U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 50 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, one could hardly describe Ryan Bradley as boring. Inconsistent yes, boring, no.

Perhaps Agnes, too, will surprise you.

b-man

Final Flight
Saw a Phil Hersh article. It said Nagasu has been released by US figure skating officials to compete in CoC. Apparently Phil had just talked with Frank Carroll by phone. Frank reportedly told Hersh that he had a knockdown, dragout with Mirai a few weeks ago because she wasn't working hard enough. It also quoted Frank as saying its never easy with Mirai.

If Frank is trying to work Mirai harder, maybe he believes she is not ready yet. Or maybe its just business as usual.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Saw a Phil Hersh article. It said Nagasu has been released by US figure skating officials to compete in CoC. Apparently Phil had just talked with Frank Carroll by phone. Frank reportedly told Hersh that he had a knockdown, dragout with Mirai a few weeks ago because she wasn't working hard enough. It also quoted Frank as saying its never easy with Mirai.

Interesting, have you a link?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A Frank vs Mirai knockdown, eh? That would have been worth being a fly on the wall to witness.

Mirai has a feistiness and a frankness that is very appealing. She's very lively and passionate. She lets you know what she's thinking at all times, very much wearing her heart on her sleeve. I like her! :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mirai has a feistiness and a frankness that is very appealing. She's very lively and passionate. She lets you know what she's thinking at all times, very much wearing her heart on her sleeve. I like her! :)

Not your typical ice princess. I like her candor and honesty. I hope it doesn't go away with age (although I bet it will).

As a certain skater proclaims in her twitter bio, I'd say it applies to Nagasu too: viewer discretion advised. ;)

fairly4

Medalist
agnes should been gotten a ding on her 2nd triple, is was ur's but other wise skate was okay, a bit slow
but she shows more presentation than rachel.
she should have been relaxed no pressure going into it.
she is light on her feet, i though her lutz looked ur'ed but it wasn't her was how she landed and brought her foot around.
nice job.not as wonderful as kanako who looked like she was having fun, but decent non the less

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm happy for her, I'm glad she won, and I'm glad that this dark cloud hanging over the American ladies has finally been lifted (temporarily)- we FINALLY have a winner of an international event for the first time in three years. THREE years!!

That excitement, of course, is tempered by the fact that we're talking about Czisny here who did it- a skater who always seems to start out well and then fizzle out. The big difference I see in her is that she appears a little "looser" than I remember her being- I think the change in her technique has really upped her scoring potential. Maybe she will benefit from the phenomenon of "wiggle room" I was talking about earlier. I mean, they gave her 116 in the FS- WITH A FALL. Clean Czisny last year (or was it '08?) scored in the low 100s.

As for the other two ladies, I'll copy what I said from the thread in the SC folder:

And not a bad debut by Agnes Z. Not the best freeskate but then again, some slack can be cut given it was the debut. However, that said- I still don't see what's so great about her- she does seem to have large jumps though, but that's about all I could see.

Gilles, well, can't get much worse than that. To finish last in a field as underwhelming as that...wow. Again, though, better to bomb now than later.

Add this to Flatt's great performance at NHK, and the eggs laid by Wagner and Zhang at NHK.

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
I'm happy for her, I'm glad she won, and I'm glad that this dark cloud hanging over the American ladies has finally been lifted (temporarily)- we FINALLY have a winner of an international event for the first time in three years. THREE years!!

Well, I think this year the absence of some key competitors - among them Joannie Rochette and Yuna Kim - as well as Mao Asada's jump problems make it a lot easier to score a GP win than it would be otherwise.

And here we go!

Skate Canada -- Czisny
Cup of China -- Nagasu
Skate America -- Flatt
Cup of Russia -- Wagner
Eric Bompard -- Nagasu (gold), Czisny (silver)

Nagasu (1st and 1st), Czisny (1st and 2nd) and Flatt (1st and 2nd) all make the Grand Prix Final.

Skate Canada: CHECK.

Up next, GO MIRAI! :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Skate Canada: CHECK.

Up next, GO MIRAI! :)

I think Mirai can totally win CoC this week but she'll have to be on her game as she has Ando and Suzuki as competition, and maybe even Leonova though in my mind Mirai is way superior. Should be an exciting competition, I expect it will be a battle between Mirai and Miki for the gold, Akiko and Alena to make the podium, and then the rest of the competition should also be exciting as we have a lot of comparable ladies - Joshi, Amanda, Kristiene, Min-Jung, etc so the competition between those ladies should also be fun to watch.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I seem to recall somebody saying something about Alissa having to compete at Sectionals. This is because her 2nd GP event does not conflict closely enough. Oh well. :sheesh: