Tonya Harding news | Golden Skate

Tonya Harding news

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
"You name it, she threw it," a weary Harding said. "She threw a lot more than I anticipated and, you know, it was her night.
"She got the one opportunity to fight Tonya Harding and, of course, that gives you that extra energy and everything else. ... Let her have that 15 minutes of fame."

She makes it sound like such a big deal... the more she loses the more people aren't going to take her seriously in the ring...

then again she could be suffering from the Mike Weiss syndrome... press twisting her words

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I feel sorry for her that her life has come to nothing but a joke... :(

nuggetr

Rinkside
TRAxel said:
I feel sorry for her that her life has come to nothing but a joke... :(
I used to feel sorry for her also but I think she just thinks she is so great that it just gets the best of her..It is a shame as she could have had been a good skater, but greed got the best of her...She is old enough to relize how her actions and words are only hurting her. :mad:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Quote from the article:

"She got the one opportunity to fight Tonya Harding and, of course, that gives you that extra energy and everything else. ... Let her have that 15 minutes of fame."

Well, her face may be beaten up, but her ego is sure still intact. :rolleye: Good grief, she's pathetic

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Despite a blackened left eye and swollen nose, Harding said she is not going to back down from that dream."

I just wonder what she is going to look like in another 5 years. :rolleye:

Dee

bronxgirl

Medalist
Do women box with protective headgear? (or will we have to worry about Tonya dealing with the aftereffects of repeated blows to the head over the years as well as her ego?)

Lee

Rinkside
bronxgirl said:
Do women box with protective headgear? (or will we have to worry about Tonya dealing with the aftereffects of repeated blows to the head over the years as well as her ego?)
There was no protective headgear -- the photos in the Edmonton Journal (maybe it was the Calgary Herald -- the past week has been a blur) showed her getting pounded pretty solidly.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Lee said:
There was no protective headgear -- the photos in the Edmonton Journal (maybe it was the Calgary Herald -- the past week has been a blur) showed her getting pounded pretty solidly.

Lee:

I saw the fight on the sports report of the evening news. Harding looked like she was getting "pummelled" by the other gal. She did not seem to be able to stand up for herself and looked out of shape - even for boxing. It's just too sad.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Boxing fans booed the self-styled spitfire of U.S. sports when she entered the ring and leapt to their feet cheering as she was pummeled by the 22-year-old Johnson.

"People made money off the bad-girl image and now it's my turn," said Harding.
Well, if Tara can use her fame to get acting jobs, then why can't Tonya use hers to get boxing jobs?

The sad part is that Tonya is still letting people use her. She brings media attention to a fledgling sport, but she'll never make it big in it as she doesn't have the skills or the personality. Women's boxing will become more popular and Tonya will eventually be forgotten and left broke again.

I have a phone bill too, I usually pay it by going to some boring 9 to 5 job that will never get my name in the papers. This girl will never learn.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
berthes ghost said:
Well, if Tara can use her fame to get acting jobs, then why can't Tonya use hers to get boxing jobs?

Their fame is though a different kind of fame, isn´t it, LOL? I don ´t remember what would be the appropriate word for Tonia´s, or is it notorious?

Pookie

Final Flight
I don ´t remember what would be the appropriate word for Tonia´s, or is it notorious?

I think it would be infamous.

Definition from Merriam-Webster:

1 : having a reputation of the worst kind
2 : causing or bringing infamy : DISGRACEFUL
3 : convicted of an offense bringing infamy.

Yup, I think that fits. :laugh:

Although notorious is very good, too.

Definition from Merriam-Webster

generally known and talked of; especially : widely and unfavorably known

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
You're welcome, Marjaana. But from reading your posts, your English is as good as mine. (and your grammar is probably better) :) :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

Will we ever hear a story about Tonya Harding that doesn't show her attempting to exploit her bad girl image? I cannot imagine people actually paying money to watch this woman try to box. Tonya is 33 years old, and unfortunately, it appears that she has yet to grow up and mature as a responsible adult. I'm sure many of us have seen her whiny, chip-on-the-shoulder interviews during the past decade as she has tried to blame everybody but herself for her involvement with the deplorable January 1994 attack on Nancy Kerrigan.

A number of years ago she received a second chance to skate professionally, and it appeared that, perhaps, Tonya would redeem herself and be welcomed back into the fold. Alas, her comeback was short lived, as she made the headlines with yet another domestic incident in which the police were called in. She was dropped by her professional agent, and that's the last time we've heard of her skating as a profesisonal.

This woman is simply bad news, plain and simple. It is a tragedy, but that's the way it is. :(