U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 57 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was interested (and surprised) to find out that on the GP this fall, Rachael and Victoria were the only 2 skaters to successfully complete all 5 triples correctly. I'm beginning to think there should be a point or 2 bonus for this, since it has become rare.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
^ Miki used to work with Wilson. I wonder why she stopped?

Didn't she do Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence with him?

I kind of think she went to Morozov because of Shiz. The two are always on ice shows together (leading me to think they are close friends) & I know that Miki admires Shiz a lot. Miki also went to Morozov right after the Olympic season, probably inspired by Shizuka's great Olympic showing. Morozov's a coach/choreographer, so it would be redundant to use Wilson.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was interested (and surprised) to find out that on the GP this fall, Rachael and Victoria were the only 2 skaters to successfully complete all 5 triples correctly. I'm beginning to think there should be a point or 2 bonus for this, since it has become rare.

This would certainly seem to reward something important, having developed a full skill set in re: jumping. And rewarding all-around skills seems to be something COP generally strives for. I think this would be a very worthy addition to the system, getting a bonus for putting for mastering all 5 jumps and taking the risk of putting them out there rather than cherry picking and presenting only one's best jumps.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I stumbled across an article on twitter that may be of relevance to this thread. She is not one of the Contenders we speak of, but apparently aspires to be one. I like it when skaters aren't afraid to state their ambitions.

http://daniellecandela.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/melissa-bulangagui-gears-up-for-nationals/

...Melissa Bulanhagui is one of the U.S’s rising stars in figure skating. Melissa, a 20 year old college student and full time competitive figure skater has been on the fast track to the 2011 National Championships in Greensboro, NC. After her third place finish in Germany ‘s Nebelhorn Trophy, 1st place finish at South Atlantics, and a 2nd place finish in Eastern Sectionals, Melissa is focusing on her next few months of training.
Melissa has been training at the University of Delaware for almost 12 years with Figure Skating Olympian Ron Ludington, and his wife Karen Ludington.

[snip]

She has set the bar high for herself, expecting nothing but her personal best. When I asked her what she expected this year at nationals, she responded, “My goal this year is to skate two solid clean programs. I want to be in the final warm up after the short program, and I hope to break the top six.

Well...CAN she do it? What do y'all think?

Personally, the way everyone's been skating this season, who knows. I think if I had to bet on any newcomer breaking through at Nats, it'd be Gao. But we've had surprises before. Didn't Brittney Rizo (sp?) make the final group once?

Last edited:
For Rachael, making the GPF is a definite step in the right direction!

As to which skaters are doing all 5 triples correctly in an LP, or even attempting that feat:

Those trying all 5 and succeeding:
Rachael & Victoria Helgessen have actually done it. (Rachael at NHK, Helgessen at SA)
An injured Rachael at SA, indeed had all 5 types of triples in her program, but her 3T in the 2A3T combo was underrotated. At NHK, she completed one of each jump type successfully. (It was her second flip and lutz that were judged UR).
So did Victoria Helgessen attempt all 5, successfully, at SA.

So at the GPF, Rachael is the only one who has succeeded this season.

Doris, thanks for compiling that list! (I extracted only the ones managing all of them here.) I agree that there should be a special points bonus for anyone completing all five jumps. The feat deserves some sort of recognition, because it shows a mastery of the whole range of a skill.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Melissa Bulanhagui comes close to rotating a triple axel. With the new rules, if she gets as close as she did summer before last, she could surprise and maybe make the top 6.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, I didn't know she could do that. Still, I don't think it will matter much unless two or more of the Contenders blow the SP. I don't know that much about her. What's her average SP score? If it's, say, mid-40s, or 50, she'll need some help at the top to get to the top.

ETA: I had another look at the list of American high scores on FSU, which is linked here some pages back, I think. Her best score this season, apparently, is 133.72 (total) at Nebelhorn Trophy, which places her 12th on that list, and would have placed her 12th at last year's Nats, 15th in 2009. The 6th place finisher last year (Amanda Dobbs) just cracked 150 pts. I don't know how Mel B skated at 2010 Nats, but the question that arises is, is an 17-18 pt increase attainable for her?

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yup Rizo was 4th after the SP in 2009, and finished 7th overall. I'd say last year Amanda Dobbs coming in 6th was a pretty big surprise, especially considering her technical content and that it was her senior debut and she didn't have much of an international reputation yet.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Melissa Bulanhagui has only tried the 3A in competition at Liberty for the past 3 summers and never anywhere else... yet, anyway. At Nebelhorn this past September, she won the bronze thanks to her clean 2nd place SP that scored 51.20 (3Lz+2Lo, 3S, 2A), but was credited with landing only 3 triples in her 5th place FS (no falls, but she had underrotation calls on her 3Lz and 3F). Her highest finish in her 3 Nationals as a Senior was 8th in 2008.

Like Bulanhagui this year, Amanda Dobbs had a Senior B comp. bronze medal (2009 Ice Challenge) heading into 2010 Nationals. Dobbs' success last year was mostly due to landing the easier triples (3T and 3S) and skating pretty cleanly with speed and flair. She's been attempting the 3F this season but wasn't able to land the jump at her 2 internationals this fall (5th at Finlandia Trophy, 6th at Cup of China).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Melissa Bulanhagui has only tried the 3A in competition at Liberty for the past 3 summers and never anywhere else... yet, anyway. At Nebelhorn this past September, she won the bronze thanks to her clean 2nd place SP that scored 51.20 (3Lz+2Lo, 3S, 2A), but was credited with landing only 3 triples in her 5th place FS (no falls, but she had underrotation calls on her 3Lz and 3F). Her highest finish in her 3 Nationals as a Senior was 8th in 2008.

Like Bulanhagui this year, Amanda Dobbs had a Senior B comp. bronze medal (2009 Ice Challenge) heading into 2010 Nationals. Dobbs' success last year was mostly due to landing the easier triples (3T and 3S) and skating pretty cleanly with speed and flair. She's been attempting the 3F this season but wasn't able to land the jump at her 2 internationals this fall (5th at Finlandia Trophy, 6th at Cup of China).

Amanda's PCS at nationals last year were really pretty high though, and she came in 6th primarily because favorites bombed (although even if they hadn't, she would have still been in the top 10), I also feel like her PCS internationally are quite a bit higher than Melissa's. So even though Melissa has more jump content, PCS could hold her back from breaking the top 10 at nationals, especially if most of the ladies skate up to their potential there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
6th place in 2010 was 150 points.

6th place in 2009, I think, was ~157 points.

With the Oly pressure off this year, I'd expect the required score to place top 6 to be in the high 150s. Maybe even 160 if we have a strong comp.

Mel B's high score is 133. If she wants to reach her goal she sure has her work cut
out for her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
6th place in 2010 was 150 points.

6th place in 2009, I think, was ~157 points.

With the Oly pressure off this year, I'd expect the required score to place top 6 to be in the high 150s. Maybe even 160 if we have a strong comp.

Mel B's high score is 133. If she wants to reach her goal she sure has her work cut
out for her.

But don't you have to account for some Nationals inflation? IE Rachael Flatt getting just over 200 at Nationals and her personal best is 182.49 from the Olympics.

Though I guess it isn't always inflated. Amanda Dobbs got 150.72 but her personal best is 158 from 2010 Four Continents.

I guess you can also consider this list — SBs for 2010-2011

Czisny - 172.74
Nagasu - 167.79
Gao — 167.14
Wagner -167.02
Flat - 162.86
Siraj - 161.75
Lam - 156.41
Zawadzki -151.35
Baga - 138.70
Zhang - 133.86
Dobbs -132.45
Cessario - 122.39

With Senior B's not counting toward ISU PB's, we can plug this number in. At 133.72, Melissa is 11th behind Zhang but above Dobbs.

But she's clustered in with Baga, Zhang and Dobbs, so perhaps she could get into the top 10 and beat her 8th place finish with a solid skate. Sixth place may be stretching it given there are eight women that are in solid 150+ territory, but you never know I guess.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think most of the inflation at Nationals tends to occur near the top. I don't see many of the lower-ranked ladies benefiting from much of a score boost from their international assignments (if they had any).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Czisny now tops the season's best list with an 180+ score (beating the two junior wunderkids). This is getting very interesting. It seems she is gaining momentum. She's looking good for Nationals.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Yep, I now predict Alissa Czisny will either win Nationals or place second, either way she's on the team, even if she only lands 3 triples like she did at 2009 US Nationals against a 7-triple Rachael Flatt. Btw, I think she will land more than that this time around, she's on an upward momentum! :thumbsup:

This is her year, and I honestly hope she makes the most of it at Nationals & Worlds. At least redeem herself by earning back 3 spots for Worlds, as it was her that lost 3 spots for the Olympics. No, that I don't forget, but my anger at her has lessened. :)

It remains to be seen if she's a team player, as hopefully in the future the Olympics does include a Team Event, which has been much talked about. :)^)