To skid or not to skid? That is the question! | Golden Skate

To skid or not to skid? That is the question!

SparkleSk8er

Rinkside
I was curious on how you all feel about the skid before a double axel... And from those of you who are able to do one, do you do it with or without a skid? Which way is easier for you?

Perry

Rinkside
When I first was learning one, I did it without a skid, but as I worked on it, I gradually developed one. It became less drastic over time, though. I would try both for a while and see which works for you.

SparkleSk8er

Rinkside
Thanks. I had been wondering about that. I hear the skid helps you get up into the air better. I have been trying it with a skid, but I can't do it on my jumping foot!!

How long do you think it will take to master a double axel? I really want to have one in the next eight months. :rolleye:

Perry

Rinkside
I tried my first one when I was about ten, but I didn't really start working on them for about a year after that. When I was really working on them, it was during the summer, so I was skating for six or so hours a day. It took me about a summer of really hard work to land them consistently, and then about another year to get them decent. After that though, I got badly injured, and was off for two years, and I haven't been allowed to attempt them since. Hopefully, in the next few months though...

If you really want to get one quickly, and not get an overuse injury I would recommend working on A LOT of singles. If your single is perfect, all that's different on a double is pulling in. If you're single isn't really great though, you'll never do the double.

CanuckSk8r

Rinkside
I am all about the non skid entry for the axel... after all the take off is an EDGE. There will obviously be a small one due to the force and momentum of the take off edge, but it still should be slight.
A skid into the axel is like a toe axel being considered and toe loop. Not quite right, close, but not right.
Just my opinion.
Good luck, it will take the better part of a winter season with a lot of bumps, bruises, and wet bums, and you will "get it" then "lose it" before it stays. Keep with it though, it's an awesome feeling when it's yours!!!!!!

sk8kristi

Rinkside
I prefer no skid because that's how I do it, but whatever makes you do it well, I think you should do.

also: for sparkle It has taken me a LONG time to get my double axel clean, at least four years, and all of the people with clean double axels that train with/near me have probably taken at least 2 1/2-4 years.

Last edited:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I skid my single axel. It's just the way it is, and since the jump looks pretty darn good (especially for a 40 year old :p ) I don't mess with it. As long as the skid is straight, that is.

I have a skating friend, though, who insists that the skid is bad technique and that judges shouldn't pass skaters who have one. Well, we went to Marshalls the other day - sat in the 11th row - and every last guy who did the 3 axel in front of us did it with a skid. I was going see, see! :biggrin:

I have absolutely no help for you on the double axel. I want to go in a harness one day and try one, just to say I did. I've seen a lot of kids (and one adult - how cool is she?) working on it, and they spend an awful lot of time sitting on the ice, including some nasty falls - skid or no skid. Good luck on it!

Jenn

Spectator
sk8kristi -

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you skating before you attempted a double jump? I've only been figure skating a year and a half and just started working on my waltz jump - but I'm so anxious to get to the larger the jumps! Also, sometimes I just feel it's a help to have some kind of time table, a sort of motivation and a light at the end of the tunnel!

sk8kristi

Rinkside
Jenn said:
sk8kristi -

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you skating before you attempted a double jump? I've only been figure skating a year and a half and just started working on my waltz jump - but I'm so anxious to get to the larger the jumps! Also, sometimes I just feel it's a help to have some kind of time table, a sort of motivation and a light at the end of the tunnel!

Well, I started skating at about four and I think I started landing a double salchow at about nine or ten. I'm not too sure when I actually started to try them However, I know many people who have started doing doubles really quickly after they start skating because they have a natural talent, I guess. Good Luck on your single and double jumps!!!

SparkleSk8er

Rinkside
I started skating just when I turned six, and got all my doubles when I was ten and then started working on the double axel when I was eleven. So, I've been trying them for about three months now. I can't really do a skid, so I have been doing them off clean edges, but even though they are all the way around, I have trouble standing up, so I fall. :sheesh:

love2sk8

Rinkside
I started skating when I was two, took private lessons at 6, landed first axel at 9, got all my doubles at 10-11, started working on double axels, and landed my first one at 12, and first triple at 13.

It takes so much time to get everything consistent though...

I like the double axel with only a slight skid..my single axel isn't skidded at all, but with the double, it becomes a bit skidded because of the momentum. Most of the top skaters have a slight skid I think, on their triple axel.

Basically though, it's whatever you feel comfortable with...some people cant do it without a skid and vice versa.

ceg15

On the Ice
My coach is still trying to get me to stop skidding on my signle axel..haha..! :laugh: I don't know about the double axel-proabably just what works for each individual. Everyone is different.

CanadianSkater

Rinkside
Doesn't Matter

My coach told me that it doesn't really matter whether u have a skid or not (but I guess it might be a better jump without one) :think:
Some people think skiding increases the height of the jump but what I would suggest is starting off slow...try doing single axels from a stand still (this will force you to push off the toe on your take-off foot) This hopefully will increase your height. Also...practice a lot of back spins..........
These pointers really helped me to get the double axel so whoever is having trouble I hope this helps....I know how u feel! One more thing...DON'T THINK SO MUCH. Do what feels right and just JUMP! Good Luck!

alain707

Rinkside
Is it only possible to do an axel without any skid ? I don't think so, you need to have one foot on the ice to get the momentum before takeoff, so in any case you have to start the rotation on the ice. Seeing skaters at elite level, most of them have about a quarter turn on the ice before being lifted in the air, so that's probably the standard skid for a double/triple axel. Now, the issue may be for those who have a longer skid. It's kind of cheating the jump, as the more rotation you do on the ice, the less remains to do in the air. If you look at ladies skaters who ventured to try the triple axel recently (and here I am not speaking of Midori Ito, hers was textbook ..and of course it was not recently either), they visibly lengthen the skid until a half turn is done on the ice before takeoff. I read that the first triple axelers in the 80's (such as Brian Orser) used to do the same (I haven't checked that myself). Another consequence of a long skid is you lose horizontal velocity, and will have a poorer flow out of the jump.

bladebabe13

Rinkside
ery body at my rink does a skid, but I dont. And my axels rly high, i think how long depends on how much u practice n how much u care!!! skid wise, i dont no how to do a skid!!!