US Nationals - What are your thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US Nationals - What are your thoughts?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who said Hughes would necessarily be the one to take advantage, if Meissner should implode?

True as well. But can you really count on the others, i.e. Alyssa, Bebe to do it? And even if they are clean will the judges score them above a so-so KM?

It's quite possible no one will step up to the plate. But it's all about the SKATE ORDER here.

Last edited:
Predictions with a few exceptions in all Forum are just listing hopes for a favorite to win.

Posters who follow the Sport of Figure Skating are very careful about predicting in a slippery sport. They consider many factors - not only the last skate of a contestant.

Since most competitions have many entrants, negative posters have a 90% chance of not making a mistake. I think that makes them special in their own minds.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Predictions with a few exceptions in all Forum are just listing hopes for a favorite to win.

Posters who follow the Sport of Figure Skating are very careful about predicting in a slippery sport. They consider many factors - not only the last skate of a contestant.

Since most competitions have many entrants, negative posters have a 90% chance of not making a mistake. I think that makes them special in their own minds.

Joe

Nope! I'm special in my own mind because I'm self-obsessed... Kimmie has nothing to do with that...:p ;) :laugh:

As always Joe, I'm waiting on your thoughts of who & what to watch out for at this year's Nationals? Not necessarily predicitions or hopes but just a general thought about what I, as a Kwaniac without my clear loyalities, should be aware of...

OK, now, in the first place, there is no possible way that Tara can beat Michelle at 1997 U.S. Nationals. P-u-lease. I didn't even bother to watch. Worlds either.

(But wait a minute. This doesn't add up right. Michelle now has ten U.S. championships, right?)

As for USC versus Michigan, I knew USC was going to win. :cry: Michigan, big and slow, has lost it's last two games -- Ohio State and a bowl game -- for three straight years. (Don't worry about Ohio State, though. That's in the bag. Troy Smith is the Kimmie Meissner of college football -- I think they referred to him that way in the last press release from Columbus.) :)

Last edited:
Nope! I'm special in my own mind because I'm self-obsessed... Kimmie has nothing to do with that...:p ;) :laugh:

As always Joe, I'm waiting on your thoughts of who & what to watch out for at this year's Nationals? Not necessarily predicitions or hopes but just a general thought about what I, as a Kwaniac without my clear loyalities, should be aware of...

There is a thread on Juniors are better than Seniors floating around. I said a mouthful on that.

NOT NECESSARILY GOLD BUT....

Rachael Flatt in Seniors. A teenybopper who has style.
The third spot in Mens I will be watching Carriere and Steenberg.
The Pairs - Vlassov and Meeksin. Hinzman and Parchedm are no more.
Dance- Davis and White, of course!

Zhang for the win. Wagner to make a statement.
Adam Rippon - A Weir clone for the win if he doesnt fall. this should be a good competition if they all stand up.
Pairs - McLaughlin/Brubakker for the win
Dance - Hubbel and Hubbel.

Just my thoughts.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mens and Dance have the biggest rivalries/edge of your seat events IMHO this year...

Ladies and pairs? who cares! lol

Joe, are you going to be in Spokane?

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Kimmie will obviously be the one to beat, but I am hoping that Emily does well. I also hope BeBe makes the team. I would be happy to see Alyssa shine, but with her jump technique being so quirky, I don't see that happening.

The men's competition should be great! I want Johnnie to win, but I have a feeling that it's going to be Evan's year.

In pairs, I am hoping that N & L do well.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
US Nationals

Kimmie better win Nationals. I think anything but gold would not only be an embarassment but also shake her confidence to the core considering her poor showing at the GP this year.

Also, IMO, the field is not that competitive at this time. Emily, Alissa, Katy and Bebe are all inconsistent skaters.

As far as Johnny and Evan go, I truly expect yet another meltdown for Johnny.

Dizzy

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kimmie actually did well at the GP. 2nd and 3rd isn't really terrible. I mean, look how BeBe and Alyssa did. Plus, she had the two toughest events while weaker skaters won easier events and got into the GP final that way.

Toni - I wouldn't miss it. What else would I do with my expendable income?:scratch: :unsure: :rolleye: :chorus: There's no smilie for Wishful Thinking. Will you make an appearance? It's not too far from Anchorage.

DizziDi; SusanBeth.- Yes, Kimmie is the one to beat but there is the teenybopper Rachaeil Flatt who will try to upset the applecart.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A poor showing for Kimmie? A 2nd and a 3rd? Who of the US ladies did better? Emily had a 5th and a 3rd, with both FS scores under 95. None of the other US ladies won medals at all. They were downright embarrassing.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Ladies - Kimmie. I would like Alyssa to win, but I think Kimmie will get it. Emily will be on the podium for sure.

Men - If Johnny Weir wants this fourth title badly enough, he will get it. I was actually not impressed with Evan's LP performance at Cup of China even though he won the gold there.

Pairs - I & B

Dance - B & A

To me, there seems no other choices for the Pairs and the Dances. I didn't pay close attention on them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dance is going to be extremely close and it's not going to be about Gold but who gets 3rd (and some say second... I agree but then I think we may see a fight for gold)

Toni - I wouldn't miss it. What else would I do with my expendable income?:scratch: :unsure: :rolleye: :chorus: There's no smilie for Wishful Thinking. Will you make an appearance? It's not too far from Anchorage.

Joe

No I will be in Anchorage during Nationals... while it starts the day I turn 22, It's also during the first full week of back to school and the fact that I have to pay for a mega family trip to Disney World (my full way and then half way for 3 others!) I just can't do it this year...

Next year I hope to make it though! And I'll be in LA for Worlds for sure!:clap:

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
I think Kimmie will win, since she has the biggest technical arsenal. If Alissa skates well, she'll be silver. If not, Emily will. Bronze???

In the men, I think Evan will win. Johnny, if he doesn't crumble, will be silver. Bronze????

Pairs will be Inoue and Baldwin, no contest.

Dance: I still think B/A will win, but it will be a close call against G/P and Davis and White. I'd like to think D/W will win silver...:agree:

All the posters seem to be naming the obvious for a win or a decision between 2 top skaters (Weir/Lysacek). Do you not see any upsets?

Can you not foresee the 3 on the podium which is never easy to pick. No 'hopes'! If you pick Alyssa, it has to be because you believe she will be on the podium.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
All the posters seem to be naming the obvious for a win or a decision between 2 top skaters (Weir/Lysacek). Do you not see any upsets?

Can you not foresee the 3 on the podium which is never easy to pick. No 'hopes'! If you pick Alyssa, it has to be because you believe she will be on the podium.

Joe

I see a major upset coming in ladies... I honestly believe with all that is good & decent in this world that BeBe will snatch that gold medal... Mark my words.

Tonichelle;219288 Next year I hope to make it though! And I'll be in LA for Worlds for sure!:clap:[/QUOTE said:
What if you run into George Clooney while in LA and he wants to whisk you off to his mansion on Lake Como? Will you say NO, just here for figure skating? hmmm.

Kwanford Wife - I see a major upset coming in ladies... I honestly believe with all that is good & decent in this world that BeBe will snatch that gold medal... Mark my words.
She's my HOPE but not my pick. And I appreciate your power of conviction.

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
I see a major upset coming in ladies... I honestly believe with all that is good & decent in this world that BeBe will snatch that gold medal... Mark my words.

Well that would truly be one of the biggest upets at Nationals.
I wonder if it would be possible for Flatt to win in her first try. That wold be an even bigger upset.

Lnt175

Spectator
I really think Meissner and Lysaseck will be hungry for their first national title. Johnny Weir just hasn't been skating well at all lately other that cheesefests.

I think Davis/White and NNN/T (for pairs) can be in contention for a top 10 at worlds. (possibly lower for Davis and White since their so new).

Angelluv

Rinkside
Major upsets can always happen, but I think Kimmie will probably take the gold in ladies. Although I would love to see Alyssa skate to her potential, and I'm hoping Emily and BeBe have good skates.

In mens I think Johnny will do it if he's in the right frame of mind. Evan will take second and third to me is open. I think Scott, Derrick or Stephen can take the third spot.

I think pairs will be interesting this year for the third spot. Rena and John should win but I think there are others waiting in the wings to show their stuff. I love the new seniors Vlassov and Meekins and Moyle and Seitz.

In dance it will be T and B. I think Melissa and Denis will win the silver and Davis and White will finish in the top five. I think Morgan and Max will take the bronze.