Update on boots and Everglides for anybody interested. | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Update on boots and Everglides for anybody interested.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks so much! Also to clarify, I don’t think my ankles and knees collapse too much inwards whilst walking, that’s what the guy at Al’s Skate Shop said. He told me I didn’t pronate that badly, only a very little bit. The issue in walking shoes is my feet point inwards (my toes pointing inwards rather than out). I’m assuming it’s all linked though.

I’ve been skating on my skates for a couple days now and I think I’m getting used to the feel. I’ve been forcing my feet outwards whilst skating, and definitely would like a pair of insoles. However, when I first tried these new skates on ice, I was unable to even get a decent outside edge because of the wider ankle. Things have definitely improved though and my edges are now better than ever. Still would like insoles though!

Thanks so much for your advice!!
This is bizarre. If the guy at Al's knew you were pronating--and pronating only slightly--he definitely should not have installed all the screws, because slight pronation can often be corrected by repositioning/realigning the blade. But at this point, doing that would be really messy. Another alternative for you at this point, since all the screws have been installed, is shimming the blade. But you need to find a tech who knows how to do shimming properly; improperly done, you can warp the blade. Ask around for recommendations. And as I said before, wait until you break in the boots more and have a coach evaluate your edges before doing any adjustments.

Vladik

On the Ice
This is bizarre. If the guy at Al's knew you were pronating--and pronating only slightly--he definitely should not have installed all the screws, because slight pronation can often be corrected by repositioning/realigning the blade. But at this point, doing that would be really messy. Another alternative for you at this point, since all the screws have been installed, is shimming the blade. But you need to find a tech who knows how to do shimming properly; improperly done, you can warp the blade. Ask around for recommendations. And as I said before, wait until you break in the boots more and have a coach evaluate your edges before doing any adjustments.
I’m definitely doing better on them now. Still needs work. It is odd that he installed all the screws, however I only noticed once I had left the shop.

Not sure what shimming is but I can infer enough from the wording itself. I’m a little hesitant.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’m definitely doing better on them now. Still needs work. It is odd that he installed all the screws, however I only noticed once I had left the shop.

Not sure what shimming is but I can infer enough from the wording itself. I’m a little hesitant.
Shimming refers to inserting spacers (such as cutouts from a sheet of plastic) between one side of the mounting plates of the blade and the sole and heel of the boot to tilt the blade slightly. In your case, since you pronate, you would insert the shims along the outside of the mounting plates. The advantages of shimming are (1) you do not need to demount the blades; and you do not need to plug old holes and drill new holes and (2) you can readily swap out shims to find out which is the right correction for you. When I do this for skaters I'm friends with, I bring a kit of shims to the rink, and I swap them out right in the hockey box; they don't even have to unlace and take their skates off. This way, I insert a set of shims; they try them out on the ice; and we repeat until we find the Goldilocks value ("This shim is too thin; this shim is too thick; this shim is just right.")

Otherwise, you now need to (1) find a sports podiatrist (or whatever they are called in the UK) experienced with fitting orthotics for figure skate boots; or (2) try out over-the-counter or custom corrective insoles/footbeds and hope one works.

Lucie

Rinkside
Never heard of those! They sound expensive though.

I’ll give you a quick run-through. Always been “pigeon-toed” as a kid. Began seeing a podiatrist (I think) at a young age. Every 6 months or so I’d go and get custom insoles made (for shoes), they’d take moulds of my feet. Issue was, they always worked (actually forced my feet outwards) for about a week, before they sort of broke in and wouldn’t have any affect anymore. Keep in mind, this short-lived effect I would get was not permanent and I never saw any long-term results. Eventually I just gave up on it all.

When I started high-school I got teased about it, so started forcing my feet outwards. Now whenever I walk naturally, my feet point outwards and it appears pretty normal, unless you pay close attention. I don’t even have to think about it anymore it just happens, but I guess that’s what happens when you’re constantly doing something 24/7. However, since starting skating, it’s really become apparent. Guess that’s what happens when you have blades on your feet! Pronation is a real issue for me. 😕

Where would I get insoles for skates?
I’ve had custom insoles made, as in the ones they warm up and shape to your feet in the shop, they gave ok correction but felt very uncomfortable as they felt hard since they were basically a heat mouldable plastic with a fabric topper. I’ve tried Superfeet as a lot of people swear by them but the arch was in completely the wrong place for the shape of my feet; and Everglides sold me Sidas insoles which give good arch support but do increase heel height and are very thin under the ball of the foot. I’m currently using the Riedell R fit insoles which come as a kit with different Velcro on arch supports and heel wedges so you can custom them to your feet yourself, this has worked quite well for me and at least as well as the customs I had. However I don’t have the degree of foot issues that you describe, just some mild pronation. There can be some trial and error finding the right insoles.

Vladik

On the Ice
I’ve had custom insoles made, as in the ones they warm up and shape to your feet in the shop, they gave ok correction but felt very uncomfortable as they felt hard since they were basically a heat mouldable plastic with a fabric topper. I’ve tried Superfeet as a lot of people swear by them but the arch was in completely the wrong place for the shape of my feet; and Everglides sold me Sidas insoles which give good arch support but do increase heel height and are very thin under the ball of the foot. I’m currently using the Riedell R fit insoles which come as a kit with different Velcro on arch supports and heel wedges so you can custom them to your feet yourself, this has worked quite well for me and at least as well as the customs I had. However I don’t have the degree of foot issues that you describe, just some mild pronation. There can be some trial and error finding the right insoles.
I think I’d rather get customs than have to go through trial and error with on-the-shelf insoles. I’m tight for money at the moment, but when I have the money, I think customs will be the route I take.

Thanks for your help!

Lucie

Rinkside
I think I’d rather get customs than have to go through trial and error with on-the-shelf insoles. I’m tight for money at the moment, but when I have the money, I think customs will be the route I take.

Thanks for your help!
And this is why I would recommend the Riedell R fit kit as you can try out different things on the same insole. The insoles that come in Risports have no real arch support.

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
And this is why I would recommend the Riedell R fit kit as you can try out different things on the same insole. The insoles that come in Risports have no real arch support.
Just had a little look online and you can get them at Al’s Skate Shop which is great. Will have to look into getting a pair. Also not sure if I ever mentioned, but I didn’t have my Royal Pro’s heat moulded upon purchasing them, as the guy recommended that if I was going to end up using insoles, I should only heat mould once the insoles are in the boots. Might take another trip to Al’s to get those insoles. Thanks!

Friday

Rinkside
Just had a little look online and you can get them at Al’s Skate Shop which is great. Will have to look into getting a pair. Also not sure if I ever mentioned, but I didn’t have my Royal Pro’s heat moulded upon purchasing them, as the guy recommended that if I was going to end up using insoles, I should only heat mould once the insoles are in the boots. Might take another trip to Al’s to get those insoles. Thanks!
Please give a proper look at them before the purchase!

I don't want to unsettle you, but I bought them too in the beginning, because I liked the option for customization. In the end I had to send them back, because for me they were too flimsy :drama:

edit: spelling

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
Please gave a proper look at then before the purchase!

I don't want to unsettle you, but I bought them too in the beginning, because I liked the option for customization. In the end I had to send them back, because for me they were too flimsy:scratch2:
Thanks! You were able to send them back??

Also do you know a good amount about blade sharpening? I’m worrying a little here. Got my skates at Al’s skate shop and they obviously sharpened the new blades. My friends are saying they’ve rounded the tail, and it does look very different from my old blades. :(

Can PM you photos if you want.

Friday

Rinkside
Thanks! You were able to send them back??
Yes! In Germany there's the option to send back unused delivery's in case they don't fit / they aren't liked.

Also do you know a good amount about blade sharpening? I’m worrying a little here. Got my skates at Al’s skate shop and they obviously sharpened the new blades. My friends are saying they’ve rounded the tail, and it does look very different from my old blades
With everything about blades, @tstop4me is your guy!

I'm not at home right now, but I might get my mother to take some pictures of my blades and send them to me. I could PM them to you as comparison?

Vladik

On the Ice
Yes! In Germany there's the option to send back unused delivery's in case they don't fit / they aren't liked.

With everything about blades, @tstop4me is your guy!

I'm not at home right now, but I might get my mother to take some pictures of my blades and send them to me. I could PM them to you as comparison?
Would be great! Will also give tstop4me a PM!