What Americans are likely to retire? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Americans are likely to retire?

desertskates

Medalist
Wagner is a very strong, independent individual. I highly doubt she will base her retirement plan off of how another skater is doing. Although Ashley obviously wants to win, you can tell she truly loves skating for what it is. Also, Ashley is just getting into her groove. I highly doubt she will call it quits after this season. She will want to skate at Worlds in 2016 in front of the home crowd.

As for the rest of everyone, here are my predictions for who will retire after this season:

Ladies- Joelle Forte (27 years old), Caroline Zhang, Rachael Flatt, Alissa Czisny

Men - Jeremy Abbott, Douglas Razzano

Pairs - John Couglin (but I'm sure Caydee will find a new partner)

Ice Dance- I don't really follow it, but perhaps Davis and White if they win gold in Sochi. I think it's best to retire on a high note.

That would have been my exact answer! :thumbsup:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why did mahbanoozadeh retire??

His official reason was to focus on school (he is going to Dartmouth University).

My speculation is he felt that he wasn't getting the results he needed to continue and I also would argue the USFSA really threw him under the bus in 2012 in naming Richard Dornbush as 1st alternate to the 4CC team over him despite the fact he won the pewter medal (4th)! (Richard was 13th.)

I also think he had been dealing with injuries.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would not be surprised if D&W retire if they win the gold medal, but I bet they will do Worlds this year in any case.
Abbott will retire.

I wonder whether Hubbell & Donohue will retire if they do not make either Worlds or Olympic team?
I wonder whether K/G-S will retire, or will they try one more year?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would not be surprised if D&W retire if they win the gold medal, but I bet they will do Worlds this year in any case.
Abbott will retire.

I wonder whether Hubbell & Donohue will retire if they do not make either Worlds or Olympic team?
I wonder whether K/G-S will retire, or will they try one more year?

Nah, I don't see any of the dance teams -- except for D/W -- retiring. The field for USA No. 1 is wide open after D/W retire and I don't see why H/D wouldn't want the opportunity to fight for that spot. That said, Hubbell's injury might be a factor also.

mary01

Final Flight
Alissa, Rachel, Caroline Zhang, I'm not sure about Mirai but for some reason I think she might continue

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ashley? Hmmm. I think another two years and if she is doing well on the circuit maybe until 2018. I hope she at least makes world podium this year. How can she miss if Mao, yuna, Caro, Akiko all retire after Olys? I am assuming all will. I hope Akiko goes to Worlds, as she has another shot with Mao gone. I do much prefer her to kanako.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley? Hmmm. I think another two years and if she is doing well on the circuit maybe until 2018. I hope she at least makes world podium this year. How can she miss if Mao, yuna, Caro, Akiko all retire after Olys? I am assuming all will. I hope Akiko goes to Worlds, as she has another shot with Mao gone. I do much prefer her to kanako.

I don't see Mao not going to Worlds. If she says so I think it's likely that she is bargaining to get paid for attending. At least that would be my plan for her if I were her agent.

coppertop1

On the Ice
I think Ashley will stay, she is just peaking now she has a good chance of breaking through, and she's only 22, so still young enough to keep going for another quad.

I think Flatt, Mirai and Zhang will retire. Sad, they were expected to be the next ones, yet never really materialized after 2010. Calling someone "the next one" seems to be a curse.

I thought D/W may retire since they'd have done it all by this year, but I don't think they said, have they? So maybe it's playing it by ear.

Jeremy Abbott will likely retire, he has so much talent yet never able to really break though. How long has been on the scene for?

I don't know enough about pairs in the US to make that call.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Nah, I don't see any of the dance teams -- except for D/W -- retiring. The field for USA No. 1 is wide open after D/W retire and I don't see why H/D wouldn't want the opportunity to fight for that spot. That said, Hubbell's injury might be a factor also.

Hubbell is injured??

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hubbell is injured??

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/12/03/64354274/hubbells-scope-ice-dancer-pushes-through-pain

Our assignments couldn't have been more perfectly arrannged this season. What we thought would be an unfortunately tight schedule -- with no time to work and improve between events -- turned out to be crucial in my ability to compete. Not only did I have the least amount of time to have to train through pain, but with an early finish, I had time to get a diagnosis and treatment plan without interfering with training for nationals.
The week after Skate Canada, I headed to Hospital for Special Surgery in New York to see an orthopedic specializing in hips. I was able to have all the tests necessary to determine the nature of my injury. What I have is a labral tear, something that seems to be an increasingly frequent diagnosis in our sport. In my case, the doctor gave me the go ahead to keep training, with a treatment plan that is aimed to not only eliminate a lot of pain but also strengthen the area so that the injury does not get worse. At the beginning, I had to start slowly, and the pain was not much improved. But I am almost back to full training, and the pain is dwindling as I keep working the treatment program.

The injury is similar to the one that both John Coughlin and Alissa Czisny dealt with. It sounds like she's OK now, but it's hard to predict whether she'll get through it fully (like John) or it will prove to have an adverse career-ending effect (like Alissa).

I'm hoping for the former, of course.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since she doesn't have to jump, I have high hopes that she'll make a full recovery.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I agree that Flatt and Gao will be likely to retire. They both attend elite universities with high academic expectations and have that going for them. Flatt has a national title and went to the olympics, which is a lot more than most skaters can say. She should be proud of what she has accomplished. That being said, if she wants to skate to have something besides her academics that is also understandable and I think she realizes she's not going to have her 2008-2010 results. Gao should also be proud of her accomplishments but I also think she'll want to get back on track at Harvard. If I'm not mistaken, she has said in the past she considered quitting the sport after placing 5th in consecutive years. I think if her olympic dream doesn't materialize here, she may choose the academic route.

I hope D/W don't retire right away...they have a lot more performing to do!
I think Lynn and Logan may retire. Not entirely sure why, but I just have a feeling.

In pairs, depending on how Davis and Brubaker finish, I think Brubaker may retire. He was much more successful with his two previous partners and I really don't think he and Davis really have that "it" factor. Since she has also had quite a few partners over the last few seasons, I'm not sure how invested they will be in continuing through another olympic cycle. He is also reaching an age where it may not be best for him to pair up with a younger partner.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think Gao will continue. I dont see her packing it in until she makes a World team. Even if she makes the Olympic and World team this year I think she will continue. She seems happy to have a balance of school and skating. I think Flatt probably wont continue, but in her case it will be more hard to have results so far below when she used to be U.S #1.

I think Davis & White will continue in shows, not competitions. If they dont win gold in Sochi (and I think they will win gold in Sochi) they might continue, but even then I am not sure if they will. I am not sure they would want another 4 years, and I dont see them staying if it werent for another Olympics.

desertskates

Medalist
Someone mentioned earlier on that John Coughlin would be a likely retiree (and I agree) and that would leave Caydee looking for a partner. I think Rockne Brubaker could maybe hang on for a couple of years and make a great pair with her.

Zamboni

On the Ice
Probably all of the pairs teams in the U.S. will retire or find other partners. The American teams never seem to stay together.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Someone mentioned earlier on that John Coughlin would be a likely retiree (and I agree) and that would leave Caydee looking for a partner. I think Rockne Brubaker could maybe hang on for a couple of years and make a great pair with her.

Caydee may be too tall for Rocknee. He is only 5'9", if I am not mistaken she is now 5'0". It would be close especially as she is not overly petite. MBM was only 4'9" when they were together (she has now grown a whopping half inch) and Keanua is currently 4'11' but if I'm not mistaken was also only around 4'8" or 4'9" when she and Brubaker skated together. Lindsay Davis is 4'10 1/2 " and frankly he sometimes seems to be struggling to lift her.

Rocknee is an excellent pairs skater but his height is a huge limiting factor.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Probably all of the pairs teams in the U.S. will retire or find other partners. The American teams never seem to stay together.

I actually don't see this at all with the current crop of US pairs. You have teams who have been together for some time like C/S & D/S and I think there's a lot more promise in our pairs ranks than there has been in a long time with C/S, S/K and D/F. But I wouldn't at all mind seeing Caydee & John retire although I suspect she'll hang around.

macy

Record Breaker
alissa kind of announced her retirement when she withdrew from sectionals...sort of. but i think an official statement is coming soon :cry:
jeremy is for sure retiring after this season, he has already said it.
i think caroline is done, along with rachael. maybe christina.

if they all do, i will be extremely sad to see them go. i loved the past few years of skaters very much, but i am proud of all they accomplished.