US Nationals - What are your thoughts? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

US Nationals - What are your thoughts?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Interesting that Alyssa's best score is 168. Kimmie at SA would easily have that beat. However, her TEB score is lower (158) so that's very telling. She should definitely drop that 3A as I think that seriously messed her up. With that off her mind I don't think any American can touch her. JMO

A fall on the Triple Axle is still worth 3.5 points. Assuming she gets a .5 GOE bonus on her double axle, which is the norm for her, she is only risking a total of .3 points by attempting the Triple Axle.

She might as well go for it and just be prepared to continue with her program unphased if she falls.

~Z

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A fall on the Triple Axle is still worth 3.5 points. Assuming she gets a .5 GOE bonus on her double axle, which is the norm for her, she is only risking a total of .3 points by attempting the Triple Axle.

~Z

That's only if she completely rotates the 3A. She didn't at TEB and netted exactly 0.20 point after the -1.00 deduction for the fall was taken. Then, rattled by the fall, on the next jump (intended to be 3T3T she did only a 1T so instead of scoring 9.5 points, she got just 3.9. Later in the program, she did only a single loop and got just 0.49 instead of the 5 points she would have gotten for a 3L.

Kimmie's 3A attempt totally disrupted her program. Instead of adding 4.2 points to her score (over a 2A), she lost 17.4 points. An additional 17 points would have given her a silver medal (over Ando) and a trip to the GPF.

R.D.

Record Breaker

She might as well go for it and just be prepared to continue with her program unphased if she falls.

Well, look how it threw her off at TEB. I don't think it's that easy to do. I don't skate but I would imagine it might throw you off and break your confidence. Actually Nats is probably the ONE place she can try it, fail, and get away with it.

Fossi

Final Flight
Kimmie won Worlds because she skated much better than the other girls. She might've won even IF they skated clean. A "clean" skate for Sasha always includes a 2footed landing somewhere. Let's give Kimmie some credit.

maybe Christine Z could challege for the podium
:rofl: you're kidding right??
Why not? She got sixth last year (ahead of Czisny) and of the ladies who finished ahead of her, Cohen is gone and Taylor and Liang have not shown anything in particular this season. Zukowski was middle-of-the-road in her Grand Prix events, which is no worse than the other U.S. ladies except Kimmie and Emily.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But just because the field is "weaker" doesn't guarantee that you'll place higher. Just look at last year's results for examples. I can't help but think it'll basically be one of those "best of the worst" comps where all the top contenders fall or make big mistakes. Nationals from the past haven't really had any "awesome" performances (outside of Kwan) IIRC in the past three or so years.

Fossi

Final Flight
.....depends on what you consider "awesome." Who was the girl that did the robot routine last year? That was unique and, IMO, quite "awesome." Someone that made CoP work for her in an original way, and IMO she stole the show.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I consider that more "unique" or "different" rather than "awesome". but that's JMO. It was a fan favorite but it didn't win her the competition.

Fossi

Final Flight
Sometimes you don't need to "win" to steal the show.
For example:
Kwan at '94 Worlds people thought she should've been on podium
Lipinski at '96 Worlds WOW~
NNN at '99 Nationals the next big thing?
Cohen at '00 Nationals the next big thing?
Kirk and AP at '03 Nationals- when everyone thought she should've beaten Cohen and Hughes
Jenny's Chicago Program all around. Everyone LOVED it, but she never won big with it.

All stole the show, but didn't win.

emma

Record Breaker
.....depends on what you consider "awesome." Who was the girl that did the robot routine last year? That was unique and, IMO, quite "awesome." Someone that made CoP work for her in an original way, and IMO she stole the show.

Stephanie Rosenthal - and she sure did capture everyone's attention, EVEN at home.

Kimmie won Worlds because she skated much better than the other girls. She might've won even IF they skated clean. A "clean" skate for Sasha always includes a 2footed landing somewhere. Let's give Kimmie some credit.
There is no question about Kimmie's win at 2006 Worlds. She was the best that night! Sasha did her usual splendid SP but somehow she chokes on LPs. Sad because I would say she is a better skater than Kimmie. Fumie was excellent but she too, always flubs something and then there was Elena S. it was her shining moment but not enough to drag her out of those poor SP scores.

I don't expect much more in 2007 but hey,it would be a great surprise if everyone skates their best.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no question about Kimmie's win at 2006 Worlds. She was the best that night! Sasha did her usual splendid SP but somehow she chokes on LPs. Sad because I would say she is a better skater than Kimmie. Fumie was excellent but she too, always flubs something and then there was Elena S. it was her shining moment but not enough to drag her out of those poor SP scores.
Joe

Elena skated a pretty good SP--she was 3rd behind Sasha and Fumie (Kimmie was 5th). But Elena bombed the QR---she finished 6th there, and that put her so far behind that even beating Sasha in the FS wasn't enough to put her on the podium.

Elena skated a pretty good SP--she was 3rd behind Sasha and Fumie (Kimmie was 5th). But Elena bombed the QR---she finished 6th there, and that put her so far behind that even beating Sasha in the FS wasn't enough to put her on the podium.
Thanks for the correction, chuckm. It was the QR. I know in Calgary, there were many voices of objections in the arena when it was shown that Elena did not make the podium.

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
When do the skaters arrive? Alissa should be the first one there knocking at the practice doors to get in.:rofl:

Why?

Most skaters have more practice ice time available to them on their regular schedules at home than when they're at competitions, so those who want/need more practice time are more likely to arrive later.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
It's sad that Alyssa is being dissed and very unfair. It's true that Kimmie is a much better jumper, but she can't match Alyssa for spinning or line. Alyssa is a gorgeous skater. If Alyssa just had better jump technique, Kimmie wouldn't have a hope.