Urgent help buying figure skates | Golden Skate

Urgent help buying figure skates

GaLexie

Spectator
Hello,

I am urgently looking for some advice on buying my first pair of skates. I'm 17 years old and have been skating on rental skates (Jackson Mystiques) for a year now. I recently went to a fitter near me, and they fitted me into Risport RF3 pro boots (rated for doubles and triples) which they say are the best for me. However, i'm not sure about this because a few of my coaches have said that they are too stiff for me and would make my skating worse.

I am an intermediate level skater. Some of the current skills that I am working on are:
- waltz, toe loop and salchow single jumps
- forward scratch spins
- drags
- backwards crossovers
- forward cross rolls
- three turns and Mohawks

I am quite a heavy skater at 72kg, but I am also tall at 175cm, and I happen to have a lot of raw quad muscles which makes my skating quite powerful. I currently skate 3-4 hours a week, I am taking skate school and adult classes. I do not intend to go into competition, at most I think I would only get at far as an axel and maybe a few doubles but I'm not sure.

Part of my problem is that I have been looking at other skates such as: Risport electra light and Edea overture. However, my fitter said that because of my build I would break these skates within a year but my coaches said that I wouldn't.

I am desperately trying to get some good advice on buying skates and what stiffness is right for me, so that I do not make a costly mistake and end up buying the wrong boots for my level.

Would be great if someone could give me some boot recommendations.

thanks
GaLexie

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think I just answered you in another thread but i'll restate what I said there: You are going to kill the skates your coach suggested in one day and have a very high chance of seriously injuring yourself in the process. Listen to your fitter, sounds to me like they fitted you correctly.

GaLexie

Spectator
Thanks for all the advice this has really helped me to make a decision, and I actually ended up buying the Risport Rf 3 pro boots and I absolutely love them.

Again thanks for all the advice. :)