These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been!

gio

Medalist
I think that Shizuka really deserved that gold. IMO it was a beautiful program. Did Fumie deserve a medal (silver or bronze)? I think, she deserved it!!! As much as I like Sasha (I'm starting to really like that girl more and more) and Irina, I think that Fumie should be in second place. The problem is that Fumie isn't loved by judges. They always underscore her.

Mafke

Medalist
I think that Shizuka really deserved that gold. IMO it was a beautiful program. Did Fumie deserve a medal (silver or bronze)? I think, she deserved it!!! As much as I like Sasha (I'm starting to really like that girl more and more) and Irina, I think that Fumie should be in second place. The problem is that Fumie isn't loved by judges. They always underscore her.

I think maybe the optimum final podium would have been

1. Arakawa
2. Suguri
3. Cohen (after the horrible opening, the best she's ever skated an lp IMO)

but I really doubt if the judges were going to let Slute off the podium

antmanb

Record Breaker
Shizuka just PMed me to say that she saw this thread and decided that the only fair thing to do was to give her gold medal back to Speedy and return the 100,000,000 yen that she has earned so far on exhibitions, personal appearances and endorsements.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

antmanb

Record Breaker
why bring this up now? *color me confused*

Temperboy usually only starts threads with controversial (some might say downright hysterical) re-writes of hirtory of who should have won an event and then sits back to watch everyone scrambling to argue with him.

I guarantee once enough people chime in, he'll bow out of the thread and post no more leaving everyone to squabble amongst themselves!

I've been lured into pointless argument before now....my leson has been learnt!

Ant

Mafke

Medalist
Temperboy usually only starts threads with controversial (some might say downright hysterical) re-writes of hirtory of who should have won an event and then sits back to watch everyone scrambling to argue with him.
I guarantee once enough people chime in, he'll bow out of the thread and post no more leaving everyone to squabble amongst themselves!
I've been lured into pointless argument before now....my leson has been learnt!
Ant

Duly noted, perhaps we could turn the thread into some sidewalk psychoanalysis of temperboy's (if he _is_ a boy and _has_ a temper) many dysfunctions?

I'll start with:

Temperboy does inappropriate things with stuffed toys when he watches certain skaters.....

jennylovskt

Medalist
Shen/Zhou and Zhang/Zhang both had nice pity stories. Shen/
/Zhou the big comeback from the major foot injury he had. Zhang /Zhang with that fall early in the long program-being allowed to take a break and resume, and her good acting to exagerrate the injury as well helping their scores. Sorry if that sounds cynical or even cruel, it is what I saw.

Have a heart! Dan Zhang overcame the extremely painful fall and continued to finish the program was heroic. I was and am surprised that she concealed some of her pain and didn't show much to anyone. Your sound is really cruel!

Last edited:

discoduck

On the Ice
Okay here's my take. Shizuka deserved her gold medal..no question.

Shen and Zhao..deserved bronze perhaps even silver. Pity story? Come on, just two months before the games, he couldn't even walk. The fact that he got out there and skated like a rockstar says a lot for talent. They totally deserved it.

indicatoto101

On the Ice
This thread makes me giggle. Yes, I can see why Fumie might have been undermarked in PCs but from a technical standpoint, her jumps, spins, footwork and spiral are inferior to Shizuka's. Shizuka had 3 jump combos (one coming from a ina bauer and it was a 3-2-2), her spirals scored the second highest of the night and her footwork was the only level 3 of the ladies' competition. She's also a good spinner, outscoring the majority of the ladies. Personally, I think when Shizuka's on (which is rare), she's almost unbeatable. She owned her competitors at the Olympics, in practice and in the long program.

emma

Record Breaker
I3. Cohen (after the horrible opening, the best she's ever skated an lp IMO)

I know I'm a little off topic focusing on this - but I know !!! That was an amazing skate after the opening - and I still think a brilliant program (and I say this because at the beginning of the season I thought lowly of the program), and again, after the opening, far superior in emotion and performance quality than anything else there, IMO...oh well is all I can say.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I did not realize it was a requirement to only talk about current skating. There are some people that want to talk about skating 19 years ago, let alone only 1.

I just don't understand bringing up sour grapes period for the sake of bringing it up... especially during a pretty exciting season... let's focus on the negative - if we must - afterwhich...

the olympics were pretty mellow compared to the action of this season... but oh well... to each their own.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i don't see the point of arguing this a year later, but i must say that athough arakawa is often a lovely and exciting s kater, in Torino her Tutandot was only normal. regular. uninspired. Fumie deserved to be on the podium. She skated with heart and as someone metioned made the same mistakes as her teammate.I rewatched Fumie's program and she did not doubleher loop. All her jumps here landed cleanly. She deliverd the perfomance of a lifetime, and it is just unfair that she did not get credit for it. She deserved a medal. Shizukia has beautiful triple triples, but she did not do any. She doubled the loop. Her spirals and ina bauers are pretty and elegant but not the best. Her intepriation was pretty good, but we have all see much better. Nobody skated perfectly, but that was not the kind of perfomance you want to win. Not at the olympics. Fumie shoudl have won, Sasha second.... if you dare disagree with that one, watch the performance one more time and belive me you will have tears down your cheeks at by the middle. Arakawa should have gotten bronze, the Slutskya fourth.

again, i don't see the point of dissucssing this a year later. everyone talked about it all year. nothing more to say.

Last edited:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I rewatched Fumie's program and she did not doubleher loop.

Uhh...that's because Fumie didn't even attempt a Triple Loop anywhere in the program. It is her worst jump and she almost always doubled it in the past. These days she simply leaves it out of her programs.

All her jumps here landed cleanly. She deliverd the perfomance of a lifetime, and it is just unfair that she did not get credit for it.

No...Fumie doubled her second Flip. Her final jumping pass, a 2Axle/2Toe, was also wobbly on the second element.

~Z

debdelilah

On the Ice
Yet at the Olympics they go there and do the same jumps, both made a similar mistake in the long, and Shizuka is suddenly the one 16 points higher?

They didn't do the same jumps, or the same levels of other elements--Fumie had only one level 4 element, and two of her three combinations were only double-doubles. Shizuka not only had three combinations with a triple, but one of them was even a 3-2-2 after the halfway point that earned more than 8 points. Shizuka's levels were 4s across the board except for the last step sequence, which was a 3. Fumie's last step sequence was a level 2.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/1501425/detail.html

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Fumie's last step sequence was a level 2.

That I really didn't understand. I really thought 3 but I am still unsure of the ranks on StSq (or SSq?). That was one of the best "looking" to me, but what steps didn't she do or do well enough to get a L3? She even threw in the "Miky Pikey":laugh:

mskater93

Record Breaker
That was definitely L2 footwork. Not enough variety in types of turns and steps for it to be other than L2. There were only a 4 types of turns: brackets, threes, twizzles, and rockers. Some of the rockers weren't held on the exit edge and could possibly have been mistaken as flat or three turns. Most of the difficult turns went CCW. There wasn't much variety in speed throughout the SlSteps, either. I am not knocking Suguri here, just picking out what was L2 about her F/W sequence.