What is the likely Korean ladies line up for Worlds | Golden Skate

What is the likely Korean ladies line up for Worlds

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And 4cc etc. what is the likely podium at Korean Nationals? Does Korea have just two spots for worlds? Who is the ladies favorite now in Korea? And how will any talented young girl ever live up to the Yuna Kim memories we have?sigh.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The 4CC team is decided, the trio (Yelim, Eunsoo, Young) will be going. Nats is this weekend so the two Worlds entries will be decided by it, the top 2 senior eligible ladies will be sent. I don't see a clear favourite for the champion's seat, if Young lands her 3As she will be the winner but she isn't 100% consistent with it. Yelim won the ranking comp just two weeks ago, and if clean Eunsoo could aim for a second gold as well. Haein has been very consistent so far and is one of the podium faves but she's not senior eligible yet. Nats will be a nailbiter for sure, our ladies are going pretty strong overall.

As for "living up to the Queen's memories", that's just being unfair. The Queen was a miracle, an once-in-a-century miracle at that. She is the one who opened the door, paved the way, and in that alone she remains untouchable. She's not someone to be lived up to, she is what she is and her successors are bright stars in their own right. Like, I've never seen the Japanese ladies being asked to live up to Asada Mao or Arakawa Shizuka, or hell, Ito Midori if we're to go up the timeline. Why should it be different for our ladies?

frida80

Record Breaker
The 4CC team is decided, the trio (Yelim, Eunsoo, Young) will be going. Nats is this weekend so the two Worlds entries will be decided by it, the top 2 senior eligible ladies will be sent. I don't see a clear favourite for the champion's seat, if Young lands her 3As she will be the winner but she isn't 100% consistent with it. Yelim won the ranking comp just two weeks ago, and if clean Eunsoo could aim for a second gold as well. Haein has been very consistent so far and is one of the podium faves but she's not senior eligilbe yet. Nats will be a nailbiter for sure, our ladies are going pretty strong overall.

As for "living up to the Queen's memories", that's just being unfair. The Queen was a miracle, an once-in-a-century miracle at that. She is the one who opened the door, paved the way, and in that alone she remains untouchable. She's not someone to be lived up to, she is what she is and her successors are bright stars in their own right. Like, I've never seen the Japanese ladies being asked to live up to Asada Mao or Arakawa Shizuka, or hell, Ito Midori if we're to go up the timeline. Why should it be different for our ladies?

Well said. :clap:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree point well taken IChat. But the fact that Yuna was so huge, a beauty, the first from Korea to have this success makes everyone see her through rose color glasses. All the top young ladies are each special and I think Eunsoo should be described as exquisite. Sadly she gets nervous. I’d love to see her practices. Also Yuna had this charm and a special quality that her Canadian training developed if you listen to her beloved choreographer David Wilson but she had this amazing competitive nerve that made her a champion.

I like all the Korean Top girls. But all seem nervous and too serious. It seems a special pressure to try to follow a class act like Yuna. As for the Japanese ladies, Shizuka Arakawa may be a huge deal still in Japan. I don’t know but likely you do. As far as how the rest of the world saw her? Very good but her free skate in Turn Oly was not memorable and she could do way more technically than she did. Sasha has the sp of the decade. But off course blew it in the long.

So Arakawa did a triple double when she practiced 3x3x3 and was a very consistent triple jumper. No one talks about her here like they did Yuna in 2010. And Yuna 2014 had less firepower and less zeal but had matured beautifully and we got to see two clean skates. I think her sp was very memorable and the only thing people could say was they didn’t like the color dress. I never watch Shizuoka but I do still watch Yuna Sp in Sochi. Sublime. Yuna became a world star. How does anyone live up to this girl we all know is a huge philanthropist who was that rare competitor like a Michelle Kwan? As for Mao Asada I think skate fans miss her and for many she was an all time great. I do not know what the Japanese think of the current stars in relation to the past ladies. I personally think Arakawa is very beautiful. I have many skaters from Japan I liked better than her. But her big Olympic moment while clean was not exciting at all or memorable for me. Gold or no gold. She didn’t do what she could have she played it very safe and that is not Olympic. Yes she was the first and only Japanese lady to win Oly gold but in a forgettable performance imo.

They called her cool beauty. Mao Asada I know was a rock star in Japan. We saw her as a young girl mature into a beauty with triple axels. So I think we fans absolutely compare the young ones to Asada and wish them the years to achieve her sometime great skates. To finish, even I was sad when Yuna stopped skating but we did see her maturation. The miracle was her competitive nerve. How rare was that! The young ladies have great skills but not this cool, collected confidence as yet. I was sad Eunsoo left RAF. She is my favorite and I hope she does well makes team and has a great 4cc and worlds. She is the definition of exquisite imho.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
(deep, tremendous sigh)

That's exactly why I'm touchy on the subject, I can't stress the fact enough that the Queen literally is a miracle. She had everything, jumps, spins, speed, skating skills, artistry, charm, expression, musical sensitivety, beautiful lines (and a lovely visage), mental strength, composure, all that and more. She wasn't just a breakout star, she was the star. To paraphrase a user from twitter - The God of figure skating descended directly down to Korea to be Kim Yuna.

That's of course hyperbole, but that kind of magnificence is how Korea "discovered" figure skating. Before her, most people didn't even know it existed (although as a child I lived through that time, can testify). It's been a decade now but still most people only know her and her glorious skating at Vancouver. That's the kind of expectation literally every single Korean skater has to face. And the media adds to the pressure in bucketloads by hyping each and every skater who happens to have medaled or achieved something to replicate her career, OGM included.

Our ladies look nervous and serious because they are. No matter how great they do it can't be enough to the eyes of the media and sadly, most of the public. They want 'at least' the Queen or better, which is just simply impossible. And that's the domestic audience. Lord heavens above.

That's why I hate any "second Yuna" shenanigans or anything of that line, the Queen already happened. She is an once-in-a-century miracle, you don't get any more within the century (assuming it does happen again). People aren't disappointed because there never was another Leonardo Da Vinci in Italian painting (and et cetera) because that's just fair. It's the same here. Why make all the skaters' lights dim and weak in comparison, the Queen is the Queen and our ladies have their individual brilliances. That's that.

Finally, on squirtle. She's a perfectionist, she's harsh on herself and that is one of the reasons why she gets nerves. As a fellow perfectionist I very much do understand why, the higher your goals are the scarier is the fall of failure. You get scared, you start to fumble, things fall apart. She has grown a lot in that aspect though, she is much more composed and determined than last season. I have faith in that she'll grow even stronger as she develops further, she just needs to land that damned salchow (sigh)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Expecting current Korean ladies to be like Yuna is to me like expecting every young Japanese male skater to be like Yuzuru... I mean come on... some gotta manage their expectations (i.e. people/media/officials).

Zamin

Rinkside
Derailing this thread a bit to talk about juniors:
I found a timetable of the competition and it seems that senior and junior Nats are held together? If so does the result matter for the junior world's line-up or was it already decided at the ranking competition? How many spots for team Korea at Junior Worlds? Can we expect to see any of the senior ladies there if they are still age eligible?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Derailing this thread a bit to talk about juniors:
I found a timetable of the competition and it seems that senior and junior Nats are held together? If so does the result matter for the junior world's line-up or was it already decided at the ranking competition? How many spots for team Korea at Junior Worlds? Can we expect to see any of the senior ladies there if they are still age eligible?

The junior/senior distinction is a domestic one, think US Nats and how 13 yo Alysa Liu became the National champ. JW entries (2 tickets) are decided by senior Nats as well, I'm not sure whether age-eligible senior ladies will go if they miss out the senior WC spots. Technically all the trio are age eligible for JW (16, 16, and 15), so one of them could go to JW with Haein (who is in all likelihood going). We'll have to wait and see on that.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
That's why I hate any "second Yuna" shenanigans or anything of that line, the Queen already happened. She is an once-in-a-century miracle, you don't get any more within the century (assuming it does happen again). People aren't disappointed because there never was another Leonardo Da Vinci in Italian painting (and et cetera) because that's just fair. It's the same here. Why make all the skaters' lights dim and weak in comparison, the Queen is the Queen and our ladies have their individual brilliances. That's that.

Thank you for saying about Yuna what I wish I could say to some people about Yuzuru but don't trust myself to do it this nicely. :laugh:

Whichever Korean ladies go to Worlds, I'll enjoy them all for themselves. :)

lusterfan

Final Flight
Young You has the most technical firepower to contend with the World, so I think she deserves to be on the Worlds team. That 78 she scored at Skate Canada is indicative of international judges being willing to go for her, as long as she can keep that 3A up. Her SP tends to be the less consistent program of the two, but she performed brilliantly in the SP at nationals. Her FS tends to be magnificent even with her 3A falls, so I'd expect her to take the National crown yet again. At her very best, she could even help Korea get 3 spots, but that would heavily depend on how the second Korean lady performs.

The second spot I'd be willing is between Yelim and Eunsoo. Had Eunsoo maintained her consistency this season, she would've been able to ride the momentum from last season, but sadly she was not able to capitalize. This sport has so much to do with reputation that although I disagree, we kind of have to make predictions based off it anyway. Assuming both are clean, Eunsoo has more reputation than Yelim and will most likely score higher in PCS and GOE. Yelim started off a little rocky and was/will receive some new senior score deflation, but Yelim is looking very strong currently! I wouldn't be surprised if she beats Eunsoo at Nationals to claim the second spot. Eunsoo fought hard last season to get Korea 2 spots, so it's a shame she might get knocked out this year. But who knows! She might blow everyone away with a magnificent FS at Nationals and make Worlds yet again!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I personally would like to see Young You, Yelim Kim & anyone but Eunsoo Lim

... Well, you can have your reasons for not wanting to see Eunsoo at Worlds. This season we only have two tickets, so if Yelim is the second-highest ranked senior eligible lady after the free (assuming Young is the first) then Young and Yelim will go. If Eunsoo is the second-highest Young and Eunsoo will go. Highly unlikey, but if Young bombs Yelim and Eunsoo could go. Unless judges start giving Haneul some proper GOE it'll be a combination of the trio.

micromegas

Rinkside
... Well, you can have your reasons for not wanting to see Eunsoo at Worlds. This season we only have two tickets, so if Yelim is the second-highest ranked senior eligible lady after the free (assuming Young is the first) then Young and Yelim will go. If Eunsoo is the second-highest Young and Eunsoo will go. Highly unlikey, but if Young bombs Yelim and Eunsoo could go. Unless judges start giving Haneul some proper GOE it'll be a combination of the trio.

Boy am I red in the face. This is what I get for not reading through the thread - lesson learned Thanks for setting the record straight.

Anyway, hopefully Young You and Yelim Kim ��