Tightness of lacing and normal resistance of tongue against ankle flexion? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tightness of lacing and normal resistance of tongue against ankle flexion?

Lucie

Rinkside
Thanks for the advice everyone! Time for new skates.

Any suggestions for fitters in the NYC or Long Island area?
I hear most NYC skaters get fitted at Westside Skate & Stick but not my part of the world so can’t vouch for them myself. They do require appointments for fitting which is a good sign usually.

There is another on Chelsea Piers which I will not name and I only mention because people Ive spoken to advise to avoid it for skate fitting and I myself once tried to buy something online (not skates) and was shocked by their unprofessional behaviour.

Last edited:

WingedScapula

Rinkside
So now that I’m 100 certain I need new skates, any recommendations? A local shop offers Jackson Freestyles and Riedell 225 Strides.

Friday

Rinkside
So now that I’m 100 certain I need new skates, any recommendations? A local shop offers Jackson Freestyles and Riedell 225 Strides.
It's not as easy as that.

Some people here can help you recommend possible skates - if you tell us your weight/height and describe your feet as precisely as possible (arch, volume, toes, shape, possible pronation etc.) - but you still need a proper fitting.

Lucie

Rinkside
Do you mean the 223 stride or the 225 motion?
The Jackson Freestyle or the Riedell Stride would be appropriate stiffnesses but they fit differently shaped feet. In addition the Jackson freestyle will fit differently to the Jacksons you currently have as they are from the fusion range and built on a different last. Riedell are known for fitting narrow feet that are similar width heel to ball while Jacksons generally fit wider feet and the fusion last fits feet with narrow heels and wider ball of foot.

WingedScapula

Rinkside
Do you mean the 223 stride or the 225 motion?
The Jackson Freestyle or the Riedell Stride would be appropriate stiffnesses but they fit differently shaped feet. In addition the Jackson freestyle will fit differently to the Jacksons you currently have as they are from the fusion range and built on a different last. Riedell are known for fitting narrow feet that are similar width heel to ball while Jacksons generally fit wider feet and the fusion last fits feet with narrow heels and wider ball of foot.
Ah I mean 223 Stride but they also have the 255 Motion.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Definitely sounds like you need new boots for sure - but with regard to lacing, I wanted to share a trick that’s worked pretty well for me!

I skate in Jackson Debuts, which felt totally fine when I got them in 2019. Then, between COVID and an ankle injury, I hardly skated at all for a couple years. I was rusty and more than a little deconditioned when I got back on the ice, and though I still felt like I needed the lateral support from a relatively stiff boot like the Debut, the tongue felt too stiff to get a good knee bend. I tried leaving the top hook undone, but then I’d feel like my foot wasn’t secure in the heel, and the boot was looser around the ankle than I’d like.

A friend recommended that I try lacing the top hook first, then going back and lacing the remaining three hooks from bottom to top. It feels like this gives me a bit more freedom of movement at the very top of the boot, without sacrificing the security of having my ankle wrapped and supported from the sides. It might just be in my head - but it seems to be working for now! :)

WingedScapula

Rinkside
Definitely sounds like you need new boots for sure - but with regard to lacing, I wanted to share a trick that’s worked pretty well for me!

I skate in Jackson Debuts, which felt totally fine when I got them in 2019. Then, between COVID and an ankle injury, I hardly skated at all for a couple years. I was rusty and more than a little deconditioned when I got back on the ice, and though I still felt like I needed the lateral support from a relatively stiff boot like the Debut, the tongue felt too stiff to get a good knee bend. I tried leaving the top hook undone, but then I’d feel like my foot wasn’t secure in the heel, and the boot was looser around the ankle than I’d like.

A friend recommended that I try lacing the top hook first, then going back and lacing the remaining three hooks from bottom to top. It feels like this gives me a bit more freedom of movement at the very top of the boot, without sacrificing the security of having my ankle wrapped and supported from the sides. It might just be in my head - but it seems to be working for now! :)
Thanks! I’ll give it a try as a stopgap solution.

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
Agree with much of what you said here, but about asking coach/rink's skating director. They can send to fitter, that's fine, but there are many coaches and skating directors who are clueless to specific skate needs for many skaters feet. There have been even multiple examples of this on this forum alone where skaters have ended up in the wrong boots due to asking.
That's why it's best for skaters to ask for recommendations on a professional fitter, as they as in the best position to make specific recommendations. However, coaches should also be able to make general recommendations of the kind of boots/blades they would like to see the skater fitted for. The final call on what is best should only be determined after a fitting and trying the skates on.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's why it's best for skaters to ask for recommendations on a professional fitter, as they as in the best position to make specific recommendations. However, coaches should also be able to make general recommendations of the kind of boots/blades they would like to see the skater fitted for. The final call on what is best should only be determined after a fitting and trying the skates on.
Thank you for reiterating what I always say here. :)