These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That was definitely L2 footwork. Not enough variety in types of turns and steps for it to be other than L2. There were only a 4 types of turns: brackets, threes, twizzles, and rockers. Some of the rockers weren't held on the exit edge and could possibly have been mistaken as flat or three turns. Most of the difficult turns went CCW. There wasn't much variety in speed throughout the SlSteps, either. I am not knocking Suguri here, just picking out what was L2 about her F/W sequence.

Thanks for clearing that up, I really have not been sure on the foot work sections and how to score them. She was very active during and showed good energy, but as you are pointing out what is necessary to receive higher level marks, she didn't have.:frown: That really helps my understanding of the "SlSt."?

What does the "3" after the score card (ie. SlSt3) mean? Did she intend on a Level 3 SlSt?

tarotx

On the Ice
In the short Fumie got a level 3 in her footwork according to the protocol but only level 2 in the long.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
I think Ladies results should have been these:

1st: Shizuka Arakawa - skated cleanely, a bit too safe though, but overall quite deserved the gold.
2nd: Irina Slutskaya - One fall, one minor mistake. Overall, she had a beautiful, energetic program; besides, she worked so hard on it.
3rd: Sasha Cohen - Ick, this is were she deserved to be. She skated far worse than Irina, two opening falls, some extremely minor flaws in other jumps. She was way overrated; silver is ridiculous for two falls and a not-so-exellent performance.

All the other results were square and fair. Go Zhenya, Navka, and Marinin! ;)

2nd: Irina Slutskaya - One fall, one minor mistake. Overall, she had a beautiful, energetic program; besides, she worked so hard on it.
She may have worked hard, but that was the absolute worst I have ever seen her skate. :cry:

Energetic? 2005 Worlds was energetic. At Torino, that's the last thing I would call it.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I think Ladies results should have been these:

1st: Shizuka Arakawa - skated cleanely, a bit too safe though, but overall quite deserved the gold.
3rd: Sasha Cohen - Ick, this is were she deserved to be. She skated far worse than Irina, two opening falls, some extremely minor flaws in other jumps. She was way overrated; silver is ridiculous for two falls and a not-so-exellent performance.

All the other results were square and fair. Go Zhenya, Navka, and Marinin! ;)

ITA. Except that even 3rd seems a little generous for Cohen. She herself knew she didn't deserve to be on that podium.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
She may have worked hard, but that was the absolute worst I have ever seen her skate. :cry:

Energetic? 2005 Worlds was energetic. At Torino, that's the last thing I would call it.

It looked pretty energetic to me... well, the first half of it, at least. Maybe I am not as experienced in skating judgment as you are, but I would call that a silver medal performance. Clearly, though - Sasha Cohen, as much as I love her, did not deserve second place. :laugh:

Sorry if I came off as judgmental. I was rooting for Irina to sock it to 'em, and, to me, it just didn't happen that night.

For the long program by itself, I thought it should have been Arakawa, Rochette, Suguri.

soogar

Record Breaker
ITA. Except that even 3rd seems a little generous for Cohen. She herself knew she didn't deserve to be on that podium.

No, Sasha referring to her silver medal as a gift did not mean that she believed that she was unworthy of the silver. What she meant (or at least what I think she meant) was that normally other skaters could surpass a performance with 2 falls, however that evening no one else rose to the occasion.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
No, Sasha referring to her silver medal as a gift did not mean that she believed that she was unworthy of the silver. What she meant (or at least what I think she meant) was that normally other skaters could surpass a performance with 2 falls, however that evening no one else rose to the occasion.

No, she actually changed out of her dress because she believed that the piece of crap program that she put out there that night was not going to land her on the podium. She knew she was not medal-worthy that night. I don't know why the judges didn't see that.

Well, that's the CoP. If you do this you get 3.7 points, if you do that you get 4.5 points. At the end you add up the plusses and the minuses and that's how it comes out.

Sasha actually got credit for 6 triple jumps and lost only a few GOE points for her flubs.

soogar

Record Breaker
No, she actually changed out of her dress because she believed that the piece of crap program that she put out there that night was not going to land her on the podium. She knew she was not medal-worthy that night. I don't know why the judges didn't see that.

If I am not mistaken, I think Sasha was the first skater of the final group (or at least very early). There were a lot more skaters coming after that had the potential to outscore her which is probably why she changed out of her dress.

doubleaxel

Rinkside

I completely ditto that. I think Sasha also had a surprised face when she was announced the silver medalist over Irina. Since, in essence - Irina is a better skater than Sasha, and she knows it. Ah, and you could just tell by Arakawa's gorgeous expression after her scores were announced, that she was utterly shocked she won.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Well, that's the CoP. If you do this you get 3.7 points, if you do that you get 4.5 points. At the end you add up the plusses and the minuses and that's how it comes out.

Sasha actually got credit for 6 triple jumps and lost only a few GOE points for her flubs.

That's judges manipulating the CoP. Her second FALL should have been counted as a FALL since she really did FALL as in, the majority of her weight was not over her skates, it was over BOTH of her hands, which were on the ice. And the high PCS marks that she got for that rubbish? Cheating, thats what it is.

R.D.

Record Breaker
:rofl: :rofl: I love it!! Folks still kvetching about something that happened over a year ago and nothing can be done bout it! I agree that Cohen got more than she deserved but let's move on already! :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the laugh!!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:rofl: :rofl: I love it!! Folks still kvetching about something that happened over a year ago and nothing can be done bout it! I agree that Cohen got more than she deserved but let's move on already! :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the laugh!!

I think it is a good thing to reflect on what had happened and that people are not comfortable with the standings. This is a good indication that there were issues at Olys regarding the points given that some feel still have not been addressed. I think there will be this extent (for let's face it there is always going to be someone saying "injustice") of point questioning, and it may lead the way to either helping an understanding, or indicating a change needs to occur. It CAN give insight to the issues surrounding FS at the current state of its evolution. JMO

Also re-watching the skates are going to bring up factors for discussions. Shoot, Ito's 88 is being brought up recently.

And beside that, the fact Fumie should have been on that podium - that is if "Art / expression / choreography, etc..." really does matter in FS anymore. People want that to stay an important factor in FS, and regardless of the event that continues to be brought up, the issues is Judging and the problems there in. Just a shining example of how the CoP needs to continue evolving and some of the past problems rejected years of training style and focus. Leaving people who were on target, in the cold with the new judging.

And over looking Sasha's 2 (not just a one hand but a 2 hand dog on ice recovery) and a fall. It still seems iffy to me as well.

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
ITA Seanibu!!!
Fumie deserved a medal (silver or bronze)!!! She was clean and artistic IMO! I think that the judges didn't want to have two Japanese on the podium! That's why! Just my opinion

And you know Sasha's reasons for changing her clothes because you are:

a. her shrink
b. her best friend
c. her kid sister
d. her coach
e. her mom

Oh no, I forgot - it's because hating gives you so much insight. :disapp:

(What kind of person makes being "sick to death" of 13-year-old skaters her public identity?!) :disagree: