U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 49 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

When I first took an interest in figure skating, I liked Michelle Kwan the best and Irina was the big, bad boogieman who kept Michelle from winning everything. I did not know anything about skating and I thought it was fun to say, "Yay, Michelle" and "Boo, Irina."

I was taught better by a bunch of school children who once came in three buses to a cheesefest here, where both Michelle and Irina performed. They brought two huge banners, one for Michelle and the other for Irina, and cheered them both with equal vigor and enthusiasm. (In fact, they cheered their heads off for all the skaters.)

The other person who showed me the error of my ways was a Golden Skate poster at that time named Exidra. A Canadian, he was the biggest Irina fan on GS and FSU. Excidra was was uniformly patient and good humored in pointing how how wonderful his favorite gal was, he never got mad, and he always showed great courtesy and respect for other skaters who were the rivals of his favorite. I decided, "I want to be lkike that." :)

They sound like good role models, Math.

Layfan

Record Breaker
And here we go!

Skate Canada -- Czysny
Cup of China -- Nagasu
Skate America -- Flatt
Cup of Russia -- Wagner
Eric Bompard -- Nagasu (gold), Czisny (silver)

Nagasu (1st and 1st), Czisny (1st and 2nd) and Flatt (1st and 2nd) all make the Grand Prix Final.

Yey!! :clap:

Czisny and Flatt have the best chance given the fields at SC and SA. I wonder if that could be added pressure - coming in as favorites, sort of. Well, probably not for Rachael - I've never even seen Rachael look like she's feeling pressure - but for Alissa.

ETA: I do hope one of these newcomers wows me. I'm getting rather bored with the current situation, I must say.

Finally! ;)

No, I'm kidding. But I too want U.S. ladies skating to have much more life. However, I do also want those who have been around for a while to have a great year ...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ha! wishful thinking.

SC has a depleted field but Phaneuf could surprise people. If Czisny has another one of her implosions she has no chance.

ETA: I do hope one of these newcomers wows me. I'm getting rather bored with the current situation, I must say.

Phaneuf had four falls at the last Skate Canada. Then she landed six triples at worlds. The girl confuses me.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I've been enjoying watching Naomi Nari Nam skate to "Little Bitty Pretty Thing" (http://www.megavideo.com/?v=CFM25JN2). Ah memory lane, she reminds me so much of Mirai Nagasu, or vice versa, as the case may be. :) The same joy & effervescence, as well as spins, et al. And already Mirai has come farther than poor NNN was never able to do because of her hip injury & subsequent surgery. Here's hoping more great things to come for Mirai, and the rest of the American Ladies, of course. :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
So much gloom and doom. Instead of fixating on Rachael not beating Carolina, join me on the sunny side of the street!

Skate Canada -- Czysny
Cup of China -- Nagasu
Skate America -- Flatt
Cup of Russia -- Wagner
Eric Bompard -- Nagasu (gold), Czisny (silver)

Nagasu (1st and 1st), Czisny (1st and 2nd) and Flatt (1st and 2nd) all make the Grand Prix Final.

What are they smoking on the sunny side of the street? ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Was reading over at IN that Agnes could make history this weekend by becoming the first Lady to win a senior GP event in their debut performance.

She might have a good chance and it will be interesting to see how the judges score her if she skates clean.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Was reading over at IN that Agnes could make history this weekend by becoming the first Lady to win a senior GP event in their debut performance.

She might have a good chance and it will be interesting to see how the judges score her if she skates clean.
Zawadzki will skate first in the SP due to her ISU current World ranking. Her planned jumps are 3T+3T, 3Lz and 2A and she has scored over 60 points twice so far this season -- at a club competition in Colorado Springs in September and at Southwestern Regionals (video of her SP is on IN) earlier this month.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I do hope IN isn't suffering from delusions of grandeur. ;)

I'm half-kidding, of course. :p

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I posted this quiz question over at FSUniverse........

Who was the last lady, of any nationality, to win her senior ISU debut? :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I do hope IN isn't suffering from delusions of grandeur. ;)

I'm half-kidding, of course. :p

Didn't you just post that you are "getting bored" with the current ladies?
So here is a young skater making her senior debut who has been skating pretty well so far this season.

She does all of the triples, has a 3x3 and a monster 3 Lz. If she skates reasonably well she should be on the podium. If she skates her best the other Ladies at SC might not have enough tricks to beat her.

I have no idea how Agnes will do this weekend but it is not delusional to mention her potential.

I've been enjoying watching Naomi Nari Nam skate to "Little Bitty Pretty Thing" (http://www.megavideo.com/?v=CFM25JN2). Ah memory lane, she reminds me so much of Mirai Nagasu, or vice versa, as the case may be. :) The same joy & effervescence, as well as spins, et al. And already Mirai has come farther than poor NNN was never able to do because of her hip injury & subsequent surgery. Here's hoping more great things to come for Mirai, and the rest of the American Ladies, of course. :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I loved Nam! I was so disappointed when her career was ended by injury, and I rooted hard for her when she resurfaced as a pairs skater with Leftheris.

One thing I love about skating fans is that at least some of us tend to keep good skaters in our memories, even if they just pass through for a small amount of time. A lot of these brief comets, especially the ladies singles skaters, are so young, and often their skating career ends before it really gains a foothold. As a result they don't have the luxury of a stellar career to look back on, a place on the list of all-time greats, and enduring nationwide (or worldwide) fame. It's nice to know that they do make a mark, and that what they did will continue to matter in some permanent way.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmm, I think I have to disagree with you a bit, Olympia, but only a little bit about all-time greats & endurance. It depends on quality, for me personally, not quantity. Of course longevity is a factor, but I make exceptions for those comets that come along only once-in-a-lifetime. Oksana Baiul would be one of those rare exceptions for me. In fact a favorite poster of mine back at Adrian Chew's old f.s. board from the 90's said it best. Her username was yogurtslinger, and this is what she said when fans were arguing about Michelle vs. Oksana, et al:

"The sun has to be acknowledged by virtue of its constancy -- it's steady position high in the sky. But the blazing comet that lasts only a short time is something quite valuable and amazing as well.

In the future when both the sun and the comet become only memories, I think people will recall them with equal vibrancy and accord them both important positions in history."

Regards NNN, she was not only an exceptional skater, but she also has a big heart. :) I recall back in 1999/2000 when she was touring with COI, she went out and bought Oksana Baiul a Mother's Day card, knowing Oksana's mother passed away when she was 13 yrs. old. This act of pure kindness is something I won't forget, especially coming from a 13 yr. old herself, it says a lot about her...

BACK ON TOPIC, I have to say I am getting caught up in all the Agnes Zawadzki mania! *cheering* I can't wait for her to make her debut at SC as well! :)^D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AGNES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Didn't you just post that you are "getting bored" with the current ladies?
So here is a young skater making her senior debut who has been skating pretty well so far this season.

She does all of the triples, has a 3x3 and a monster 3 Lz. If she skates reasonably well she should be on the podium. If she skates her best the other Ladies at SC might not have enough tricks to beat her.

I have no idea how Agnes will do this weekend but it is not delusional to mention her potential.

I did mention I was kidding- but still, mentioning that she could podium is one thing...declaring her the winner is another.

But don't let that make you think that I don't want her to do well, because I do. I just tend to want to wait a bit before jumping on any bandwagon. Plus, I never cheerlead any individual skater, ever. Those who have "known" me on here since the start should be familiar with this. ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I did mention I was kidding- but still, mentioning that she could podium is one thing...declaring her the winner is another.

But don't let that make you think that I don't want her to do well, because I do. I just tend to want to wait a bit before jumping on any bandwagon. Plus, I never cheerlead any individual skater, ever. Those who have "known" me on here since the start should be familiar with this. ;)

I think the Ladies field looks a little underwhelming at SC - and part of the "hype" might be because Agnes could win it with her best skate
If she did it would be a first - so why not get behind her and join mathman "on the sunny side of the street." :)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Over at FSUniverse, some Canadian posters are watching live feed of the practice sessions. The feed appears not to be available outside Canada. They say Cynthia and Alissa are looking very strong, better than the other girls. Sarah appears to have been injured.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well I do wonder whether or not we are going to get a separate thread going for Agnes.

I don't get the Agnes hype. I see much more potential and star quality in Christina. Agnes will likely end up like the rest of Tom Z's skaters.....good, but boring.