Wagner and Cohen interview on USFSA website | Golden Skate

Wagner and Cohen interview on USFSA website

More info to add to the rest. Plus a photo of Sasha doing her spiral so we can discuss her fingers!

Interesting that Wagner had been approached by other skaters to be their coach and she turned them down because she didn't think it would be the right situation. Also interesting hearing Wagner say that part of what she loves about coaching competitive skating is the media. You don't hear that very often, lol.
Rgirl

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
"When we work together she brought back more of the fun and joy to training," Cohen said of Wagner. "At the same time she pushes me just as hard, if not harder. I think the two of those combined are going to be great in the long run to keep up the enjoyment, just having fun over the next few years — getting to where I want to be but enjoying the process as well."

This is a very telltale statement by Sasha--and probably a very honest one.

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Wagner and Cohen interview

Thank you for that-who knows, maybe this change will be good for Wagner and Cohen!:confused:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rgal and Ice Princess agree with both of you. Robin seems like the kind of coach you could have a little girl talk with, something that I certainly don't think happened with Nicks or TT, LOL. From her history with Sarah this could be a great choice for Sasha. Fun, yet focused.

Piel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think it's great that she has found a coach to bond with........42

LBC

On the Ice
Piel said:
Rgal and Ice Princess agree with both of you. Robin seems like the kind of coach you could have a little girl talk with, something that I certainly don't think happened with Nicks or TT, LOL. From her history with Sarah this could be a great choice for Sasha. Fun, yet focused.

Piel

I agree there. Robin was Sarah's friend as well as her coach and TT was more like a mother like figure to Sasha and Nicks like a grandfather. Robin is younger and Sasha has been with older coaches for quite some time so maybe there might be a little less of a generation gap. How old is Robin anyways?

Like others have said Robin does have that psych degree and talking things out is something she is probably a big on. Robin also saw the pressures Sarah went through and that experience may come in very handy when dealing with Sasha. At first it seemed like a strange match but maybe it isn't. We'll just have to see.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
My favorite "view" of Robin is when she put her hands on Sarah's shoulders after her Olympic skate and turned her around and made her live in the moment of the cheering crowd and the excitement of an excellent skate. At that point, they did not yet know what Sarah had done, but Robin was at least as excited, if not more. There was a joyousness in how she handled the whole situation, and it made such an impression on me at the time. Looking at Robin, I kept thinking, THAT'S how you feel when you've achieved your goals, and sure enough, they both had.

giseledepkat

Rinkside
I've been wondering about Robin's coaching situation, and the following quotes didn't exactly clear things up --

Cohen said she chose Wagner because the coach possessed the attributes she was looking for, including being dedicated to her skaters, enjoying coaching and having experience.

Wagner said earlier in the year she had some skaters interested in her as a coach. But she said she didn't pursue those relationships because she didn't think it would have been the best situation for either the skaters or her.

Does this mean that Robin hasn't been coaching anybody this season? Because dumping them 2 weeks before Nationals to go running after Miss Thang wouldn't be much of a way of showing your dedication to your skaters, IMO! I've been wondering about that ever since the announcement. Anybody have inside info?

Also, the USFSA article says that Robin and Sarah haven't seen each other since the April cheesefest -- the Mercury article says they haven't talked since then. Yikes. :eek: If that's accurate, it makes me question how much Robin really cared for Sarah as a person and wanted the best for her -- and how much it was, bottom line, about Robin's career.

rtureck

Final Flight
Robin is wealthy, and she does not need the money, so she can afford to dedicate herself to just one student. I am not surprise that she is not coaching anyone up to this point in this season.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
not talking to sarah

giseledepkat said:
I've been wondering about Robin's coaching situation, and the following quotes didn't exactly clear things up --

Does this mean that Robin hasn't been coaching anybody this season? Because dumping them 2 weeks before Nationals to go running after Miss Thang wouldn't be much of a way of showing your dedication to your skaters, IMO! I've been wondering about that ever since the announcement. Anybody have inside info?

Also, the USFSA article says that Robin and Sarah haven't seen each other since the April cheesefest -- the Mercury article says they haven't talked since then. Yikes. :eek: If that's accurate, it makes me question how much Robin really cared for Sarah as a person and wanted the best for her -- and how much it was, bottom line, about Robin's career.

I Think the reason why they hadn't talked in so long is because...well, Sarah's in college. I remember the hustle and bustle of Freshman year. I think she means they haven't talked on the telephone, but I'm sure they communicate via email and stuff. Plus, just because Robin isn't coaching, doesn't mean she isn't choreographing for other people...

windspirit

On the Ice
show 42 said:
I think it's great that she has found a coach to bond with........42
She seemed to have bonded with Tarasova as 'quickly and deeply', too. I think I'll wait a little while until I make up my mind about it. However, I'm hoping their relationship will work out, and bring results. Sasha's still one of my favorite skaters. You go, girl! :)

Apparently, Wagner is a one skater coach. That is good for Sasha, who will be the star student while on the ice. I would imagine that Nicks and TT had many studients to cope with besides Sasha.

"Focus Brings Consistency" (that would look better in Latin) that's my creative motto and I think Robin and Sasha should be a good team.

Joe

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Apparently, Wagner is a one skater coach. That is good for Sasha, who will be the star student while on the ice. I would imagine that Nicks and TT had many studients to cope with besides Sasha.
Tarasova had a few, but from I saw, Sasha was her main priority/love/fascination/whatever, so I don't think she was suffering too much in that regard. However, other students of Tarasova migh've felt a little neglected, plus she owed to spend a least some time with them. She travelled with Sasha everywhere, but I think the Russian Nats were the perfect opportunity to go with her other students for an important competiton, as well as a chance to finally go home for a while. So that might've been a factor in their parting of ways, too.

I'm an optimist, and I think it's going to work out for both parties. And Griazev, too. :) After all, he left Mishin because Mishin didn't want to work with him that much, and had his wife coach him after Andrei placed 14th in the Junior Worlds (before that Mishin was saying that Griazev's going to be next Plushenko).

LBC

On the Ice
rtureck said:
Robin is wealthy, and she does not need the money, so she can afford to dedicate herself to just one student. I am not surprise that she is not coaching anyone up to this point in this season.

Robin made quite a lot of money with Sarah and I'm guessing her husband has a job that might pay well enough that she doesn't HAVE to work. She might have wanted some time off after everything.

Robin waited for the right situation as she said and when the Cohen's came calling I bet she was overjoyed.

Robin on the beach in Florida just relaxing and she looks up and sees her husband jumping up and down with a cell phone in his hand.

Robin: What is wrong with him has he lost his mind?

Husband (what is Robin's husbands name?) : You're not going to believe it? You'll never guess who's on the phone.

Robin: Is it Sarah? Has she decided to comeback. Let me talk to her.

Husband: No It is SASHA COHEN. It seems her and Tarasova are splitting up and she's wondering whether you would like to coach her.

Robin: OH MY GOD!!!. You're not joking are you. If you are I'm going to kill you.

Husband : No take the phone.

Robin: Sasha is that you?

Galina: No actually it is her mom Galina. I'm sorry to be disturbing your vacation but it seems we've got a bit of a situation here. Tatiana is talking about leaving and going back to Russia and we were wondering whether you would be interested in coaching Sasha?

Robin: Takes a big deep breath. Well I'm avaliable but I might have to think about it a bit.

Galina : We'll give you whatever you want. Just name your price. We're desperate. Sasha is hyperventalating. We're running out of paper bags.

Robin: Oh my. Can I talk to her?

Sasha: Tries to get her breath. HELP PLEASE. The witch is dumping me just 2 weeks before Nationals. Sticks face in paper bag then comes back up. I swear I'll be good. I can skate better.

Robin: Just breathe slowly now. Let me talk to you mom again.

Galina: See what I mean? I don't know what to do? I know you've got that psych degree you maybe the only one who can help us.

Robin: So what happened?

Galina: Tatiana is a b#$$ch. She wants everything her way or no way and we had a difference of opinion. She fell over in her chair and we had to take her to the hospital. Luckly she's alive but this isn't working.

Robin: Well I'll be willing to talk to you about it. When could we meet?

Galina : Tomorrow we'll meet you in NY.

Robin: OK I'll try to get a flight and I'll call you about the times.

Galina: Thanks you are a god send.

Robin: Now off the phone... YESSSSSSSSS screaming could be heard all over Florida. She starts dancing and jumping up and down. This is it. My chance to prove I'm no fluke. Get packed we're going home.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I wonder whether Robin was disappointed that Sarah chucked it all to go to Yale because of financial considerations. I mean, doesn't a coach get a certain percentage of a skater's endorsement deals? If she could hang onto Sasha, that could be quite lucrative for her.