What Can You Learn Without a Coach? | Golden Skate

What Can You Learn Without a Coach?

Hippophile

Spectator
A little disclaimer before I move on. I am fully aware that it is unsafe (obviously) to learn complex figure skating moves on your own without a coach.

But after doing some research, I see that some have learned basic moves at home, such as crossovers (forwards and backwards), edges, and so on. Is this a viable option for me since I do not currently have access to a coach? I do have ice available, though.

What could I learn on my own and where would you draw the line, if I could learn anything on my own at all? I obviously don't want to learn bad technique, only to have to fix it later in life, if I even am capable of such a thing.

Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
A little disclaimer before I move on. I am fully aware that it is unsafe (obviously) to learn complex figure skating moves on your own without a coach.

But after doing some research, I see that some have learned basic moves at home, such as crossovers (forwards and backwards), edges, and so on. Is this a viable option for me since I do not currently have access to a coach? I do have ice available, though.

What could I learn on my own and where would you draw the line, if I could learn anything on my own at all? I obviously don't want to learn bad technique, only to have to fix it later in life, if I even am capable of such a thing.

Thanks!
The basics are some of the most important to learn with proper coaching in person. Please do not attempt to learn it yourself.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You can learn how to do anything you want on your own if you are okay with doing it badly.

Girlbird

On the Ice
How to fall and stand up again off and then on the ice can be learned from YouTube. Anything else - prepare for bad habits.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Also, please DO NOT attempt to learn anything from the internet. YouTube is not a coach. A coach will be able to correct you in real time and fix an problems. There are plenty of classes and workshops that will teach you the basics. You can even do them with friends.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Please just go get a coach or join a learn to skate class.

If you have access to them, Learn to Skate classes are a ton of fun! I skated a lot as a kid, but on hockey skates with no formal training at all. I started LTS classes as an adult in my 30s and had an absolute blast. The instructors were really great, and I made really quick progress through the basic skills because I was getting proper demonstrations and feedback in real time.

I can understand why being in a class might seem a bit intimidating if you've never had formal training in figure skating before - but with LTS, especially for adults, everyone should be there to have fun and provide a supportive atmosphere.