Weir out of men's LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir out of men's LP

The 2003 Worlds did not have many injuries that I was aware of. Sokolova was a silver medalist, Fumie was a bronze medalist, Cohen was an also-ran and La Kwan won.

Goebel almost beat Plushenko; Joubert and Lambiel made their debuts

Shen and Zhao tore down the house

Bourne and Krantz won.

The Stars were not injured.

Joe

mitzi

Spectator
The 2003 Worlds...
...Joubert and Lambiel made their debuts
Joe

Actually Joubert and Lambiel made their debuts in 2002, they also took part in Oly 2002. But in 2002 they were not in top 10, maybe that why you don't remember them.

emma

Record Breaker
Xue Shen was injured at 2003 worlds - she just pushed through somehow and was amazing. But they didn't perform an exhibition, they just stood while their LP was replayed on a video monitor.

anyway, I don't know if there are more injuries now than in 2003 - but there do seem to be a lot of both injuries and illnesses at this moment.

Fossi

Final Flight
Michelle was always injured? That's cool, but it was/is Sasha that makes excuses for a poor skate. (shingles, spider bites) so in that way Johnny reminds me lots of Sasha. If Johnny were injured maybe then we could post he was like Michelle Kwan. When was Michelle injured? WOW! She was always injured and managed to win all her medals? No wonder Yuna Kim says she idolized her. They may be more alike than thought.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
http://www.answers.com/topic/michelle-kwan

2002-03 Season:

Kwan qualified with her win from Skate America but withdrew from the Grand Prix Series Final

2003-04 Season:

Kwan withdrew from both Skate America and Skate Canada

2004-05 Season:

Kwan withdrew from both Skate America and Skate Canada

2005-06 Season

Kwan did not compete in any major events in this season due to injury.

Michelle believes in the "never complain, never explain" philosophy. We didn't know about her injuries until years later, and then from other sources.

When she went for surgery in September to repair hip problems that had been hindering her since 2004, there was no announcement until after the fact. In fact, we had to rely on the report of a fan who happened to run into her in a coffee shop to even know that Michelle was spotted in Denver for the surgery.

Deja vu. Start a thread about Johnny, first thing you know it's about Michelle.

totsuwa

Spectator
Johnny would have to have been seriously injured to not compete at the Grand Prix Final.

He loves Russia (as we all know) and he LOVES skating in Russia. He also has had to cancel skating in two shows on Red Square that he was REALLY looking foward to. He is reportedly "beyond disappointed" that he has had to leave Russia so soon.

I just hope he recovers soon and is able to make it to Nationals.

pairfan

Rinkside
Don't really know if Johnny's really hurt or not but it seems he has other interests (modeling etc,) and skating isn't a priority anymore. I just wish that if his heart isn't in it anymore he would step aside and give someone else who's working and training hard a chance. I know there are skaters out there who would love the chance to be on the podium at Nationals.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I don't understand how would Johnny interfere with "someone else"'s desire to be on that podium. If "someone else" skates well, he'll be on the podium. No?

pairfan

Rinkside
I'm sorry, I don't understand how would Johnny interfere with "someone else"'s desire to be on that podium. If "someone else" skates well, he'll be on the podium. No?

Right...but Johnny seems to have just enough in him to make it on the podium and once he's done that we get to see crappy skating from him for the rest of the season and Gran Prixs next season. I just wish he would take it more seriousley. I'm SO over him.. his constant excuses are a JOKE.

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Johnny's had an extremely crappy start to his year, which is weird normally he is great early in the season peaking at nationals and then "bombs" (though his bomb normally isn't an average bomb lol) come Worlds... I hope he figures out the magic combo soon, if not just for himself but for the state of US mens figure skating, with Weir and Lysacek possibly out our world team could be in serious trouble!

Could you explain to me how it is Weir is considered to have had an "extremely crappy" start to his year? He was 3rd at Skate Canada behind Lambiel and Takahashi, and 2nd at Cup of Russian behind Joubert. He has not lost to anybody he wasnt supposed to lose to really. He did not finish the GP final so one cant evaluate him there, Oda passed the French skater and Weir probably would have as well, if he had finished 4th in that field it would have been where he is supposed to finish vs Joubert, Takahashi, and Oda.

I dont understand why some of you people seem to regard Weir as a frontrunner who is supposed to be winning events, and should be on the podium at each major event. He has lost to Joubert every single time Joubert has even skated decently, every time he beat Joubert Joubert bombed out his performances, now that Joubert is rejuvenated and back stronger then ever after 2 inconsistent seasons Weir should never be expected to beat him right now. I dont remember the last time Weir beat Lambiel, maybe when they were juniors? I also dont remember the last time Weir beat Buttle, again maybe when they were juniors? Weir has only beaten Lysacek at U.S Nationals once in the last 2 years, every other time he lost. Weir has lost most of his meetings to Takahashi and Oda since the start of last season, and they are younger and improving quickly.

People seem to have unrealistic expectations of Weir. He is not one of the very best, he is a good second tier skater and his results are exactly what people should expect of him. To expect more is to be expect more then is realistic for him perhaps. Lambiel, Joubert, Takahashi, Oda, Buttle, and maybe Lysacek are simply better skaters and stronger competitors then him and he is a good skater who trails behind that group in the top of the next group.

temperboy28

Match Penalty

What I mean is in the last 2 seasons the only win Weir has over Lysacek is U.S Nationals by 1 point. Every other time they meet in the last 2 seasons Lysacek beats Weir. When they are not competing head to head Lysacek still outdoes Weir by say doing better in the GP circuit even not in the same events. Lysacek has pretty much consistently dominated Weir the last 2 seasons, and the one tiny exception is Weir winning the U.S Nationanls last year by 1 point only over Lysacek.

So you can add Lysacek to the list of guys-Joubert, Lambiel, Buttle, now Oda, now Takahashi, and Lysacek who should be expected to beat Weir when they meet him and people should not be surprised Weir is losing to these people. I dont understand there being any surprise in his losing to any of these people, it is what I expect.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
When he said the last 2 seasons he obviously means this season and last season. Unless Weir beat Lysacek at some cheesefest the only event Weir has beaten Evan, or only place Weir has outdone Evan, in the last 2 seasons is last years U.S Nationals, that is it, nothing else.

I prefer Weir to Lysacek but agree Lysacek is the best U.S skater right now. Hopefully he wins U.S Nationals if both are healthy to go since it is about time the American who actually has the best international showings by far is the U.S Champion.

Last edited: