Under rotations - what causes them? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Under rotations - what causes them?

Arwen17

Final Flight
Haha I've tried this many times on the trampoline and I've never been able to do one full revolution!!!

I had a pipe dream of doing one full revolution on the trampoline đŸ˜…

I've found trying to rotate on a trampoline 9000x times harder than doing it on ice or the ground. You think it would be easier because you get way more air time, but I can't push off and snap quickly as I can from SOLID ground or solid ice. Bouncing doesn't give me the hard traction I need for a hard push, take off, snap..... so the extra air time from trampoline is worthless since I rotate 3x times slower from lack of a strong take off.

I've always been able to rotate 1 rev on ground and ice with no prior training. Getting past 1.5 rev (on ground or ice) is what's insanely difficult, even with lots of training. I don't yet jump high enough or snap fast enough for my long body to reach full 2 rev.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Who do skaters under rotate? Are they not rotating fast enough? Not getting up high enough or far enough so not enough time to do all the revolutions?
They didn't rotate fast enough for the time they had in the air. This can be fixed by either rotating faster (pulling in tighter or creating more torque) or jumping higher (better technique or getting stronger/lighter). Usually it's obvious to an elite skater where the problem is. For me it's my rotation position. I rotate like a pencil and jump very high, so when I pull in properly, I rotate my jumps. When I don't, I don't.

And I, like many other skaters, feel and see under rotations fairly easily (and hear them too). It's a quick scrapy noise. A bad landing that isn't under will be a longer scrapy noise. It comes from the bottom of the toepick staying on the ice longer than it should.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I've had a similar question, which is: How hard is it to fix chronic underrotations? It seems a like a lot of skaters would be doing so much better "if they could just fix those underrotations," but they never seem to fix it, so I assume it's pretty hard. But then the way some people talk on here, it seems like it should be easier lol.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I've had a similar question, which is: How hard is it to fix chronic underrotations? It seems a like a lot of skaters would be doing so much better "if they could just fix those underrotations," but they never seem to fix it, so I assume it's pretty hard. But then the way some people talk on here, it seems like it should be easier lol.
The longer you’ve done something the harder it is to fix. Also fixing an isolated jump is completely different from skating a full program. When you get tired you’re going to fall back on old technique or not have the energy to jump as high and pull in as tight.
This is why it’s so important to learn correct technique the first time. Once you have muscle memory for something it’s difficult to change it.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've found trying to rotate on a trampoline 9000x times harder than doing it on ice or the ground. You think it would be easier because you get way more air time, but I can't push off and snap quickly as I can from SOLID ground or solid ice. Bouncing doesn't give me the hard traction I need for a hard push, take off, snap..... so the extra air time from trampoline is worthless since I rotate 3x times slower from lack of a strong take off.

I've always been able to rotate 1 rev on ground and ice with no prior training. Getting past 1.5 rev (on ground or ice) is what's insanely difficult, even with lots of training. I don't yet jump high enough or snap fast enough for my long body to reach full 2 rev.
I did a double on floor for gymnastics, but in combination with a full turn first. I also competed wolf jump 1 1/2s and cat leap 1 1/2s.

mikeko666

Final Flight
The longer you’ve done something the harder it is to fix. Also fixing an isolated jump is completely different from skating a full program. When you get tired you’re going to fall back on old technique or not have the energy to jump as high and pull in as tight.
This is why it’s so important to learn correct technique the first time. Once you have muscle memory for something it’s difficult to change it.
It's almost impossible to change your jumping technique if you are already a senior skater. The only one exception I can think of is Akiko. She lost her jumps completely along with her muscles (her weight dropped to 32 kg) due to anorexia when she was 18. She had to re-learn how to jump from singles while re-gaining her muscles. ISU was just switching from 6.0 to IJS when she was recovering, so Mr. Nagakubo taught her jumping technique with which she could survive IJS. But, this is an extreme example.

Last edited:

Arwen17

Final Flight
I did a double on floor for gymnastics, but in combination with a full turn first. I also competed wolf jump 1 1/2s and cat leap 1 1/2s.
Height? Gymnasts are usually pretty short, unless they're men, but men have far more strength. Tall women really struggle because we are tall like a man, but do not have the strength of a man. Not saying it's impossible, but it increases the difficulty by a lot. Hence all of the short women in figure skating and gymnastics.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Height? Gymnasts are usually pretty short, unless they're men, but men have far more strength. Tall women really struggle because we are tall like a man, but do not have the strength of a man. Not saying it's impossible, but it increases the difficulty by a lot. Hence all of the short women in figure skating and gymnastics.
I'm extremely short, 4'9", but I've had breasts and hips since middle school. I suspect that's why I could never get a triple turn.

Arwen17

Final Flight
I'm extremely short, 4'9", but I've had breasts and hips since middle school. I suspect that's why I could never get a triple turn.

I'm 5'9, so I've got a lot of limb length to control. I actually don't have much hip, butt, or breasts, I'm just sooo long! It's hard to pull my long limbs in quickly enough!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You couldn't get a triple turn because you were never trained to do it with the body you had. You were trained to do it the way that other people, with a different body, were trained to do it. There is nothing about hips and breasts that should slow down a tiny 4'9 girl if she knows how to use her body to its fullest extent. So it's not that it's harder for you, it's that you have to do it properly whereas other people can cheat and get away with it. Many coaches cheated their whole life and then teach their students the cheats.