Votes could put Sale, Pelletier on Canadian coin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Votes could put Sale, Pelletier on Canadian coin

Hmm...I don't remember much whining coming from them. I thought they handled the whole incident with grace and dignity.

Not only grace and dignity, but good humor and forebearance. While everyone else was running around like chickens with their heads off, Jamie and David were like, "whatever happens happens."

skatingbc

Final Flight
Not only grace and dignity, but good humor and forebearance. While everyone else was running around like chickens with their heads off, Jamie and David were like, "whatever happens happens."

:agree: I thought so! For a minute there I thought I wasn't remembering the situation correctly.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why should I have had to turn off my TV? I live in the US and was not expecting to see the whine and cry show night after night on TV. To me, that was NOT entertainment. At first, I felt bad for S/P even though I thought the Russians did deserve the win. But after the third or fourth US TV appearance, I was totally sick of them.
I agree with you Chuck.

i love to skate

Medalist
Why should I have had to turn off my TV? I live in the US and was not expecting to see the whine and cry show night after night on TV. To me, that was NOT entertainment. At first, I felt bad for S/P even though I thought the Russians did deserve the win. But after the third or fourth US TV appearance, I was totally sick of them.

How exactly did they whine and cry? I saw them many times on TV and didn't notice any of that. I remember them even poking fun of themselves on The Tonight Show when Jay Leno made a skit of David as he kissed the ice and they had his tongue getting stuck! They were good sports about that and the whole situation. It was not their fault that the scandal broke out, "SkateGate" unfolded, and were followed by hoards of media 24/7.

I love to skate said:
It was not their fault that the scandal broke out, "SkateGate" unfolded, and were followed by hoards of media 24/7.
I agree. Jamie and David did not go to the news media and say please put us on TV. It was the media that kept perstering them for interviews. Wherever they went, soneone stuck a microphone in their face. They were gracious enough not to tell the reporters to get lost.

And Chuck, seriously. If there is something on TV that annoys you, your choice is to be annoyed or turn it off. You say, why should I turn off my TV? Fair enough. Then you will be annoyed.

The TV brass is not going to say, OK guys, kill the story -- Chuck's annoyed.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
The TV brass is not going to say, OK guys, kill the story -- Chuck's annoyed.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And there was me thinking if i ranted enough about something on a message board it would all be fixed!

Honestly I think if people want to get upset about anything blame the media in North America for ramming it down your throats. Other than the reports in the news about the judging scandal we didn't get anything like the media attention about it in the UK. I suppose if it had been a British pair that would have different. But still the skaters were the innocent pawns in the federations games (well there are those univestigated allegations regarding Annissina...).

Either way I was lucky enough to see B&S skate in a show in Nottingham in the summer after SLC for the Queen's jubilee and their performance moved me to tears. Their speed, flow emotional intensity in the performance - especially her - which is something i hadn't been expecting given the criticim she woud regularly come under for not emoting enough. A throw triple loop done right in front of me that seemed to cover an enormous distance and land with tremendous flow.

About a year or two ago i was also lucky enough to see S&P skate in a show here and their speed, precision, quiet blades musicality blew me away.

I haven't been lucky enough to see other world or Olympic champion level pairs, but these two were a cut above the rest of the cast they performed with respectively (except for Yuka Sato!!).

In my mind if either pair are mentioned these are the memories that come back to me, not SLC, i'm very pleased to say.

Ant

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How exactly did they whine and cry?
Some of us saw it and some didn't. I saw it and it was very disturbing to me. The only thing I thought was if they didn't whine & cry, how did they end up with a gold medal?? I felt sorry for B&S, their program was awesome and difficult!!! They ended up being in the background.

...if they didn't whine & cry, how did they end up with a gold medal?

Dee, don't you remember? They ended up with a gold medal because the French judge tearfully confessed that the competition was fixed, and the news media ran with the story.

The International Olympic Committee then pressured the ISU to cut their publicity loses as best they could by awarding gold medals to both teams.

It had nothing to do with anything the skaters did.

If someone could get an Olympic medal just by whining and crying, I'd have a couple myself!

(By the way, the ones that really came off with class were Shen and Zhao. They refused to take part in the shenanigans.)

antmanb

Record Breaker
(By the way, the ones that really came off with class were Shen and Zhao. They refused to take part in the shenanigans.)

I agree they did, but they did weigh in with their opinion that B&S were the deserved winners.

Ant

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I heard that the reverse side of the coin has Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze. :)

:rofl::rofl:

Good one!:rock:

Anyway-I've always been for NOT putting living persons on coins, street signs, boulevards, statues etc. Cheesy Imo.

My problem is this: I can't stand those two whiny losers, and since this is a Canadian coin, and I am Canadian, I would like to do everything I can to prevent this from happening.

Well put. :thumbsup:

Each time I go back and watch news footage of those two-well basically as one reporter put it they whined their way to a gold medal. I firmly think so now. jmo. But if they want to put them on a coin-whatever. Personally-I don't care.

Last edited:

John King

Final Flight
I woulda chosen Barbara Ann Scott myself. Unlike Torvill & Dean, S & P have not done enough in the sport to warrant this. Popularity in a sport does not equal impact.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree they did, but they did weigh in with their opinion that B&S were the deserved winners.

Ant

They also declined to attend the second medal ceremony-which to me at the time spoke volumes.

I really don't want to be reminded of the nasty collision during the warm-up either.

And this reminds me that in at least one television interview Jamie all but implied that she blamed Anton for the collision. That was the first time I really got put off by S & P and it went downhill from there.

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
Well considering they won the first gold medal in figure skating for Canada in 42 years I think it is a great choice. Regardless if it was controversial or not it definetly was memorable! All of the moments are so awesome though, I wanted to give them all top marks! :laugh:

Except to many of us (and yes, I'm Canadian), they didn't 'win'. Many of us think the Russians deserved it. Heck, I'd rather put Elvis or Brian on a coin - no they didn't win gold, but 2 silvers each is IMO more of an accomplishment than a team that was competing for less than 1 O's cycle, won 1 world title and 1 Olympic medal (yes, I say 'medal').

i love to skate

Medalist
Except to many of us (and yes, I'm Canadian), they didn't 'win'. Many of us think the Russians deserved it. Heck, I'd rather put Elvis or Brian on a coin - no they didn't win gold, but 2 silvers each is IMO more of an accomplishment than a team that was competing for less than 1 O's cycle, won 1 world title and 1 Olympic medal (yes, I say 'medal').

To each their own I guess. For me, they accomplished a lot and I really enjoed watching them skate and therefore I voted for them. If they end up on the coin I guess all you can do is hope you don't end up with one in your pocket! :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And this reminds me that in at least one television interview Jamie all but implied that she blamed Anton for the collision. That was the first time I really got put off by S & P and it went downhill from there.
I agree with you. How do you have a collision when you're looking at the person you're colliding with??? .....anyhow that's how it looked to me.

hongligl

Final Flight
I agree with you. How do you have a collision when you're looking at the person you're colliding with??? .....anyhow that's how it looked to me.

ITA. By the way I still remember that during an interview she said (smiling) that some team members joking that she could be a good hockey player:( . I used to like them, but everafter I just can't warm up to them, and I'm a canadian.

i love to skate

Medalist
ITA. By the way I still remember that during an interview she said (smiling) that some team members joking that she could be a good hockey player:( . I used to like them, but everafter I just can't warm up to them, and I'm a canadian.

Why is it a bad thing that they joked she could be a hockey player? It obviously means that she can take a hit!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got totally turned off by S/P because of all the whining and handwringing on the US TV talk shows. You couldn't turn on a talk program morning or evening without having to listen to Jamie whine about "their" gold medal (which hadn't been awarded yet). Her attitude of entitlement was a huge turnoff.

I agree with the poster who said they'd been around for only a couple of years, much less time than any of their competitors. Yet S/P expected everything to be given to them simply because they thought they deserved it.

I thought their "Love Story" was simplistic and slightly cheesy, and was very disappointed in them for repeating an old program when they could have been more adventurous and creative if they had done something along the lines of their "Tristan and Isolde". If they had to repeat something, why not "Tristan" instead of bathos.