skaters have to stop because of serious injury. Naomi Nari Nam was a particularly hard loss for skating; she had so much charisma and talent. I also remember a quick glimpse of Deanna Stellato before she left the sport way too soon, and she was one of the really good ones. I wonder whether male skaters have as high a rate of career-ending injuries as ladies. The fact that female skaters advance at a much earlier age, while their bodies are still so unformed, may leave them more vulnerable to injuries, especially of the hip and back.

Regardless, it was a delightful article. Fun to revisit that important year in skating. And how nice to hear how many of the girls went on to interesting careers or pursued more advanced education.

silversprings77

Rinkside
Stacey Pensgen is doing really well as the weatherperson for Rochester, NY (where I juts moved from). Once in a while someone would go to her for a comment on something related to figure skating in the news but she prefers to be known for her on-air stuff. She still coaches learn to skate classes occasionally! :)

lcd

Match Penalty
Great to hear about these ladies. When they accomplish so much as teenagers, nice to see some continuing with their involvement in the sport (Bottoms), and many finding success and happiness elsewhere. I hope there are more of these "where are they now" articles on various "graduating classes" of skaters.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I noticed name Heidi Pakkala 15th place. The name sounds originally Finnish.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Was the skater who portrayed a robot Stephanie Rosenthal?
Yes. Stephanie Rosenthal's rockin' "Rockit" SP at 2006 Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnkku5aJzZM

Rosenthal's poignant FS (she got the crowd going during her straight line footwork at the end! she finished 8th overall): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMwXYdkSK4g

Rosenthal is scheduled to graduate from Yale University in the spring of 2010.

THANKS for your article, Elvin! :)

Angela Nikodinov, Naomi Nari Nam and Brittney McConn (Bottoms) were coaches at 2010 Nationals. Nikodinov co-coached a junior man (Grisha Fournier), Nam co-coached a Junior and a Novice pair team (Carman/Reiss and Guterres/Schumann), and McConn co-coached a Novice man (Timothy Dolensky).

Last edited: