Update on boots and Everglides for anybody interested. | Golden Skate

Update on boots and Everglides for anybody interested.

Vladik

On the Ice
Still on for my appointment on the 5th of April. Just been in contact with Everglides, unfortunately the stock they initially were getting in for me, can’t all be promised. They’ve got a Jackson Debut, Jackson Entre, Jackson Elite, Edea Chorus, Risport RF3, and Risport Royal Prime in for me.

Shame they can’t get the Royal Pro in as those were the ones I was really keen on. :(

I’m really stuck for choice now though, any advice? The Edea Chorus are more or less out of the question due to the ankle. And you guys already ruled out the Jackson Elite and Risport Royal Prime as they’re too advanced. Just wanted to clarify with you guys that these too are definitely out the question? Any chance at all these could work for me?

Leaves me with Risport RF3 Pro, Jackson Entre, and Jackson Debut. My current boots are Risport and have a stiffness rating of 45, I’m aware those ratings aren’t universal, but for reference, the Jackson Debut are 45 and the Entre are 40. I’ve already creased my Risports. Any advice? Really lost on what my options are now.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And you guys already ruled out the Jackson Elite and Risport Royal Prime as they’re too advanced. Just wanted to clarify with you guys that these too are definitely out the question? Any chance at all these could work for me?
<<Emphasis added.>> The Jackson website no longer lists the Elite, but I believe it's now what they list as the Supreme. It was first introduced as the Elite ~2020, but the name was then changed to Supreme. Jackson likes to confuse people. But looks like it's still called the Elite in the UK. But anyway, @Vladik, definitely too stiff a boot for you, especially with the new 6K tongue it comes with.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Still on for my appointment on the 5th of April. Just been in contact with Everglides, unfortunately the stock they initially were getting in for me, can’t all be promised. They’ve got a Jackson Debut, Jackson Entre, Jackson Elite, Edea Chorus, Risport RF3, and Risport Royal Prime in for me.

Shame they can’t get the Royal Pro in as those were the ones I was really keen on. :(

I’m really stuck for choice now though, any advice? The Edea Chorus are more or less out of the question due to the ankle. And you guys already ruled out the Jackson Elite and Risport Royal Prime as they’re too advanced. Just wanted to clarify with you guys that these too are definitely out the question? Any chance at all these could work for me?

Leaves me with Risport RF3 Pro, Jackson Entre, and Jackson Debut. My current boots are Risport and have a stiffness rating of 45, I’m aware those ratings aren’t universal, but for reference, the Jackson Debut are 45 and the Entre are 40. I’ve already creased my Risports. Any advice? Really lost on what my options are now.
Ok you have like two choices at this point: Stay with Everglides and possibly not get a boot you want/need for your foot b/c you are going to have to compromise big time here.

Or, find another reputable fitter in UK, I know someone suggested in other thread. And see if they can get you what you need.

I will tell you this much, STAY AWAY FROM RISPORT PRIMES! Like, don't even give them a thought. They are stiffness rating 90 and that is a huge NO for you.

RF3 Pro could work for you as it's closest rated to Royal Pro.
IIRC the Elite became Supreme in Jackson. So another no too stiff.
Supreme level boots in Jackson and Prime level boots in Risport are both no, too stiff for you and in Risport that also includes the RF1.

Good luck!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Before you cancel anything, be aware that (from what I can understand) there is a bit of a supply shortage right now. Someone else can confirm that, but if that’s the case, don’t expect other fitters to have them in stock either.

Vladik

On the Ice
<<Emphasis added.>> The Jackson website no longer lists the Elite, but I believe it's now what they list as the Supreme. It was first introduced as the Elite ~2020, but the name was then changed to Supreme. Jackson likes to confuse people. But looks like it's still called the Elite in the UK. But anyway, @Vladik, definitely too stiff a boot for you, especially with the new 6K tongue it comes with.
Thank you! I was very confused about names. Kind of confused as to why Everglides is even having me try them on in that case???

What is the new 6K tongue?

Vladik

On the Ice
Ok you have like two choices at this point: Stay with Everglides and possibly not get a boot you want/need for your foot b/c you are going to have to compromise big time here.

Or, find another reputable fitter in UK, I know someone suggested in other thread. And see if they can get you what you need.

I will tell you this much, STAY AWAY FROM RISPORT PRIMES! Like, don't even give them a thought. They are stiffness rating 90 and that is a huge NO for you.

RF3 Pro could work for you as it's closest rated to Royal Pro.
IIRC the Elite became Supreme in Jackson. So another no too stiff.
Supreme level boots in Jackson and Prime level boots in Risport are both no, too stiff for you and in Risport that also includes the RF1.

Good luck!
Thank you! This is a tricky situation. For a brief minute today, I considered the Royal Primes, but had to kick myself over it and convince myself they wouldn’t work. They’re literally a 90 stiffness!!! :palmf:
The reason I briefly considered them is because it’s one of my only options, and I have a friend in Level 5/6 Skate UK who’s just been fitted into Royal Primes and said they’re working good for her.

My issue here, is the Jackson Debut and Entre don’t seem enough. And the Jackson Supreme/Elite and Royal Primes seem far too much, so I’m given one option, and that’s the RF3. I’ve already booked and paid for the hotel down in Gosport, but if I go, I’ve only really got one boot option. I’m really stuck on what to do here. :(

Vladik

On the Ice
Before you cancel anything, be aware that (from what I can understand) there is a bit of a supply shortage right now. Someone else can confirm that, but if that’s the case, don’t expect other fitters to have them in stock either.
Bit too late to cancel anything sadly, already booked and paid for my hotel down in Gosport. :(

I’ve been on the phone with Ice Box skating and they’re getting a delivery with Risport Royal Pro either late this week or early next week. So I don’t think the supply issues apply everywhere (guess it depends what for). I’m really stuck on what to do.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you! I was very confused about names. Kind of confused as to why Everglides is even having me try them on in that case???

What is the new 6K tongue?
You're not alone. Jackson likes to cause confusion with their boot names. :biggrin:

The tongues on most intermediate/advanced boots are fabricated with a leather or synthetic front backed with a layer of sponge foam rubber (and on some, an additional microfiber liner). These are generally relatively flexible, and the foam forms a squishy cushion that conforms to your foot. The downside is that the foam backing is often the first portion of the boot to breakdown. Many techs can replace the foam, but you typically need to leave them at the shop for at least one day, often several days.

In ~2020 Jackson introduced their 6000 (6K) series tongue, described here: https://jacksonultima.com/blogs/news/jackson-6000-tongue. It replaces the sponge foam backing with a thick layer of felt. Relative to the sponge foam, the felt is more rigid and does not readily conform to your foot. It requires a lot of break in. Here's my recent post on the topic: Post #6 (and following) in

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
You're not alone. Jackson likes to cause confusion with their boot names. :biggrin:

The tongues on most intermediate/advanced boots are fabricated with a leather or synthetic front backed with a layer of sponge foam rubber (and on some, an additional microfiber liner). These are generally relatively flexible, and the foam forms a squishy cushion that conforms to your foot. The downside is that the foam backing is often the first portion of the boot to breakdown. Many techs can replace the foam, but you typically need to leave them at the shop for at least one day. often several days.

In ~2020 Jackson introduced their 6000 (6K) series tongue, described here: https://jacksonultima.com/blogs/news/jackson-6000-tongue. It replaces the sponge foam backing with a thick layer of felt. Relative to the sponge foam, the felt is more rigid and does not readily conform to your foot. It requires a lot of break in. Here's my recent post on the topic: Post #6 (and following) in

Thank you so much! I can imagine that’d require a lot of break in. I never used to think the tongue was too important.

A little further update on the situation, my mum is pretty adamant about me at least trying on the Royal Pro, and as we are travelling a long way, she wants me to be able to have more suitable options. I feel like a burden here, it’s awful. She’s however remaining pretty adamant about it and is phoning up Everglides tomorrow, as well as other shops around the UK. :(

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Don't dismiss the Jackson Debut. They would be a good boot if they fit you. I wear Debuts on my Roll Line Lineas and I'm a well-known boot killer! Frankly, I'd be advising you towards either the Debuts or the Risport RF3 Pro, which are also a really good boot and I feel would be more appropriate for you. It's pointless to try to pick a boot before you've even tried them on, so please go with an open mind.

And as mentioned above, there is a major shortage of both boots and blades at the moment, so you may have to make some compromises on what you think you want. Just don't let yourself be talked into either Jackson Elite/Supremes or Risport Royal Prime or RF1s. I know several people who have been terribly mis-sold elite level boots by a shop mentioned in the UK (not Everglides or Al's) and those boots have had very bad effects on their skating.

eclipse

Rinkside
Just don't let yourself be talked into either Jackson Elite/Supremes or Risport Royal Prime or RF1s. I know several people who have been terribly mis-sold elite level boots by a shop mentioned in the UK (not Everglides or Al's) and those boots have had very bad effects on their skating.
Honestly this, I have skated in Jackson Elites/Supremes but this was only after trying pretty much everything up to a Premiere which I managed to destroy in around 2 months of skating. The stiffness of those boots isn't to be understated as I have met people taller and heavier than me who haven't even so much have dented the boot with their skating despite having them coming up on a year.

Breaking them in required special effort because it forced the shin muscles to be worked significantly harder than before which could have very well lead to shin splints or even stress fractures if you have any risk factors or just simply over do it. Most skaters will never need a boot that stiff in their life.

Would you be able to Dm me the name of that shop as I wouldn't be surprised to know which one it is?

Vladik

On the Ice
Don't dismiss the Jackson Debut. They would be a good boot if they fit you. I wear Debuts on my Roll Line Lineas and I'm a well-known boot killer! Frankly, I'd be advising you towards either the Debuts or the Risport RF3 Pro, which are also a really good boot and I feel would be more appropriate for you. It's pointless to try to pick a boot before you've even tried them on, so please go with an open mind.

And as mentioned above, there is a major shortage of both boots and blades at the moment, so you may have to make some compromises on what you think you want. Just don't let yourself be talked into either Jackson Elite/Supremes or Risport Royal Prime or RF1s. I know several people who have been terribly mis-sold elite level boots by a shop mentioned in the UK (not Everglides or Al's) and those boots have had very bad effects on their skating.
Thanks! I’m completely open minded towards the Debut and RF3, but I don’t want to be travelling 5 hours for only 2 real boot options. I hope you understand where I’m coming from. My mum is the one driving and she’s not keen on the idea either. Thank you so much though!

Vladik

On the Ice
Honestly this, I have skated in Jackson Elites/Supremes but this was only after trying pretty much everything up to a Premiere which I managed to destroy in around 2 months of skating. The stiffness of those boots isn't to be understated as I have met people taller and heavier than me who haven't even so much have dented the boot with their skating despite having them coming up on a year.

Breaking them in required special effort because it forced the shin muscles to be worked significantly harder than before which could have very well lead to shin splints or even stress fractures if you have any risk factors or just simply over do it. Most skaters will never need a boot that stiff in their life.

Would you be able to Dm me the name of that shop as I wouldn't be surprised to know which one it is?
Thank you so much! Will definitely try them on!

Lucie

Rinkside
Bit too late to cancel anything sadly, already booked and paid for my hotel down in Gosport. :(

I’ve been on the phone with Ice Box skating and they’re getting a delivery with Risport Royal Pro either late this week or early next week. So I don’t think the supply issues apply everywhere (guess it depends what for). I’m really stuck on what to do.
Hmm I did wonder whether Everglides would be able to get in all the boots they promised to get given the supply issues currently going on.

I’d be surprised as well if Ice Box could get some Royal Pros as no one else can - I don’t trust their stock promises either since they told me they had a certain pair of blades in and then through a series of increasingly confusing conversations with them (after a long period of not receiving them) - in which they told me they did then that they didn’t then that they would order them then that they would offer me an alternative - it turned out they hadn’t but they took my money for them anyway, sent me a different pair of blades even though I said I didn’t want them and I wanted a refund, the alternative blades were the wrong size, then they tried not to give me a full refund. Run away from them, don’t walk.

I know that Al currently can get hold of RF3 pros from her supplier as I enquired about them last week, and if she hasn’t got a debut or a premiere in she can get one I should think.

Everglides won’t be a waste even if it’s only 2 possible boots, trying them on is valuable and who knows maybe one of them will be right for you. Most of the time most shops don’t have a huge array of appropriate boots to try, it is often a choice between two or three.

RF3 pros are very stiff compared to the Electra, the royal prime would be way too stiff.
I find that Risport feel much stiffer in the tongue than equivalent Jackson’s at this level of stiffness, Jackson’s just seem to be built to allow easier forward flexion while still having lots of lateral stability, at least to me.

ETA: you can’t compare a 45 in Jackson to a 45 in Risport, they do not use the same scale for stiffness

Last edited:

Elija

On the Ice
Man I’m getting scared about my own boot and blade order after seeing all these supply issue comments. I made an order for boots and blades back in January and was told the store should have them in early April and would then ship to me. But they also told me they had been waiting for my particular size since October (when it was initially meant to arrive)… so now I’m a bit dubious about whether they will arrive. Nothing was mentioned regarding the blades, I just assumed they were in stock, but now I’m thinking maybe I should not have assumed that, eek 😬 I know others at my rink who have been waiting a year and their boots are clinging of for dear life with a tonne of tape (risport in particular). Hopefully all these supply issues get sorted soon!

Lucie

Rinkside
Thanks! I’m completely open minded towards the Debut and RF3, but I don’t want to be travelling 5 hours for only 2 real boot options. I hope you understand where I’m coming from. My mum is the one driving and she’s not keen on the idea either. Thank you so much though!
If you really don’t want to go to the Everglides then I would have thought you could get the money back for the hotel booking

Vladik

On the Ice
Hmm I did wonder whether Everglides would be able to get in all the boots they promised to get given the supply issues currently going on.

I’d be surprised as well if Ice Box could get some Royal Pros as no one else can - I don’t trust their stock promises either since they told me they had a certain pair of blades in and then through a series of increasingly confusing conversations with them (after a long period of not receiving them) - in which they told me they did then that they didn’t then that they would order them then that they would offer me an alternative - it turned out they hadn’t but they took my money for them anyway, sent me a different pair of blades even though I said I didn’t want them and I wanted a refund, the alternative blades were the wrong size, then they tried not to give me a full refund. Run away from them, don’t walk.

I know that Al currently can get hold of RF3 pros from her supplier as I enquired about them last week, and if she hasn’t got a debut or a premiere in she can get one I should think.

Everglides won’t be a waste even if it’s only 2 possible boots, trying them on is valuable and who knows maybe one of them will be right for you. Most of the time most shops don’t have a huge array of appropriate boots to try, it is often a choice between two or three.

RF3 pros are very stiff compared to the Electra, the royal prime would be way too stiff.
I find that Risport feel much stiffer in the tongue than equivalent Jackson’s at this level of stiffness, Jackson’s just seem to be built to allow easier forward flexion while still having lots of lateral stability, at least to me.
I’ve been in contact with Al’s skate shop and they’re getting a Risport delivery today. I think they said they’re getting Royal Pros in my size too??? But I could be wrong, I didn’t really understand what they said.

I’m willing to try other boots of course, and although you said it won’t be a waste, my mum thinks otherwise. 5 hours to try on 1-2 pairs of boots is just a bit iffy, and I’m sure I could get the same at Al’s. The only issue is the hotel which I think is non-refundable.

Vladik

On the Ice
Man I’m getting scared about my own boot and blade order after seeing all these supply issue comments. I made an order for boots and blades back in January and was told the store should have them in early April and would then ship to me. But they also told me they had been waiting for my particular size since October (when it was initially meant to arrive)… so now I’m a bit dubious about whether they will arrive. Nothing was mentioned regarding the blades, I just assumed they were in stock, but now I’m thinking maybe I should not have assumed that, eek 😬 I know others at my rink who have been waiting a year and their boots are clinging of for dear life with a tonne of tape (risport in particular). Hopefully all these supply issues get sorted soon!
Good luck!!! What boots and blades have you ordered? And what are you in right now?

Elija

On the Ice
Good luck!!! What boots and blades have you ordered? And what are you in right now?
Ordered ice fly and gold seal (I wear a b width in edea, which is the issue, as no one ever has them in stock). I’ve been chopping and changing between ice fly and piano for years, doesn’t bother me which I wear, so i fortunately didn’t have to get fitted like you and hope they had something in my size. Currently have mk phantom blades but figured I’d give gold seals a try. I like the phantoms, just curious about trying different blades for the fun of it. Good luck with wherever you end up going for your fitting!