U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 48 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Alissa is another matter. She is with a new coach and we will see her this weekend.
No predictions but I would not be surprised if she medals at SC.

It would be extremely significant if she won. No U.S. lady has won any senior, A-level, ISU event since Kimmie won Skate America in 2007. ( That’s right boys and girls …. 3 years! )
A U.S. victory could signal a resurgence of our ladies’ program. :clap:

janetfan

Match Penalty
It would be extremely significant if she won. No U.S. lady has won any senior, A-level, ISU event since Kimmie won Skate America in 2007. ( That’s right boys and girls …. 3 years! )
A U.S. victory could signal a resurgence of our ladies’ program. :clap:

I dunno Bob. I like Alissa but even if she was to win SC I don't see her as the future of US Skating.
Now if Agnes was to win - being that she is just starting her senior career - that might have more significance for me.

Cynthia could win and so could Makarova. I think it is a very unpredictable field.

Mirai's humor seems to be fully recovered. From twitter:

"I told my mom my legs are worth gold....she told me that it's unfortunate that my brain doesn't have the same value. LOL "

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

"I told my mom my legs are worth gold....she told me that it's unfortunate that my brain doesn't have the same value. LOL "

God gave Mirai her legs and her brain ..........

........................... but he let her pick her nose. :rofl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
No U.S. lady has won any senior, A-level, ISU event since Kimmie won Skate America in 2007. ( That’s right boys and girls …. 3 years! )

We know, we know...must you keep reminding us?

Anyway, SC might be the Americans' best shot at winning anything this year.

janetfan

Match Penalty
We know, we know...must you keep reminding us?

Anyway, SC might be the Americans' best shot at winning anything this year.

They had a sensational shot to not only win NHK but also to pick up multiple medals. They - Rachael and Ashley - just weren't good enough to beat an injured Caro and an inexperienced, imploding Kanako.

Skate America looks like a clean skate will be enough to win it. Problem is we just saw an under the weather.,, less than stellar Caro beat our girls at NHK. Not sure if Rachael can win anything, even against a weak field without her 3x3's.

I can't remember who Mirai is facing in her two events - but if she skates clean there are only a few Ladies who can beat her.
If, if, if.... :)

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I dunno Bob. I like Alissa but even if she was to win SC I don't see her as the future of US Skating.
Now if Agnes was to win - being that she is just starting her senior career - that might have more significance for me.

Cynthia could win and so could Makarova. I think it is a very unpredictable field.

Hee!! I love Mirai.

ITA re Alissa and Skate Canada. I want her to win and everything and it'd be great to have the first international U.S. victory in three years but it'd be against a so-so field. More than that, I just wish Alissa a good skate that she can be proud of. For all the girls.

And this is Agnes's senior debut, correct? I'm kinda excited for her.

It would be extremely significant if she won. No U.S. lady has won any senior, A-level, ISU event since Kimmie won Skate America in 2007.

True, but Alissa won the Nebelhorn Trophy in both 2008 AND 2009. :clap:

They had a sensational shot to not only win NHK but also to pick up multiple medals. They - Rachael and Ashley - just weren't good enough to beat an injured Caro and an inexperienced, imploding Kanako.

So much gloom and doom. Instead of fixating on Rachael not beating Carolina, join me on the sunny side of the street! Rachael beat Murakami, Korpi, Wagner, Gedevanishvili, Zhang, Asada, V. Hegelson, Marrocco, Mccorkell and Szmiet.

Once she gets her triple-triples rolling, maybe Rachael will be able to beat Lacoste, Meite, Gedevanishvili (again), Mccorkell (again), Kostner (!), Murakami (again), Kwak, Hegelson (again), Gilles and Zhang (again), and become the first U.S. lady to win a Grand Prix event since...Mirai Nagasu, 2010 Cup of China (where she beat Ando, Shizuki and Leonova, as well as Victoria Hegelson's little sister, Joshi Hegelson). :yes:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
God gave Mirai her legs and her brain ..........

........................... but he let her pick her nose. :rofl:

I've never seen Mirai pick her nose. I have watch Yuna stuff a large wad of tissue paper into her nose on camera, however. Hope Mirai will recover from her injuries soon.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Alissa will somehow not be Zamboning the ice this weekend and do well at SC. I've never seen Zawadzki so she is a mystery to me.

Believe it or not, I kind of like Flatt's new haircut... don't know if it will help her with PCS, though.

janetfan

Match Penalty
True, but Alissa won the Nebelhorn Trophy in both 2008 AND 2009. :clap:

So much gloom and doom. Instead of fixating on Rachael not beating Carolina, join me on the sunny side of the street! Rachael beat Murakami, Korpi, Wagner, Gedevanishvili, Zhang, Asada, V. Hegelson, Marrocco, Mccorkell and Szmiet.

Once she gets her triple-triples rolling, maybe Rachael will be able to beat Lacoste, Meite, Gedevanishvili (again), Mccorkell (again), Kostner (!), Murakami (again), Kwak, Hegelson (again), Gilles and Zhang (again), and become the first U.S. lady to win a Grand Prix event since...Mirai Nagasu, 2010 Cup of China (where she beat Ando, Shizuki and Leonova, as well as Victoria Hegelson's little sister, Joshi Hegelson). :yes:

Why does stating the facts have to come off as "doom and gloom?
I was replying to the post about the three year winless streak. I don't see coming in second at NHK as a reason to proclaim the USA ladies are back. It was as you stated earlier a good start for Rachael. I think Rachael has a very good chance to win SA and possibly medal at the GPF.

Is it gloomy to wonder if Rachael can beat other top skaters when they are on their game? I don't think she can but hope she proves me wrong. I have nothing against her - just wish the USA Ladies were doing better. Losing to an injured Caro is not my idea of doing great. If you think differently that is fine. I accept your opinion but don't see why I have to change mine just so your favorite can be seen as having accomplished more than she did.

Ashley was a bigger disappointment . Her skating - as layfan mentioned - seemed to lack any outstanding characteristics and she did not execute her programs very well either.

On a more cheerful note I was happy to see Kanako win bronze at her first senior GP event. :hb:

Last edited:
I guess what I am saying is this.

Let Rachael do what Rachael can do. What can Rachael do? Well, if she gets her triple-triples on track she is capable of scoring a 180-point competition before international judges. She can accomplish this by presenting a full complement of solid jumps, receiving not much extra in GOEs and average PCSs.

Rachael Flatt is not standing in the way of U.S. skaters who aspire to lead a resurgence of American skating.

It is not Rachael's fault if Agnes Zawadzki does not score 210 points and lead the U.S. to new glory.

It is not Rachael's fault if Christina Gao does not score 210 points and lead the U.S. to new glory.

it is not Rachael's fault if Michelle and Sasha don't come back, score 210 points, and lead the U.S. to new glory.

If Mirai Nagasu scores 210 points and leads the U.S. to new glory, good for Mirai -- but is that a reason continualy to harp on Racahel's faults?

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I guess what I am saying is this.

Let Rachael do what Rachael can do. What can Rachael do? Well, if she gets her triple-triples on track she is capable of scoring a 180-point competition before international judges. She can accomplish this by presenting a full complement of solid jumps, receiving not much extra in GOEs and average PCSs.

It is not Rachael's fault if Agnes Zawadzki does not score 210 points and lead the U.S. to new glory.

It is not Rachael's fault if Christina Gao does not score 210 points and lead the U.S. to new glory.

it is not Rachael's fault if Michelle and Sasha don't come back, score 210 points, and lead the U.S. to new glory.

If Mirai Nagasu scores 210 points and leads the U.S. to new glory, good for Mirai -- but is that a reason to say, nyah, nyah, Rachael?

If Rachael ever wins a senior ISU Intl event I will be happy for her and for US Skating. If she ever wins a Worlds or Olympic medal I will be happy for her and US Skating.

Whether she does or doesn't I am not about to think of her the way I think of Michelle or Sasha.
Sasha has her critics - often led by you - but her record will never be matched by Rachael, Ashley, Caroline, or Alissa. The four of them combined won't ever equal Sasha's achievements.

Put it this way math - I feel the same way about Sasha as you apparently feel about Rachael.
No reason we have to have the same favorites and I accept that Sasha was never a favorite of yours. Why then do you expect me and 90% of the board to feel the same way about Rachael as you do.
I don't get that part.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sasha?

Nah, Sasha's cool with me. The only skater i was ever mean to was Irina Slutskaya. My bad. I regret it now.

Edited to add: In fact, I greatly regret it. :)

http://www.slutskaya.by.ru/foto/slutskaya.jpg

I just went back and read the post you responded to first. No need for a fight over this.
I stand by what I said - Rachael was not good enough to beat a Caro limited by an injury at NHK.

The streak lives on :disapp:

ETA: If a bunch of us worked at the same place this could make a terrific office pool:
Which USA Lady will end the Intl winless streak - and at which event?
Counting the GP's, 4CC and Worlds - will it happen this season? If so which girl will do it and at which event?

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The streak lives on :disapp:

If a bunch of us worked at the same place this could make a terrific office pool:
Which USA Lady will end the Intl winless streak - and at which event?
Counting the GP's, 4CC and Worlds - will it happen this season? If so which girl will do it and at which event?

I actually have a feeling we may have a good chance here. This Grand Prix is a weakened, depleated field. Several top ladies are absent, injured or in a serious slump. There are a few U.S. ladies who COULD pull off a victory.

Yes, yes of course, I would feel better about a victory against a full strength field.

And here we go!

Skate Canada -- Czysny
Cup of China -- Nagasu
Skate America -- Flatt
Cup of Russia -- Wagner
Eric Bompard -- Nagasu (gold), Czisny (silver)

Nagasu (1st and 1st), Czisny (1st and 2nd) and Flatt (1st and 2nd) all make the Grand Prix Final.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ha! wishful thinking.

SC has a depleted field but Phaneuf could surprise people. If Czisny has another one of her implosions she has no chance.

ETA: I do hope one of these newcomers wows me. I'm getting rather bored with the current situation, I must say.

Last edited:
May I ask why? (My curiosity is boundless, but you reserve the right not to answer.)

When I first took an interest in figure skating, I liked Michelle Kwan the best and Irina was the big, bad boogieman who kept Michelle from winning everything. I did not know anything about skating and I thought it was fun to say, "Yay, Michelle" and "Boo, Irina."

I was taught better by a bunch of school children who once came in three buses to a cheesefest here, where both Michelle and Irina performed. They brought two huge banners, one for Michelle and the other for Irina, and cheered them both with equal vigor and enthusiasm. (In fact, they cheered their heads off for all the skaters.)

The other person who showed me the error of my ways was a Golden Skate poster at that time named Exidra. A Canadian, he was the biggest Irina fan on GS and FSU. Excidra was was uniformly patient and good humored in pointing how how wonderful his favorite gal was, he never got mad, and he always showed great courtesy and respect for other skaters who were the rivals of his favorite. I decided, "I want to be lkike that." :)