The Year That Was | Golden Skate

The Year That Was

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
While wasting valuable work time, I started poking around another site & found a thread chatting about the 2005-06 season... the good / the bad / the ugly / the indifferent and wondered what GSers thoughts are on the year that was...

Let's set the ground rule of no bashing... no propping of your favorites... etc. Just your thoughts... I'll begin...

The Good
I truly enjoyed ice dancing for the first time... the one dicipline where CoP might actually work... eventually

The Men's world competition. Lots of fun & I enjoyed seeing Brian be more than just a pretty face on the ice! ;)

DivaKwara's OGM ... the skate wasn't wonderful, but her winning was!

Miki Ando's Merry Christmas program at the beginning of the season

The Bad
Michelle's injury really hampered the competitive aspect... I hadn't really thought just how spoiled I'd been... it just wasn't the same

Irina's olympic meltdown. Didn't see that one coming...

Plushy's olympic free skate... wtf was that?

The Ugly
The pair's silver medal

Miki Ando's olympic costumes

The Olympics... from Michelle's withdrawl to the final ladies' pose... I can't believe I waited four years for THAT!!!

The Quad Strategy... please. what a joke. If you can't land it, don't throw it...

The Indifferent
Sasha's Olympics & Worlds performance... it blows my mind how the fans, media, etc. blather on & on about how she can't handle pressure and then we turn around and pile it on... only to feign shock & awe when the pressure does her in... either support her or let it go...

The whole Johnny thing... never understood all that...

Evan L. - just indifferent to his skating... looking for his development next season

The obsession with the next generation of skaters... Mao, Kimmie & all the rest have a long way to go... Have we not learned anything about crowing the "Saviour of Skating" before they even have an opportunity to take the ice?

Those are my thoughts... what are yours?

The triple Olympic Win for Russia in Men's, Pairs, and Dance was a huge highlight for the past season.

The rise of the Asian Junior Ladies and the culmination of a Japanese Lady winning the 2006 Olympic Gold Medal.

Stephane Lambiel's back to back World Championships. The return to grace of Brian Joubert.

The incredible win of Kimmie Meissner which was not expected at all.

Denkova and Stavisky as well as Dubreil and Lauzon in a race to the finish!

Pang and Tong giving their beautiful Nureyev/Fontaine performance - finally appreciated.

The above were my highlights for the past season. I'm not interested in giving the negatives.

Joe

Lanie

On the Ice
Kwanford Wife said:
Sasha's Olympics & Worlds performance... it blows my mind how the fans, media, etc. blather on & on about how she can't handle pressure and then we turn around and pile it on... only to feign shock & awe when the pressure does her in... either support her or let it go...

ITA - that's exactly Sasha's problem.

My highlights:

The Kerrs getting aired on American TV at the Olympics and Worlds. That made me really happy. :) Now my parents and friends are big fans. ETA: John and Sinead's top 10 at the Olympics!

Sasha's Olympic FS after the falls. She finally went and just let it go. I almost cried.

Evan Lysacek's Olympic and World free skates. Yay Evan!

Stephanie Rosenthal at US Nats. ;)

Shen and Zhao's remarkable comeback.

Sarah Meier, Susanna Poykio and Kiira Korpi doing a lot better than expected at the Olympics and Worlds - good for them!

Rena and John's throw 3ax. :rock:

A low for me was the constant undermarking of the Kerrs all season. :(

Last edited:

evenstar

Final Flight
Inoue/Baldwin's throw triple axel was definitely a high! Mao winning the GPF wasn't exactly a high, but certainly a "refreshing" and "relieved" moment! I loved Evan's comeback at the Olympics. Stephanie Rosenthal falls under the "refreshing' catergory too.

A low was definitely Michelle not competing this season, apart from the December snooze/cheesefest.

The 5 uglies:

Sasha's disapointing Worlds

Most of the ice dancing costumes-paticulary Grushina's!:eek:

Alissa Czisny's fall at the GPF. OUCH!:cry:

Dan Zhang's fall at the Olympics- even more ouch.

Alissa Czisny's nationals performances-very,very disappointing for her.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I agree that I & B and the throw triple axel was among this year's highs; and that the comeback kid himself (Evan) was another. I was also overjoyed when D & L won the silver. What happened to Michelle (and to D & L in Torino) were among the sadder events of the season.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Miki Ando's olympic costumes

The Quad Strategy... please. what a joke. If you can't land it, don't throw it...

Of course I disagree with these two comments.

I liked them both and the LP was one of my favorite ever, fresh, reserved yet made it that much more ???? and provoked a little bit of Japanese pride IMO. The SP was just a typical outfit, very indifferent but I do not dislike it at all. It is still about what's inside that counts. I thought CKs snowflake was less attractive acutely, manly because I think the skirt was way to short.

The quad, I am sure she thought she could just as much as Iri thought she wouldn't fall. You don't know unless you try. And the cop didn't really make it so if she didnt then...it would be much different if - as a different poster said - they don't count at all unless they are landed.

Kwanford Wife said:
The Olympics... from Michelle's withdrawl to the final ladies' pose... I can't believe I waited four years for THAT!!!

I enjoyed all of her time prior, this whole fiasco based around what happened has been the only thing I don't like about MK. I would have been much more impressed if she would have said "I don't want to take away anybody else's opportunity." Emmies chances of not being physically stable enough to skate in 2010 are likely, her sis is a good sign that she too may have similar problems as she develops - genetics. This should have been seen as more likely Emmies only chance at it where MK has had 2. Not only that, isn't MK the most decorated Skater of all time. I understand the missing link to her ultimate goal, but she is not the only one with that goal. Still love Michelle, but she is already considered the best, and there is nothing to prove any different - even not competing in Torino.

I hope that doesn't hurt any MK fans feelings, honestly. MK is my favorite skaters most admired skater. And she was mine until 2002. She still blows my mind when she does footwork, she has incredible "dancing" skills.
http://dl2.filehd.com/download.php?get=482385565

I thought Michelle did the best she could in an impossible situation. Everyone was counting on her, from the U.S. Olympic Committee to the television networks and their corporate sponsors, to represent the United States at the Olympic Games.

To her credit, she didn't give up, she didn't give in, she gave everything she had.

When it proved impossible to compete, Michelle kept her promise by withdrawing in a timely fashion, giving Emily the maximum chance to make the most of her Olympic experience.

Michelle turned down television interviews and offers to commentate on the Games in order not to draw the spotlight from the other athletes.

She knew she was between a rock and a hard place, and that she would face criticism whatever she did. All she could do was follow her own moral compass with steadfastness and grace.

I think her conduct was beyond reproach.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Wonderful post. I think she handled it the best she could.

Highs for me were Fumie's silver medal at Worlds and Shizuka's Gold medal win. I said all along that if Michelle couldn't win, I really wanted it to be Shizuka. I was also pretty happy that Plushy had great skates at the Olympics

B&A's rise in the dance world was also pretty special for me because I don't like dance. Also, the return of D&V in dance was pretty special.

Mikki Ando's performances for most of the year was quite sad for me.

Mathman said:
I thought Michelle did the best she could in an impossible situation. Everyone was counting on her, from the U.S. Olympic Committee to the television networks and their corporate sponsors, to represent the United States at the Olympic Games.

To her credit, she didn't give up, she didn't give in, she gave everything she had.

When it proved impossible to compete, Michelle kept her promise by withdrawing in a timely fashion, giving Emily the maximum chance to make the most of her Olympic experience.

Michelle turned down television interviews and offers to commentate on the Games in order not to draw the spotlight from the other athletes.

She knew she was between a rock and a hard place, and that she would face criticism whatever she did. All she could do was follow her own moral compass with steadfastness and grace.

I think her conduct was beyond reproach.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Highs: :clap:

Alissa Czisny's performances at Skate America & Skate Canada

Daisuke Takahashi's free skate at Skate America (saw it live!)

Tanith receiving her US citizenship in time to compete at the Olympics - Tanith & Ben's Olympic silver medal

Falling head over heels over Dube & Davison at Skate America & beyond! (I wish we lived closer to the Canadian border to see Canadian Nationals)

Jeff Buttle's Olympic bronze

Evan Lysacek's Olympic free skate

Matt Savoie making the US Olympic team

Rena & John's throw triple axel

Shizuka's Olympic gold medal

Fumie's World silver medal

Dubreuil & Lauzon's World bronze medal

Shen & Zhao's Olympic bronze medal

Kimmie winning Worlds

Brian Joubert's comeback at Worlds

Sasha's Olympic silver medal

"Olympic Ice"

Stephane Lambiel's tears of joy on the Olympic podium

Chris Mabee at 4CC

Delobel & Schoenfelder's free dance this season

The Lows :cry:

Michelle's injuries & subsequent withdrawal from the Olympics (she handled it with the utmost grace & dignity)

Barbara Fusar-Poli's despicable behavior & treatment of Maurizio following the original dance

Dan Zhang's fall at the Olympics

Marie France Dubreuil's fall at the Olympics

Jeff Buttle's finish at Worlds

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
THE GOOD:

Matt Savoie making the Olympic team, and his marvelous program at Nats.

The emergence of Shawn Sawyer, as, IMO, a genuine medal prospect for 2010.

Evan Lysacek's gutsy Olympic long program.

Gheorge Chiper's bronze at Eric Bompard -- Romania's first ever GP medal. (I like "nation milestones" such as this; also related is Grebenkina & Azrojan's bronze in dance at NHK; not only a milestone for Armenia, but also an indication that at least in dance, COP has no regard for World rankings, unlike in years past in dance competitions when couples basically finished in the same order just about every single time.)

The free dances of Dubreil/Lauzon, Denkova/Staviysky, and Deloebel/Schoenfelder; these dances showed that despite what some may consider excessive restrictions in Dance, great stuff is still possible.

Johnny Weir's cleaning fetish in Torino; definitely one of the more amusing minor storylines of the Olys.

Kimmie Meissner's continued improvement and maturity. (I'm not counting her Worlds victory as a highlight yet, tho; in the short run, it was -- in the long run, I'm not sure too much too soon is good for anyone. Didn't do much for Oksana Baiul and Vanessa Gusmeroli, among others....)

Shizuka's OGM win.

Sasha's Olympic short program.

Joannie Rochette's Olympic programs.

Silvia Fontana's joyful reaction to just BEING at the Olympics, even though she didn't skate well.

Inoue & Baldwin's overall season; much better, and with much better results, than I personally would have ever expected.

Dubreil & Lauzon's overall season. I was thrilled to see this wonderful couple finally emerge as serious contenders instead of the also-rans they had been in past seasons.

The costumes of Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov for their free dance.

The talent displayed by the US's 3 dance couples in Torino. Jamie, Ryan -- reconsider the breakup, please!! :yes:

The BAD (or, in some cases, it would be more accurate to say, the DOWNRIGHT STUPID, or the VERY DISAPPOINTING)

Timothy Goebel's amateur career ending with essentially a whimper. What happened????

Emanuel Sandhu's continued meltdowns.

The overscoring of Evgeni Plushenko. Made more notable by the overall quality of his skating, which has IMO declined. Like his style or not, at least in the past, stuff was going on besides the jumps. Not this year.

Rohene Ward getting on TV at the Nationals, with his mother in the audience, and having such an awful night.

Ryan Bradley's free skate at Nationals. No program done to "Saturday Night Fever" should be THIS boring. Especially when done by a skater of his talent and personality.

Michelle Kwan's "season".

Miki Ando being selected to go to Olys over Yukari Nakano. And I'll bet the Japanese federation is probably regretting that decision as well.

The skating of Ando, Elena Sokolova, and Carolina Kostner, at Olys.

The whole Zhang & Zhang Olympic debacle.

Fusar-Poli & Margaglio's comeback. First a "you gotta be kidding" compulsury win, then the whole Glare/24 Hour Snit routine, then the fact that former World Champions and Olympic medallists come back to skate in home country Olys and can't manage to come up with a free dance any better than what they came up with.

Dubreil & Lauzon's Olympic withdrawal.

Chait & Sakhnovsky's "Bolero". Just wrong on so many levels.

The whole Navka/Drug Test debacle; after all the controversy after Euros, it all amounted to a Big Nothing.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My highlights were:

D&L making such a triumphant return to the ice to win the silver at the Worlds (although it should have been gold!) after their terrible Olympic ordeal.

Emanuel Sandhu showing everyone at the Worlds that Yes, he can pull it together when the pressure is on after his poor showing at the Olympics.

Shawn Sawyer making such a great impression with the judges and fans at his Olympic debut.

Both Canadian pairs - Marcoux and Buntin and Dube and Davison skating their hearts out at the Worlds so now Canada can send three pairs to represent us next season.

My low was:

Jeff and Joannie losing their focus at the Worlds after their great accompishments at the Olympics.

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Stephane Lambiel's back to back World Championships. The return to grace of Brian Joubert.

The incredible win of Kimmie Meissner which was not expected at all.

Denkova and Stavisky as well as Dubreil and Lauzon in a race to the finish!

Joe

Lambiel certainly deserved his Worlds gold since he worked his butt off while being injured. Joubert was great at Worlds but that techno Matrix FS with robotic, nonfluid choreography, albeit great technical content (solid jumps and much improved CoP spins) lacked Lambiel's and, for that matter, Lysacek's musical interpretation.

Kimmie won Worlds b/c her she worked hard at maintaining consistency with her 3/3's and improving her musicality. She had a progressive buildup to it since she even technically beat Shizuka (who had a mixed bag of a season, even with a marred FS at the Japanese NAtionals) at Campbells. Who knew Shizuka would outskate the reigning (and twice) World Champ and reigning Olympic silver medalist (from 2002) Irina wh's been so scarily dominant for 2 seasons (IMO Irina should have won the GPF, she had and should have received even better PCS than Mao).

Eeyora

Final Flight
The High's

Finally seeing Mao compete on TV
Takahashi at Skate America
Kimmie's rise
Shizuka's win
Fumie's consistency
Evan's comebacks
Pang and Tong winning Worlds
The Lithuanians freedance
The rise of D/L
Olympic Ice
Dick Button earning a trip to the Olympics
Tanith earning her citizenship.
Tanith and Ben's silver medal
I/B's silver medal
Shen and Shao's medal

The Lows
Michelle Kwan's injury
Skating Idol
Peter Carruthers
Alissa Czisny's fall(s)
Having to watch Fusar-Poli and Margalio again
Not being able to see Shen and Zhao compete in top form
The Zhangs
The Lithuanians being snubbed again

flutterby1145

Rinkside
The Highs:

Evan's amazing Olympic comeback
The entertainment Johnny brought us (the cleaning fetish, "my critics can eat it")
Johnny's SP and Camille
Rena and John's throw triple Axel
Tanith becoming an American citizen in time for Torino
Tanith and Ben on the Olympic podium
Stephane's tears of joy on the Olympic podium
Shizuka's beautiful LP and winning the OGM
Shizuka's "You Raise Me Up" at the Gala in Torino
The look on Kimmie's face after her LP at Worlds
D/L winning the bronze medal at Worlds
All three American men finishing in the top 10 at the Olympics
The "revival" of American ice dancing
All three American ladies finishing in the top 10 at the Olympics

The Lows:

Michelle withdrawing from the Olympics
Dan Zhang's fall at the Olympics
Barbara Fusar-Poli's Olympic staredown
Fusar-Poli/ Margaglio's ridicuously overscored CD in Torino
D/L's fall in Torino
Sasha folding under pressure
Emanuel Sandu's meltdowns
Irina's Olympic meltdown

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
High -- Matt Savoie got to go to the Olympics and worlds, and he did well!

Even if the judges didn't seem to appreciate it (his presentation marks were much too low).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Good:

* Matthew Savoie making the Olympic and Worlds team, and having a great Olympics.
* Shizuka Arakawa's gold medal-winning performances at Torino.
* Dube/Davison and Wing/Lowe making the Olympic team.
* Dube/Davison, top 10 at the Olympics!
* Three pairs for Canada in 2007.
* Banking on the future: Sweden's OC sending Berntsson, and Israel's OC sending the Zaretskis.
* Kiira Korpi's top 10 at Calgary.
* Emily Hughes facing uncertainty and waiting and competing beautifully at Torino.
* Kimmie Meissner coming back from a disappointment at the Olympics to win Worlds.
* Silvio Smalun, part-time skater, full-time student, competing for Germany at Worlds.
* Sarah Meier within reach of the podium.
* Tomas Verner jumping to 13th at Worlds.
* Totmianina/Marinin's and Navka/Kostomarov's Olympic golds
* The Men's podium at Torino.
* Klimkin's comeback from surgery
* Nobunari Oda and Daisuke Takahashi
* Matthews/Zavozin's great skate at 4C's, after their disappointing US Nationals
* Karademir finally getting credit for what she does do on the ice
* Joubert returning to Matrix and skating like his old self at Calgary.
* Inoue/Baldwin's great leap forward in 2005-6.
* Gregory/Petukhov in the top 10 at Worlds.
* Chengjiang Li's SP to Liebestraum.

Not Good

* The substantial rules changes to jumps and lifts for pairs in an Olympic season.
* Germany's OC not sending the Beiers to Torino for the experience.
* The need for legal proceedings in France to determine the Olympic and Worlds teams, and Manzano's choice to sue for a spot on the Australian Olympic team.
* The referee not following the rules and allowing Zhang/Zhang more time than allowed to start over their Olympics LP
* The role of advertising and sponsors, and the pressure to push Kwan on the Olympic team, and which may have caused a questionable result at Japanese Nationals to ensure Ando's spot on the Ladies' team.
* All of the "I'm in," "I'm out," "I maybe in two years from now," "I'm out" pronouncements about retirement.
* Delobel/Schoenfelder's 4th place in Torino, behind Grushina/Goncharov.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Good:

* The role of advertising and sponsors, and the pressure to push Kwan on the Olympic team, and which may have caused a questionable result at Japanese Nationals to ensure Ando's spot on the Ladies' team.

Hockeyfan...

I'm so confused... how is Kwan's placement on the team connected with Ando's? Or are you referring to sponsors in general having impact on who made the team & who didn't?

I think she means the the latter. That is, I think Hockeyfan is giving two separate examples of the role of pressure from sponsors.

Actually, I think both concerns are misplaced. I think it was solely up to Michelle to decide what she was capable of doing, and USFS was prepared to do all they could to accommodate her just on general principles (one does not discommode the Kween, LOL), rather than because of specific pressure from the money people.

In Miki Ando's case, there was a certain amount of grumbling when Ando was given the Olympic berth ahead of Nakano, raising questions about whether the Japanese Federation was responding to undue financial pressure from Miki's corporate sponsors.

But the point system which allowed major credit for success in the previous two years had already been established long before. It seems a little far-fetched (I hope) to suppose that the judges manipulated the results to let Onda win fourth place ahead of Nakano (5th) so that Miki (6th) would still be ahead on points -- I don't know, it all seems sort of Byzantine to me.

MM :)