Unconventional or uncommon jump entrances/exits that the casual viewer might miss | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Unconventional or uncommon jump entrances/exits that the casual viewer might miss

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why was back flip banned? She landed on one foot and even connected with a 3S. What was the rationale for the banning?

It was banned for being too inhumanly awesome. :rock:

I think they said any inverted maneuvers (aerial cartwheels, backflips, etc.) weren't allowed because of the risk. Which is pretty stupid considering how many times ice dancers and pairs skaters are inverted. Really if a "risk" is perceived, then it gets banned, like Brasseur/Eisler's headbanger spin.

Indeed my second favourite was Klimkins opposite direction camels straight into a 3S. Talk about ingenuity and creativity! :clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wonder if any cantilever maneuvers into jumps have been performed? Shawn Sawyer or Denis Ten must have attempted them at some point, no?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think they said any inverted maneuvers (aerial cartwheels, backflips, etc.) weren't allowed because of the risk. Which is pretty stupid considering how many times ice dancers and pairs skaters are inverted. Really if a "risk" is perceived, then it gets banned, like Brasseur/Eisler's headbanger spin.

Headbanger spins ARE illegal in competition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I HATE backflips. I mean, they look cool. But they are so dangerous. I cringe every time someone does them. I have seen a backflip in real life and there is not a lot of clearance between head and ice.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They're actually not as bad as you think. The impact of the feet on the landing is the worst part, not falling on your head as most people might assume. It's physics... Worst case scenario you put your hands down. Many pairs lifts (eg Berton/Hotarek) are far more dangerous than a backflip IMO.

Bartek

On the Ice
They're actually not as bad as you think. The impact of the feet on the landing is the worst part, not falling on your head as most people might assume. It's physics... Worst case scenario you put your hands down. Many pairs lifts (eg Berton/Hotarek) are far more dangerous than a backflip IMO.

Could you provide an exampe of such a dangerous lift by Berton/Hotarek? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to pairs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The one where she is inverted and his hand is in between her legs and she is behind his back. If she slips or his grip is lost she will literally nose dive into the ice.

TMC

Record Breaker
Could you provide an exampe of such a dangerous lift by Berton/Hotarek? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to pairs.

The one where she is inverted and his hand is in between her legs and she is behind his back. If she slips or his grip is lost she will literally nose dive into the ice.

Something like this... WARNING: Not for the faint of heart. If you're still going to watch you'll be happy to know that she made full recovery & they competed again only 2 months later and won Russian nationals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfX-sPtVCmg @ 2:10

ETA I scream a little inside every time I see a backflip but thanks to you CanadianSkaterGuy & your physics lesson I won't be as worried in the future ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
ETA I scream a little inside every time I see a backflip but thanks to you CanadianSkaterGuy & your physics lesson I won't be as worried in the future ;)

Hah, no worries. The only way a backflip can go truly awry is if the skater misses their pick, which is very unlikely considering it'd be like missing the pick on a flip or lutz, or goes into it with very little speed.

It's insane the control Surya has on the landing of hers (although she usually does it like a layout on a balance beam so she maintains the backwards direction momentum whereas most skaters thud on both feet). Landing on one foot is EXCEEDINGLY difficult... landing on one foot and going up into a 3S is inhuman.

I still maintain that Surya's backflip into 3S is one of the most demanding moves in all of sports.